"Massive pay raise axed"

Sculprit

Any thoughts on regionals getting into the 135/charter game? The whole point would be to avoid these new regional pay scales. To an extent Mesa does this with 737s but their ops is so small and senior that it’s the opposite of what I’m getting at below.

Im talking about taking CRJs and converting them to freighters and letting wet 250 hour pilots along with aged out pilots fly these?

Could this be a mitigation strategy for regionals who don’t want to bump up pay rates to what the WO’s are getting? They’d be able to recruit new pilots who can avoid CFI’ing (@Maximilian_Jenius get your CFI) build them up to the 1500 hour mark and then flow them to the 121 side of ops?

Seems shady enough to be plausible. Or is this too ridiculous of an idea?

Any thoughts on regionals getting into the 135/charter game? The whole point would be to avoid these new regional pay scales. To an extent Mesa does this with 737s but their ops is so small and senior that it’s the opposite of what I’m getting at below.

Im talking about taking CRJs and converting them to freighters and letting wet 250 hour pilots along with aged out pilots fly these?

Could this be a mitigation strategy for regionals who don’t want to bump up pay rates to what the WO’s are getting? They’d be able to recruit new pilots who can avoid CFI’ing (@Maximilian_Jenius get your CFI) build them up to the 1500 hour mark and then flow them to the 121 side of ops?

There are a couple of those out there already with variable success. Also operators who can pull a RJ up to the FBO on a 135 certificate.

This is what PenAir used to do with the Saab 340s, and Hageland used to do with Caravan/B1900 copilots.

I got checked out this AM. I asked my CFI about his school and CFIing. He said that the CFI is A LOT of work. He said that you have to do all the lessons for PPL and CPL. Know them backwards and forwards. Because you have to demonstrate them all either on the ground, in the oral, or in the air. At the DPE's discretion. He said if your hearts not in it, don't do it. He said go get a low-time builder job. Said that he's tired of training guys that don't want to get their CFI and are half-assing it just to have it on their resume. In terms of studying and not showing up for studying. Or not knowing their stuff. And later just dropping out. Said its not fair to the person. Him as an instructor, or your future students. Again, just to have it on your resume. He was really in his feelings about it. Lol.

I got checked out this AM. I asked my CFI about his school and CFIing. He said that the CFI is A LOT of work. He said that you have to do all the lessons for PPL and CPL. Know them backwards and forwards. Because you have to demonstrate them all either on the ground, in the oral, or in the air. At the DPE's discretion. He said if your hearts not in it, don't do it. He said go get a low-time builder job. Said that he's tired of training guys that don't want to get their CFI and are half-assing it just to have it on their resume. In terms of studying and not showing up for studying. Or not knowing their stuff. And later just dropping out. Said its not fair to the person. Him as an instructor, or your future students. Again, just to have it on your resume. He was really in his feelings about it. Lol.

Dude, I get it. You do what’s right for you and don’t let anyone tell you different. Just don’t cross a picket line, get your pizza from Sabarros or admit on a public forum to sitting down to pee.

Dude, I get it. You do what’s right for you and don’t let anyone tell you different. Just don’t cross a picket line, get your pizza from Sabarros or admit on a public forum to sitting down to pee.

Eh, I'm still undecided. I don't want to get it. But I guess I will if I have too. Which is why I asked the CFI today. I got something cooking in the oven for later this year, as you know. It's still very much a thing. If that or other things don't pan out, I'll start my CFI in the fall/winter.

Oh and I only get my pizza delivered from the basement of Comet Pizza in DC.

Any CFI student should be the easiest student for any CFI to have, because if that CFI candidate is doing the job right, the CFI instructor should have nearly nothing at all to do. It’s the one set of ratings where the student should be taking the lead, not the CFI having to lead them everywhere by the hand. If a candidates head and heart isn’t in it, they will be an example of the latter. And they’ll be wasting everyone’s time, including their own.

Any CFI student should be the easiest student for any CFI to have, because if that CFI candidate is doing the job right, the CFI instructor should have nearly nothing at all to do. It’s the one set of ratings where the student should be taking the lead, not the CFI having to lead them everywhere by the hand. If a candidates head and heart isn’t in it, they will be an example of the latter. And they’ll be wasting everyone’s time, including their own.

CFI is about learning to teach, not about learning all the stuff you didn't learn before because you were just studying to pass a particular examiners check ride.

That was exactly the issue. His CFI candidates weren't taking the lead and doing their part. So he was saying he didn't want someone who was half-hearted about it. Just to pad a resume.

Am I the crazy one here? I loved teaching CFIs. They mostly know what to expect and it's on them to pass the checkride. It was my job to make sure they were ready for the ride. If they weren't ready, that just meant more flight time and time billed for me! Not sure how my time as the instructor would be wasted...if someone wants to give me $1500 and half ass it? No hair off my back.

I’m teaching a couple of CFI candidates right now and doing stage checks on others.

The ones who get that it’s about teaching are the good ones. The ones who think it’s about flying are struggling. I’m trying to get them to focus on the right thing but it’s clear where their hearts are.

Eventually I’m going to move on to another type of flying and unlikely I’ll be able to CFI while doing it and that makes me a little sad, so I’m hoping there will be other professional opportunities to teach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m teaching a couple of CFI candidates right now and doing stage checks on others.

The ones who get that it’s about teaching are the good ones. The ones who think it’s about flying are struggling. I’m trying to get them to focus on the right thing but it’s clear where their hearts are.

Eventually I’m going to move on to another type of flying and unlikely I’ll be able to CFI while doing it and that makes me a little sad, so I’m hoping there will be other professional opportunities to teach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is a big part of it. I’d say I flew about 60% of the time with CFI students. Giving them experience critiquing and correcting my crappy maneuvers… and getting a feel for when to take over and let it “develop”.

As someone at the back side of my flying career, I’ve been back to instructing along with the other flying jobs I have. It’s a lot more fun now than it was 30 years ago as a 300 hour wonder with a wet CFI. Where I knew little before besides the book, now it’s nice being able to bring a career of techniques and broad experience to flight instruction, making it much more productive for the student.

Your CFI is right. If you think you truly are not a good choice to teach someone else, don't do it. If you don't want to do it because you think it's too hard, you don't think you should have to fly old planes, or have to work long hot days with no air conditioning,then think hard about why you are in aviation.

As far as my personal experience with guys who built their time as a CFI vs got right seat in something with a wet commercial and threw gear for most of their 1500 hours, I'd rather fly with the former CFI. THEY KNOW HOW TO LAND AND CAN HANDLE ANY CROSSWIND WITHIN LIMITATIONS. ( :p:oops::eek2: not kidding )

I can tell you anecdotally that no former CFI CA or FO I have flown with has ever made me worry on a flight. Now folks that went straight to the right seat of a 91/135 operation, those guys have been all the bad landings and most of the cocky arrogant attitudes.

Back