Ameriflight SA227 Lands on a Golf Course, Pewaukee, WI - November 15, 2022

You could get about 8 hours out of one from full tanks with some work and an average of about 235 to 240 knots true.

8 hr in a metro?

Nah I'm good.

(seen those things fly with an obscene amounts of cargo. One ramp guy pushing up on the tail while the other closed the cargo door)
((apparently that's normal procedure))

8 hr in a metro?

Nah I'm good.

(seen those things fly with an obscene amounts of cargo. One ramp guy pushing up on the tail while the other closed the cargo door)
((apparently that's normal procedure))

Well that's because the fuselage torgues if loaded a certain way to where the door won't seat properly and can't be latched. Totally normal though. And no. She's not flimsy. LOL

giphy.gif

Landed with 50 gallons of Jet-A and two Gatorade bottles full of urine.

If spilled, both would require hazmat cleanup.

View attachment 67874

Any updates on this accident? Anyone have the flight track info on this accident (Flightaware/Ameriflight is blocking it). Weather was low vis so I’m guessing possible extended holding and a GA or two while possibly carrying ice.

No fire but claims of 300 gals of spilled JetA from the reported sheared off wings? 1800-2000lbs of fuel after that long of a flight is usually plenty for options. I remember that was a normal fuel load at Chautauqua for us each leg.

Having 4000 hrs in the San Antonio sewer pipe (35+ yrs ago) and not one to quickly jump in on the Monday morning quarterbacking, but knowing the Metro is an extremely capable aircraft, I’m very interested in the investigation results.

Well that's because the fuselage torgues if loaded a certain way to where the door won't seat properly and can't be latched. Totally normal though. And no. She's not flimsy. LOL

OK, so that was due to operator not the airplane.
thanks!

OK, so that was due to operator not the airplane.
thanks!

Sort of....honestly it's just a metro'ism. Another way to be able to get it latched is to have one person rock the wings while another person latches the door shut. It also can happen with the main cabin door.

Any updates on this accident? Anyone have the flight track info on this accident (Flightaware/Ameriflight is blocking it). Weather was low vis so I’m guessing possible extended holding and a GA or two while possibly carrying ice.

No fire but claims of 300 gals of spilled JetA from the reported sheared off wings? 1800-2000lbs of fuel after that long of a flight is usually plenty for options. I remember that was a normal fuel load at Chautauqua for us each leg.

Having 4000 hrs in the San Antonio sewer pipe (35+ yrs ago) and not one to quickly jump in on the Monday morning quarterbacking, but knowing the Metro is an extremely capable aircraft, I’m very interested in the investigation results.

Aviation Safety Net had it as one of the related links. Adsbexchange doesn’t care about blocking (at least for now).

Looks like they just came up short, no missed etc. And the last section of the approach is around 80-90 knots ground speed, seems slow for a metro!

Aviation Safety Net had it as one of the related links. Adsbexchange doesn’t care about blocking (at least for now).

Looks like they just came up short, no missed etc. And the last section of the approach is around 80-90 knots ground speed, seems slow for a metro!

Thanks for the ADS-B link. Good info. I agree the ground speeds seem low. Possibly trying to stretch the glide at the end. I don’t remember what the normal approach speeds were for the Metro but assuming a higher headwind on final 90kt ground speed sounds plausible. Glad everyone walked away, and as a huge dog lover, I’m very happy all the pups made it.

Thanks for the ADS-B link. Good info. I agree the ground speeds seem low. Possibly trying to stretch the glide at the end. I don’t remember what the normal approach speeds were for the Metro but assuming a higher headwind on final 90kt ground speed sounds plausible. Glad everyone walked away, and as a huge dog lover, I’m very happy all the pups made it.

I don't recall a told card under 100kts at AMF. Average was around 120 with a low of 113 maybe?

Back