Medical helicopter crash in Ohio reportedly leaves three dead

Oxman

RIP

Medical helicopter crash in Ohio reportedly leaves three dead - NY Daily News
1548798941450.png

Three people were reported dead after a medical helicopter crashed in Ohio Tuesday morning.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol confirmed it is investigating a fatal helicopter crash in Vinton County but declined to provide additional details on the incident.
State troopers told WBNS that authorities received a 911 call and reported to the scene of the crash in McArthur, Ohio around 7: 30 a.m.
There were three people aboard the Survival Flight helicopter, who were reportedly on their way to pick up a patient when they plummeted to the ground, not far from Lake Hope State Park.

Last edited:
Survival Flight is based out of Mesa here and used to fly a lot in PHX, having been the primary competitor to Samaritan AirEvac in the '80s. But they stopped flying in AZ and focused on the Midwest and south, yet kept their HQ in AZ.

The crew has been identified, female pilot and flight nurse and male flight nurse.

Here is the PR sheet they hand out. How proud management must be of bullet point 5. Not enough O’s in smooth for schmuck tactics like that.

Attachments

• EE89FCBF-02CE-4A66-832E-5C28DE399127.jpeg
    EE89FCBF-02CE-4A66-832E-5C28DE399127.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 196
Here is the PR sheet they hand out. How proud management must be of bullet point 5. Not enough O’s in smooth for schmuck tactics like that.
#5 is Interesting....especially since another crew DID turn down this flight. (at least that's the word up here...)

2 of the nurse's I used to fly with in my Medevac days worked for that program...neither were involved. RIP to those involved.

“When other people say, “no way!” we say, “get your power levers to flight or you’re fired!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be interested to see what kind of pilot pushing/shopping happened prior to this...I worked medevac-its a thing.

If by pushing you mean “pushing by the med crew to find a reason not to go because they need their beauty sleep and are scared of flying”...
That's a thing too...lol but the other side of the coin happens too. Not that I can honestly say I ever received any major pushback when I turned stuff down at my old shop. But some smaller programs out there...

That's a thing too...lol but the other side of the coin happens too. Not that I can honestly say I ever received any major pushback when I turned stuff down at my old shop. But some smaller programs out there...
My unwritten rule is if I spend more than 5-ish minutes looking at the weather we’re either turning it down or weather holding because it’s likely going to scare the med crew.

My unwritten rule is if I spend more than 5-ish minutes looking at the weather we’re either turning it down or weather holding because it’s likely going to scare the med crew.
Honestly, I had times where med crew questioned me after I accepted a flight and I was able to make my case to the point where they got in the plane....so either I made a good case as a professional pilot who checked everything and was confident it was safe or I was a used car salesman about it. Either way, I never experienced any push back from med crews after I made my case for a flight I accepted. Then again, the southwestern US is not Alaska, so ymmv...

Back