Man Dragged off United Flight

It's not even clear what the F/A actually did before Captain America jumped in to save the damsel in distress. It's being said he hit her with a stroller, but for some reason I doubt he would have wound up and smoked her with a stroller while she was holding two toddlers.

Oscar's letter I and everyone else received.....

sp.png

sp.png

Each flight you take with us represents an important promise we make to you, our customer. It's not simply that we make sure you reach your destination safely and on time, but also that you will be treated with the highest level of service and the deepest sense of dignity and respect.
sp.png

Earlier this month, we broke that trust when a passenger was forcibly removed from one of our planes. We can never say we are sorry enough for what occurred, but we also know meaningful actions will speak louder than words.
sp.png

For the past several weeks, we have been urgently working to answer two questions: How did this happen, and how can we do our best to ensure this never happens again?
sp.png

It happened because our corporate policies were placed ahead of our shared values. Our procedures got in the way of our employees doing what they know is right.
sp.png

Fixing that problem starts now with changing how we fly, serve and respect our customers. This is a turning point for all of us here at United – and as CEO, it's my responsibility to make sure that we learn from this experience and redouble our efforts to put our customers at the center of everything we do.
sp.png

That’s why we announced that we will no longer ask law enforcement to remove customers from a flight and customers will not be required to give up their seat once on board – except in matters of safety or security.
sp.png

We also know that despite our best efforts, when things don’t go the way they should, we need to be there for you to make things right. There are several new ways we’re going to do just that.
sp.png

We will increase incentives for voluntary rebooking up to $10,000 and will be eliminating the red tape on permanently lost bags with a new "no-questions-asked" $1,500 reimbursement policy. We will also be rolling out a new app for our employees that will enable them to provide on-the-spot goodwill gestures in the form of miles, travel credit and other amenities when your experience with us misses the mark. You can learn more about these commitments and many other changes at hub.united.com.
sp.png

While these actions are important, I have found myself reflecting more broadly on the role we play and the responsibilities we have to you and the communities we serve.
sp.png

I believe we must go further in redefining what United's corporate citizenship looks like in our society. You can and ought to expect more from us, and we intend to live up to those higher expectations in the way we embody social responsibility and civic leadership everywhere we operate. I hope you will see that pledge express itself in our actions going forward, of which these initial, though important, changes are merely a first step.
sp.png

Our goal should be nothing less than to make you truly proud to say, "I fly United."
sp.png

Ultimately, the measure of our success is your satisfaction and the past several weeks have moved us to go further than ever before in elevating your experience with us. I know our 87,000 employees have taken this message to heart, and they are as energized as ever to fulfill our promise to serve you better with each flight and earn the trust you’ve given us.
sp.png

We are working harder than ever for the privilege to serve you and I know we will be stronger, better and the customer-focused airline you expect and deserve.
sp.png

With Great Gratitude,
oscar_sig.png

Oscar Munoz
CEO
United Airlines

sp.png

We will increase incentives for voluntary rebooking up to $10,000 and will be eliminating the red tape on permanently lost bags with a new "no-questions-asked" $1,500 reimbursement policy. We will also be rolling out a new app for our employees that will enable them to provide on-the-spot goodwill gestures in the form of miles, travel credit and other amenities when your experience with us misses the mark. You can learn more about these commitments and many other changes at hub.united.com.
sp.png

I've been probably the most critical of them of anyone on this forum and it's great to see them learning and making some positive changes. They've done some other changes listed here which I think solve some of my biggest criticisms.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/27/how-united-selects-passengers-for-involuntary-bumping/

I'm not going to list them all, but little things like this could make a huge difference. I believe Delta offered me something similiar when I was checking in on a flight a few days from Christmas.

7. United will create an automated system for soliciting volunteers to change travel plans.
Later this year, United will introduce a new automated check-in process, both at the airport and via the United app, that will gauge a customer’s interest in giving up his or her seat on overbooked flights in exchange for compensation. If selected, that customer will receive their requested compensation and be booked on a later United flight.

4. United will establish a customer solutions team to provide agents with creative solutions.

United will create a team to proactively identify and provide gate agents with creative solutions such as using nearby airports, other airlines or ground transportation to get customers and crews to their final destinations. Separately, the team also will work to provide solutions to help get crews to their final destinations. United expects the team to be operational by June. Examples include:

— Suggest flights to close-by airports and then provide transportation to the customer’s preferred destination.

— If a customer’s travel includes a connecting flight, provide options that would eliminate the connection and still get the customer to the destination.

— Offer ground transportation where practical.

If they stick to this I'll be impressed. I wonder what jerkoffs in management had to lose their jobs or eat some serious crow for these changes to be put in effect, but I doubt any of this would've happened without the immense public outrage.

All of this is going to cost. It will be interesting to see how loud the bleating is from cattle class when that $99 super-saver fare is suddenly $129. OMG OMG Airline Cartel Robber Barons!

Then they won't be on the planes and won't be anyone's problem if they're not buying tickets. Let the people chasing the bargain basement fares go to Allegiant, Spirit and Frontier rather than see United try to match their • customer service experience in a race to the bottom. I also don't think this necessarily has to be a bad business decision for United or at the very least an expensive one with. I know if they are actually committed to improving their customer service and the customer experience I won't be avoiding them on future flights like I have been actively doing in the past. There are plenty of profitable passengers who have been chased away by United's awful customer service and some will certainly come back as well.

Not sure what your point is, here. I also avoid United. Like, avowedly. Too many bad experiences. But none of them were being dragged off a plane because I happened to get flagged by a mainframe in Chicago as being unlikely to be a return customer (I guess they have poopy mainframes, because if I'm on United, it's always under duress.) Point being, none of this makes me any more likely to get on a United flight under any circumstances less heightened than gunpoint. I mean, upon reflection, this is a win for me, as the next time I'm trying to get home from one of the third-world clown-college fortress hubs United takes so much pride in I might be able to get a competitive fare on Delta, or at least American.

Seems like a lot of these proposals were policies pre merger, at least the empowering front line employees part with immediate ways to compensate people, or just make them happy. I don't know, I hope it really does make a better United and better industry.

I can't really explain why, but I really hate the whole customer/passenger thing. They're passengers. Guests even, this customers nonsense annoys me as much as "synergies".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passengers. Yeah, I hate them, too. That's what you meant, right?

A propos to nothing, anyone work at UPS round this joint?

What? I don't like the way our passengers have been degraded to mere customers, it feels as contrived and hollow as the biz school graduates who spit it out as liberally as words like "synergy" "core values" "pivot" or "thought leader."

I feel like the word customer denigrates them as passengers and what we do for them. Customers buy a cup of coffee or a pack of underwear, people who buy tickets thus entrusting us with their safety and comfort are passengers.

I don't know why i find it so irritating, but I'll get over someday no doubt.

What? I don't like the way our passengers have been degraded to mere customers, it feels as contrived and hollow as the biz school graduates who spit it out as liberally as words like "synergy" "core values" "pivot" or "thought leader."

I feel like the word customer denigrates them as passengers and what we do for them. Customers buy a cup of coffee or a pack of underwear, people who buy tickets thus entrusting us with their safety and comfort are passengers.

I don't know why i find it so irritating, but I'll get over someday no doubt.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Boris hates his coworkers and most of humanity too. So don't take too much offense at his picking on the pax.

Back