more Ameriflight....

Oh, wow dude, I just saw this thread and didn't really look into it because it was about amflight, but holy crap.

For the record, Huggies is talking about me.

Here's the story, I left Martinaire and went to work for another company because I couldn't make it on Caravan pay. Didn't care for the new job - well, not so much the company, rather my QoL sucked there and I had some "family" issues that kind of happened. It sucked, but yeah, I didn't want to really like what I was doing. Called up my old boss at Martinaire to ask if I could use him as a reference, a week later he called and offered a 1900 route out of FSD. My QoL is already demonstrably better, and I'm typed in the 1900, and they got me my ATP, and they gave me a raise off of caravan pay. I'm making less than I made at the interim job, but not so much that its really effecting my quality of life due to the cheaper cost of living. No, I don't make as much as the Encore guys, but I'm happy to go back to my old job. In fact, I'm ecstatic.

Martex is one of the best places to work in UPS freight other than compensation. Generally speaking, the company has your back (mmmmm coolaide!) and the schedule is pretty laid back. Runs come and runs go, not sure how long I'll have mine, but I weighed the ethics when I was offered the position. "Yes I'll make less money, what happens if I don't take the run? Will that change anything?" No, they'll just hire someone else to put on it. I decided to take the run. And believe it or not, about the second person I called was Jhugz, I said, "man, I know you're gonna be pissed, but I gotta do this." Best thing for me is that I'm getting my life back, I have a normal schedule again, and can sleep instead of waiting for the phone to ring. It sucks that you guys lost your runs, it wasn't personal, if it wasn't me, it've been someone else, those runs were going to go to Martex regardless, I imagine you'll get some of our runs here, or elsewhere in the system in time.

Before Encore got those runs, they were Superior's Runs. Superior is owned by Martinaire now. The circle of life continues.

Oh, wow dude, I just saw this thread and didn't really look into it because it was about amflight, but holy crap.

For the record, Huggies is talking about me.

Here's the story, I left Martinaire and went to work for another company because I couldn't make it on Caravan pay. Didn't care for the new job - well, not so much the company, rather my QoL sucked there and I had some "family" issues that kind of happened. It sucked, but yeah, I didn't want to really like what I was doing.

Fair enough, I'm glad you got out of there.

Called up my old boss at Martinaire to ask if I could use him as a reference, a week later he called and offered a 1900 route out of FSD. My QoL is already demonstrably better, and I'm typed in the 1900, and they got me my ATP, and they gave me a raise off of caravan pay. I'm making less than I made at the interim job, but not so much that its really effecting my quality of life due to the cheaper cost of living. No, I don't make as much as the Encore guys, but I'm happy to go back to my old job. In fact, I'm ecstatic.

You're flying two UPS routes as one pilot. We had 5 pilots flying the two routes you are now. Two of those pilots are JC members. You're flying two routes at a salary WAY less then one of our pilots flying ONE route. Some may say, well salary can't affect the bidding process all that much. I'm not going into specifics on a public forum, but will say, it absolutely does.

Martex is one of the best places to work in UPS freight other than compensation. Generally speaking, the company has your back (mmmmm coolaide!) and the schedule is pretty laid back. Runs come and runs go, not sure how long I'll have mine, but I weighed the ethics when I was offered the position. "Yes I'll make less money, what happens if I don't take the run? Will that change anything?" No, they'll just hire someone else to put on it. I decided to take the run. And believe it or not, about the second person I called was Jhugz, I said, "man, I know you're gonna be pissed, but I gotta do this." Best thing for me is that I'm getting my life back, I have a normal schedule again, and can sleep instead of waiting for the phone to ring. It sucks that you guys lost your runs, it wasn't personal, if it wasn't me, it've been someone else, those runs were going to go to Martex regardless, I imagine you'll get some of our runs here, or elsewhere in the system in time.

It may not be personal to you, but still is to me and the other JC members. You knew what our opinions were on it before taking it. Crap man we talked in great lengths about this when you were at the other company. You're right, if you didn't take it, someone else would have. That other person would hopefully of not been someone who I called a friend.

Before Encore got those runs, they were Superior's Runs. Superior is owned by Martinaire now. The circle of life continues.

15581-paper.gif

So let me get this straight Huggies. You make fun of and take serious digs at regionals for such play but now that it happened to you you're pissed?

Crap happens and you move on. God knows Flight Express is now flying lots of ex-AirNet runs. I learned that you can get agitated or just realize it's just part of the deal. At Amflight I was flying a route for a bit a DC-9 used to. Did I goto DHL and suggest this...no they put a bid out and Amflight won. If there was no outbidding and change it would all be UPS flights and there'd be no feeders.

Funny stuff! Were all jerkin each other off and reaching around the same time. So Im flyin purple boxes in a 1900 which we stole from Empire in an ATR who stole that run from.......blah blah blah

Crap happens and you move on. God knows Flight Express is now flying lots of ex-AirNet runs. I learned that you can get agitated or just realize it's just part of the deal. At Amflight I was flying a route for a bit a DC-9 used to. Did I goto DHL and suggest this...no they put a bid out and Amflight won. If there was no outbidding and change it would all be UPS flights and there'd be no feeders.

There is a reason the 'Net is not competitive in the UPS market. One word: Pay.

What kind of dual management and pilot positions are there in AMF? I can guess Chief pilot, but I assume there might be a pilot in charge of each base... can someone elaborate on how the organization structure is (is Chief pilot also in charge of MX also, etc...)? I would be interested in being in a managerial role plus flying from time to time... not sure if it's possible, but am exploring options. Even though I'm posting this in AMF thread, I'd be curious for the generic org structure for similar 135 Freight operations. Just looking for somewhere to utilize the managing experience I have from the Air Force as well as the piloting skills I am looking to develop in the coming months. Any/all info from you pros is appreciated! Thanks!

What kind of dual management and pilot positions are there in AMF? I can guess Chief pilot, but I assume there might be a pilot in charge of each base... can someone elaborate on how the organization structure is (is Chief pilot also in charge of MX also, etc...)? I would be interested in being in a managerial role plus flying from time to time... not sure if it's possible, but am exploring options. Even though I'm posting this in AMF thread, I'd be curious for the generic org structure for similar 135 Freight operations. Just looking for somewhere to utilize the managing experience I have from the Air Force as well as the piloting skills I am looking to develop in the coming months. Any/all info from you pros is appreciated! Thanks!
Ameriflight is more like an airline in terms of structure than probably any other 135. As per the regs the CP, DO, Dmx, etc all have to be different people. I don't think any of them fly often. They sure don't fly the line. Check rides sometimes, the occasional charter in the BE20. You can get an ACP position after so many years probably. They fly sometimes. From what I've heard, it's very little compensation compared to the responsibility.
To be completely honest about being in management.. or even flying the line out of BUR, I'd bet you'd have a hard time finding almost any AMF pilots willing to do so. That is what I imagine hell might be.

After having dinner with one of the higher ups, it sounds like a few are trying to change that for the better. Only a couple people really believe in the "revolving door" policy. It's cheaper, creates a better culture, and with better QOL to pay pilots, and lower management/training department types more money so they will be happier, and stay longer. AMF is feeling the need to create a better place so it doesn't bleed good pilots, as well as paying competitive amounts to training officials and management. Which is all good in my opinion.

After having dinner with one of the higher ups, it sounds like a few are trying to change that for the better. Only a couple people really believe in the "revolving door" policy. It's cheaper, creates a better culture, and with better QOL to pay pilots, and lower management/training department types more money so they will be happier, and stay longer. AMF is feeling the need to create a better place so it doesn't bleed good pilots, as well as paying competitive amounts to training officials and management. Which is all good in my opinion.
It will need to happen soon. Once pilot movement gears up they will be in a world of hurt.

It is still sustainable. Majors start really hiring and they will be screwed. Fast upgrades at a regional is much better than coming to AMF.

Each base has an assistant CP, which is close to what you described. It's mostly a non flying job, but will occasionally do training, checkrides, special flights, or cover other pilots out sick or on vacation.

Back