Man Dragged off United Flight

Looks like a troubled lady attempted to get her payout the other day out of SAT,unfortunately for her it didn't work out that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was more referring to the airlines turning the airplanes into cattle cars with wings.

That sounds really melodramatic... I'm a taller than average guy, and often end up in the middle seat. I certainly fly in the back more than most people, and have no idea why you would make your statement. Hell, the economy plus stuff on Delta and United is actually pretty nice!

What's making you say today's experiences are so awful?

The solution is pretty simple. People need to start acting right again, on the customer side AND the customer service side. People show up with predisposition that the airlines are there just to take their money and scree them over, and berate every employee they come across whether it's happened yet or not. And the people who are the face of the airlines are sick of it, so they get snippy when it's uncalled for.

People need to start treating people like humans again. I still remember when you dressed at least halfway decent on an airplane, you got a hot meal, and kids got metal wings. But price wars have devolved this industry into what it is today, and I see no turning back.

You want the airlines to make their cabins bigger and less like cattle cars, but when a ticket price pops up $400 from Chicago to Milwaukee you'll be up in flames mad.

I often think people forget the business behind airlines and assume it's some charity event and $200 fare across the country = first class meals, seats, and priority? I think people have lost perspective of flying. The first class seats are available and honestly economy seats aren't that bad. The new cabins the legacies have are pretty nice for a normal sized adult.

I think it's all fair game, you get what you pay for. With affordable economy comfort on almost all flights you really can't be pissed if you have a seat in the back. Those seats are always available for purchase. People don't wanna spend the money though, they just think that's what they deserve automatically.

How much are fares on jetBlue mint???

My view is that;

Yes, customers want cheap tickets. But the market and competition dictates the ticket price. Airline X could offer a premium product and use quality assurance to protect their brand. They could assume the lost profit to offer a higher quality product. But that wouldn't be a good business practice in the eyes of the people in charge. There are some airlines out there that just lack having a brand while others absolutely excel with their branding.

It also appears that the quality of the product, as a whole, has diminished as the pool of airlines to choose from has gotten smaller.

"United Continental Holdings Inc., navigating a turbulent week a since a passenger was dragged off one of its regional flights, reported strong first-quarter profit in the three months before the incident.

The nation’s third-largest airline by traffic beat analyst expectations for the fifth consecutive quarter even as profit fell from the same period a year ago on higher fuel costs. United raised its forecast for unit revenue growth between April and June to between 1% and 3% year-over year, an improvement from the first quarter when it was flat. Unit revenue measures the amount taken in for each passenger flown a mile. The industry has been struggling for two years to reverse declines in that important metric."

Looks like it's AA's turn...some hero FC pax threatened to beat up a gate agent too

Looks like it's AA's turn...some hero FC pax threatened to beat up a gate agent too

I saw that. Apparently interjecting yourself into situations and picking fights with cabin crew is a-ok now post Unitedgate.

The F/A might very well have been in the wrong, but the two uppity passengers just escalated the situation even further.

I saw that. Apparently interjecting yourself into situations and picking fights with cabin crew is a-ok now post Unitedgate.

The F/A might very well have been in the wrong, but the two uppity passengers just escalated the situation even further.

He "personally" wanted to know the employees name...I'm sure he was busy texting Parker about the incident

He "personally" wanted to know the employees name...I'm sure he was busy texting Parker about the incident

You can see the tone that's been set in the last week. People looking for any sign of conflict and potential payday. I used to not care what was behind the cockpit door, but for the first time, freight seems to be the better option.

You can see the tone that's been set in the last week. People looking for any sign of conflict and potential payday. I used to not care what was behind the cockpit door, but for the first time, freight seems to be the better option.

And that's the problem: the situation with UAL should be its own situation that is getting resolved in any number of ways, and should be. It is NOT and should not be, open season to go full-on disrespectful of airline employees at every turn and for every perceived wrong of any kind.

Hence why I agree with Roger Roger, self defense during a physical attack by a pax to a crewmember not only just for the crewmember's safety, but to also send a message. A message that the airline should back its employees with that certain actions are not ok, and will not be tolerated. Want a passengers bill of rights? Then there will be a crew bill of rights also.

In this current situation,a lot of people are blasting the FA for his reaction to the important FC Pax threatening him,by saying he shouldn't have reacted and just stood there and taken it because that's "his job". I disagree,once you have escalated to an imminent threat such as this pax being verbally aggressive and positioning himself in a position of aggression towards the FA,he had every right to defend himself at that point...we all know airport PD is a good 5-7 min away.

In this current situation,a lot of people are blasting the FA for his reaction to the important FC Pax threatening him,by saying he shouldn't have reacted and just stood there and taken it because that's "his job". I disagree,once you have escalated to an imminent threat such as this pax being verbally aggressive and positioning himself in a position of aggression towards the FA,he had every right to defend himself at that point...we all know airport PD is a good 5-7 min away.

Agreed. Unless the airline wants to pay "verbal abuse pay" as a special payout, akin to hazardous duty pay in the military; then no, as an employee you are definitely NOT being paid to stand there and be verbally.....and especially physically.....harassed by any passenger, regardless of their airline tier status or where they are seated in the tube.

Maybe I see it differently as well due to my background and knowing how quickly a situation can go from 0 to 60..literally in the blink of an eye

Maybe I see it differently as well due to my background and knowing how quickly a situation can go from 0 to 60..literally in the blink of an eye

You may be a service provider as a pilot/FA/gate agent. But that doesn't mean you're a doormat and have an obligation to be treated as such by any ole yahoo out there, and be expected to stand there with a smile and ask for more. Unreal.

And that's the problem: the situation with UAL should be its own situation that is getting resolved in any number of ways, and should be. It is NOT and should not be, open season to go full-on disrespectful of airline employees at every turn and for every perceived wrong of any kind.

Hence why I agree with Roger Roger, self defense during a physical attack by a pax to a crewmember not only just for the crewmember's safety, but to also send a message. A message that the airline should back its employees with that certain actions are not ok, and will not be tolerated. Want a passengers bill of rights? Then there will be a crew bill of rights also.

No disagreement here, but I think much of the flying public already views airline travel as an adversarial engagement to some degree- the airlines are out to strip them of any dignity and humanity they have left.

Nevermind that this is the market created by the demand for cheap fares.

Anyway, I've flown passengers 121 and I'm obviously biased toward crew safety and protection. That said, this particular case (based on the context I currently have) seems like it could have been handled better by the crew BEFORE it got to the state where the mom is crying and the • in first class feels compelled to make threats.

No disagreement here, but I think much of the flying public already views airline travel as an adversarial engagement to some degree- the airlines are out to strip them of any dignity and humanity they have left.

Nevermind that this is the market created by the demand for cheap fares.

Anyway, I've flown passengers 121 and I'm obviously biased toward crew safety and protection. That said, this particular case (based on the context I currently have) seems like it could have been handled better by the crew BEFORE it got to the state where the mom is crying and the in first class feels compelled to make threats.

Ultimately that's ideal, if things can be handled or defused as early and often as possible. Fully agree there.

Back