Mock Interviews

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
We're looking at providing Mock Interviews...Complexhiaviator (Tracy) would be conducting the interview and we might be able to provide video feedback...

who all would be interested?

Tracy can talk more about how he'd like to conduct the interviews....

didn't figure i'd need a "no"??

I think the idea of the mock interview is for PPL and up...it never hurts to know what to expect even early in the process.

From what I've seen of the syllabus, it'd be a review of resume, some written questions and oral questions

The idea was to give some pilots the opportunity to interview in a more structured environment then they might of for any other job. I was thinking the PPL-CFI types might like the interview experience. The plan would be for a written exam (approx 30 mins) followed by a resume review (15mins) and an oral interview (15mins).

I am not sure of location and times yet. I am still working on that, but most likely Friday afternoon sometime. I didnt thinking anyone would want them at 8am Saturday morning :sarcasm:

I will need assistance in doing this, you can PM me if you would be interested in assisting. If you have any questions, post them here and I will answer them.

I have been asked to supply additional information on the Mock Interviews.

The mock interviews will be designed for each applicatant. They will be for an FBO (CFI), Part 91 Ops (Banner Towing or pipeline patrol), and then either freight or regional. I have no problem having a student pilot do any interview, just realize there will be changes in questions. Testing will most likely be standardized with different question to which interview you will be doing. It will be mostly PPL questions with some IFR/COMM/ATP in there for the fun of it. I do want to do both a resume review (so you have to do one in advance and submit) as well as a logbook (which I will most likely do as questionaire before NJC so we arent carrying logbooks everywhere). Sometime after NJC I will send the results and comments for each applicant.

This is being done to give a feeling of what the interview will be like. I will also ask that each applicant dress appropriately (Business causal or better) for the interviews as you never know who might actually be there.

Any questions please post away!

What is your qualification to conduct these, out of curiousity? I have no idea what your background is, I'm realizing.

I think this could be a very productive idea, but I'm not sure about the written exam portion. I don't know that it's that applicable to a mock interview. A written exam is a written exam, and while it should be practiced, does not need to be done so in this kind of situation. It also takes time away from the part that really needs to be practiced in front of professionals.

FYI, I might be interested in helping with this. I have a background in Fortune 500 recruitment and interviewing.

What is your qualification to conduct these, out of curiousity? I have no idea what your background is, I'm realizing.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn once! Been a Priority member since 1987...

Actually I work with an Engineer Consulting firm and as their Engineering Director I perform all the interviews for hire (I also get to do the firing, but that is another story). I also handle interviewing with clients for potential placement, as well as do some mock interviewing with a local college in the technical department.

In the technology field we have begun giving a basic test for position, from electrical, mechancial, or software. It is done to actually assist the applicant getting into the mindset of the interview. It also allows us to see how much prep they have done for the position. It also gives a discussion of strength/weakness during the oral part of the interview.

For NJC it was thought to round the entire interview process as they will be taking a test, reviewing resume and logbook, and oral interview. I am open to what the guys want and what the best plan of attach would be. I will be sending out a summary of logbook for sumbittal so they didn't have to bring them to Vegas. Last thing I want to hear is that I lost my logbook in Vegas!

I appreciate any help and have already spoken with some aviation professionals on the interview process to try and simulate it as best as possible. I am also looking for actual FO (or better) to assist if mpenguin1 can get the sim rides to also help with comments on these candidates going from the interview to a sim ride.

I also planned on giving a summary to each candidate to the areas they did good in to what they might want to work on for future interviews.

I am open to any ideas/suggestions for this.

Tracy, I'd be more than happy to help conduct some mock "airline" interviews if you'd like. I have to agree with Jonathan though, I'd probably pass on the written test. I'd suggest something more along the lines of logbook review, resume review, then some human resources questions such as "tell me a time" and "why do you think you're a good candidate?" I think the video idea would be outstanding... each "interviewee" could take their video home for review. I know it would freak some people out, but if they wanted to bring their real logbooks, we could probably provide some better input. Same for the resume as well; I think the resume is required if they'll do the mock interview.

If you are going to tie the sim rides into this as well, I also would be happy to help talk the guys and gals in the sim through flying the thing. Last year I tried to bite my tongue so we could all just fly and have fun with it, messing around and what not. This year, if we want to do something more formal so each rider can actually have an idea of how to implement control movements, how to set thrust, some tips on how to fly straight and level, do turns, etc., I would be happy to plant my butt on the floor between the seats and talk away. I did some instruction in a B737 sim when I was in college, so I'm somewhat familiar with it if we use the B737 again in LAS.

Tracy (and Mike C), PM me if you'd like me to help out. I'll send you my number.

I think the more important aspects of interviewing are 1) look/feel of the resume 2) oral communications....so i'd agree that written tests might not be needed in this case.

the hardest part of any interview is being able to talk to someone you've never before talked to much less "marketing" yourself...so that really should be the concentration IMO.

Chicaga, your idea of talking thru the flight sims is good.. i like it! whatcha think Tracy?

I'd like to help more on the forefront..but..considering everything is going to be going on friday afternoon or what not, i probably won't be able to help out as we'll be setting up for friday nights event.

IChicaga, your idea of talking thru the flight sims is good.. i like it! whatcha think Tracy?

Already talking about it Kristie. The big thing will be what we can do in the sims. I have to talk to Mike about that.

For now, I will stop work on the exams.

I'm in for the sims as well, if that's what we're doing. If it's just rides, I'll be at the craps table with Doug. I'll definitely help out with the interviews, though.

Already talking about it Kristie. The big thing will be what we can do in the sims. I have to talk to Mike about that.

For now, I will stop work on the exams.

Let me first see how many people want the sim ride, & then see how many people you have for the interview.

I would imagine for the sim ride interview portion, you will want it one on one, one examiner with one student?

So, if we do the rides first, while the rides are going, you can do the mock interviews, & then when the rides are completed, you can do the mock interview sim sessions.

Will check to see how much sim time they will give to us.....

Let me first see how many people want the sim ride, & then see how many people you have for the interview.

I would imagine for the sim ride interview portion, you will want it one on one, one examiner with one student?

So, if we do the rides first, while the rides are going, you can do the mock interviews, & then when the rides are completed, you can do the mock interview sim sessions.

Will check to see how much sim time they will give to us.....

That was the thought or get a current FO wanting a ride to be left seat for the interviewee. FlyChicago has offered to sit jumpseat and talk the interview through the proceedures. I would guess we would be doing the same as last time, a takeoff, a landing, and if time permits something fun!

I guess I viewed the "sim rides" as less of a checkride and more of a "check-out." Sort of, "Hey, this is a big airplane, this is how it flies, here are some tips to help you handle it." I didn't figure on having a "check pilot" sit right seat or anything. Just give each rider a chance to be the Pilot Flying and Pilot Not Flying. All flying done from the left seat, and all monitoring done from the right seat. I think it would be really beneficial to those who want to participate.

I could type up a quick profile and some minimal, standard callouts that each pilot could print, study, and use in the sim. This way, when the pilots get in, they can see how quickly things happen and not be totally lost in terms of pitch angle, power settings, and speeds. Nothing complex, just things like "positive rate, gear up" and a profile consisting of a takeoff, ILS, and two landings. About 15 minutes worth of flying per pilot.

I also believe we should make it so pilots who would like a "formal" flight in the sim can do so, and those who just want the fun experience of flying a big jet can do that as well. I don't think we should scare away the student pilots and private pilots who just want a chance to fly a big airplane from having the opportunity.

Thoughts?

I guess I viewed the "sim rides" as less of a checkride and more of a "check-out." Sort of, "Hey, this is a big airplane, this is how it flies, here are some tips to help you handle it." I didn't figure on having a "check pilot" sit right seat or anything. Just give each rider a chance to be the Pilot Flying and Pilot Not Flying. All flying done from the left seat, and all monitoring done from the right seat. I think it would be really beneficial to those who want to participate.

I could type up a quick profile and some minimal, standard callouts that each pilot could print, study, and use in the sim. This way, when the pilots get in, they can see how quickly things happen and not be totally lost in terms of pitch angle, power settings, and speeds. Nothing complex, just things like "positive rate, gear up" and a profile consisting of a takeoff, ILS, and two landings. About 15 minutes worth of flying per pilot.

I also believe we should make it so pilots who would like a "formal" flight in the sim can do so, and those who just want the fun experience of flying a big jet can do that as well. I don't think we should scare away the student pilots and private pilots who just want a chance to fly a big airplane from having the opportunity.

Thoughts?

I like it and agree if they want to fun fly let them. I was thinking if say you (the FO) wants to fly you can to the PF and have the interviewing do the PNF items on your checklist. Then when they swap the PF would be the interviewee. Would this all be done left seat? I actually did my ride PF and PNF last year from the right seat and liked it as that would be the side I would start out if I EVER get that far (whole other story).

Maybe someone who has done one recently can speak up, since my last sim ride for an interview was five years ago in a Frasca 141...

Back