Lufthansa Pilots, give 'em hell

bLizZuE

Calling for engine starts en français
CNN.com reporting Lufthansa strike

http://us.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/02/21/lufthansa.strike/index.html?hpt=T1

(CNN) -- The pilots' union of Lufthansa began a strike Monday after a last-ditch effort at negotiations over pay and job security failed, a spokeswoman for the airline told CNN.
The four-day work stoppage by the pilots' union of one of the world's largest airlines threatened to disrupt travel on more than two dozen partner airlines later on Monday.
Lufthansa and the pilot's union, Vereinigung Cockpit, over the weekend as a last-ditch effort to avoid the strike. More than 4,000 pilots walked off the job at midnight Monday (6 p.m. Sunday ET) through Thursday over protracted contract negotiations centering around pay and job security.
The action by Lufthansa pilots signaled growing labor unrest across Europe. The industrial action by the pilots started the same day that British Airways cabin staff were expected to announce the outcome of its strike vote. On Wednesday in Greece, a mass public and private sector strike is being planned to protest the government's austerity plan.
Lufthansa had already canceled two-thirds of its scheduled flights Monday to Thursday ahead of the strike.
The bulk of the disruptions are expected to begin later Monday since most German airports prohibit flights overnight. Still, passengers at Frankfurt Airport on Sunday were already feeling inconvenienced.
"It makes me angry because for me, normally I would (leave) on Monday morning," said one passenger. "Now I have to go Sunday evening and my family's at home and I have to (return) tomorrow night with the train. So it's uncomfortable." "It's inconvenient and it's not justified at all," another passenger said.
Company officials admitted it would have a "heavy influence" on its international operations, which includes flights to 80 countries worldwide.
Send your views and experiences to CNN iReport
In 2008, Lufthansa was the number two international carrier by passengers with 42.2 million, according to the International Air Transport Association.
The threatened walkout came as the airline industry is digging out of the worst one-year drop-off in flights, according to IATA.
In 2009, revenues dropped nearly 15 percent worldwide after generating a record $535 billion the previous year. Passenger travel fell a record 3.5 percent and freight fell more than 10 percent, according to IATA figures.
Lufthansa officials said at a news conference last Thursday it would cost the airline about $33 million a day.
Many of Lufthansa's pilots have been working without a contract since March and more than 90 percent of the union's members voted to strike, said Jorg Handwerg, a pilot and representative for the union.
The union sought a 6.4 percent pay increase. The union is also concerned with the airline's recent buying spree of small regional carriers, such as BMI and Austrian Airlines which, it says, is cannibalizing flights away from union-flown routes.
"We fly less hours and have less potential for (performance-related bonuses)," Handwerg said. "We want to have the opportunity to grow, but instead it shrinks."
In a statement, Lufthansa said: "In addition to demands on job security, however, the union also insisted on a greater say on fundamental entrepreneurial issues, equating to intervention in business management at the airline. That demand cannot be accepted."
The airline is allowing passengers to rebook flights for tickets purchased before February 18 and plans to give German domestic passengers rail vouchers.
But one Lufthansa passenger said she is having trouble reaching a compromise with the airline.
"I spent several hours on the phone with Lufthansa to try and figure out what I can do, but now I've been told that I can't even get a refund," said Ruth Winblad, who is supposed to fly Monday from Gothenburg, Sweden, to Rome, Italy.
Lufthansa is one of the largest carriers on Star Alliance, a network of 26 airlines that share ticketing and routes for international travel. Travelers on Star Alliance flights are advised to check their tickets for Lufthansa flights and contact their carrier about any potential changes, said Markus Ruediger, Star Alliance spokesman.
Star Alliance member airlines are: Adria, Air Canada, Air China, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian, Blue 1, BMI, Brussels Airlines, Continental Airlines, Croatia Airlines, Egypt Air, Lot Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, Shanghai Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, Spanair, Swiss, Tap Portugal, Thai Airlines, Turkish Airlines, United Airlines and U.S. Airways.
Partner airlines were preparing for the strike.
"Some of our codeshare flights with Lufthansa may be affected during the period of the strike. We are in contact with Lufthansa and will be informed of the affected flights as soon as details are made available," said Nicholas Ionides, Singapore Airlines spokesman.
"Should there be customers traveling on affected Lufthansa-operated codeshare flights, they will be contacted and re-accommodated on the best next available schedule."
A spokeswoman for Continental Airlines told CNN on Sunday that the airline will offer passengers refunds or rebook their travel if they are affected.

Wish we could do this without years of drug-out contract negotiations, impasses and the pro-management slant of the Railway Labor Act.

Lufthansa Pilots Begin Four-Day Strike

By NATASCHA DIVAC

Pilots at Deutsche Lufthansa AG launched a four-day strike early Monday that promised to ground the majority of the flagship German airline's flights after efforts to resume contract talks failed over the weekend.

The pilots' strike is expected to prompt the cancellation of two-thirds of Lufthansa flights, both international and domestic, and cost the airline roughly 25 million euros a day, the company said.

More than 4,000 Lufthansa pilots moved to walk off the job after talks with the airline on job and pay security collapsed last week. The pilots union, Vereinigung Cockpit, wants Lufthansa to give pilots a bigger say in decisions on where planes are operated from and which pilots man the aircraft. It fears that jobs could increasingly be shifted to foreign units where pilots earn less, after Lufthansa's rapid expansion over the past two years.

Over the weekend, German Transport Minister Peter Ramsauer urged both sides to restart talks and head off a strike after negotiations fell apart on Friday, but to little avail. The pilot union, Vereinigung Cockpit, said Saturday that it was ready to resume talks but wouldn't drop specific demands. Lufthansa said in a statement Sunday that it is open to talks with the pilot union but without preconditions.

The strike is expected to disrupt travel for thousands of passengers, though Lufthansa has been rebooking many of them on other airlines' flights, as well as trains, in anticipation. The action also is expected to affect Lufthansa's cargo operations and its discount-airline unit Germanwings.

While four days is definitely a money loss for the company, why limit the strike to only four days?

Not sure they would but by telling management that you're on strike for four days, they might just weather out the storm.

But, if you just state you're going on strike and give an undetermined/disclosed amount of time I bet that that would probably scare a management team more than disclosing the term of your strike.

In the article it said their contract expired March 2009.

Other places have mentioned that this would ground 2/3 of the flights. I am assuming this is because of the Lufthansa Regional flights.

While four days is definitely a money loss for the company, why limit the strike to only four days?

Not sure they would but by telling management that you're on strike for four days, they might just weather out the storm.

But, if you just state you're going on strike and give an undetermined/disclosed amount of time I bet that that would probably scare a management team more than disclosing the term of your strike.

The threat of numerous wildcat strikes would be more terrifying than one long one I believe. If a bunch of my workers strike, I can replace them with scabs and I'm done. If my employees decide to strike for the next four days, then work for a month, then strike three days, then work for three weeks, then strike 5 days, etc it would be worse. They aren't out long enough to get SCABS in, but they are our long enough to screw everything up and cost me boatloads of money. From a management point of view I would rather deal with ALPA walking out for a traditional strike than Lufthansa and what they are doing. If ALPA walks, Lorenzo already gave me the playbook. Lufthansa wildcat strike? Not so much.

Which is why the Railways Labor Act, in many ways, is like the French's "Maginot Line" to the German Wehrmacht.

The threat of numerous wildcat strikes would be more terrifying than one long one I believe. If a bunch of my workers strike, I can replace them with scabs and I'm done. If my employees decide to strike for the next four days, then work for a month, then strike three days, then work for three weeks, then strike 5 days, etc it would be worse. They aren't out long enough to get SCABS in, but they are our long enough to screw everything up and cost me boatloads of money. From a management point of view I would rather deal with ALPA walking out for a traditional strike than Lufthansa and what they are doing. If ALPA walks, Lorenzo already gave me the playbook. Lufthansa wildcat strike? Not so much.

Thanks for that consise reply! Never looked at it that way!

In the RLA, Self-Help applies to both labor and management. So, if the NMB authorizes a release then the labor, obviously, can do a full blown strike. They can also engage in chaos or, wild cat strikes as well.

However, management is also free to engage is self-help. They could just do a lock-out negating any kind of chaos. Or, they can implement or impose anything they want such as company provided hotel rooms on layovers, draconian work rules, etc.

So, the way the RLA is written right now, the nuclear option is really the only viable one by labor. Otherwise, wild-cat strikes, chaos, management retaliation, lock-outs could potentially last much longer than a traditional strike. There are obviously exceptions (Lorenzo).

It's on!

100222123057_lufthansa_pilots_afp_466.jpg

Thousands of flights have been cancelled at Germany's main airports on the first day of a four-day strike by Lufthansa pilots.

Good for them, I hope that it gets them something good and works.

I wanted to go over there for this, but dont have the time off from work.

That and it would be a huge pain to get back to the US i would imagine.

Resat Saritas tried to get home to Dubai, but found his flight was canceled. Despite his unhappiness over his flight, he said the strike was justified.
"The pilots deserve more money. The mentality of the company is not good. Please don't do this again," he said. "It's not nice for the pilots and it's not nice for the passengers."

:eek::eek::eek:

Compare and contrast with Mr. Angry McMiddleManager's interview with USA Today when his plane was 5 minutes late. I'm moving.

Yeah, people in this country generally have a problem with people making more money than they do. I read an article on Yahoo this morning about the closing of the GM plant in Janesville, WI. The article stated how some people in Janesville were glad to see their fellow citizens suffering, because they didn't have jobs themselves that paid $28hr with benefits. Sad.

Yeah, people in this country generally have a problem with people making more money than they do. I read an article on Yahoo this morning about the closing of the GM plant in Janesville, WI. The article stated how some people in Janesville were glad to see their fellow citizens suffering, because they didn't have jobs themselves that paid $28hr with benefits. Sad.

I don't think that's true. I think what people have a problem with is some people making more money and complaining about it.

Look's like the Pilots are going back to work tomorrow. Still created a big mess... :D

Is this any way to garner public support for pilot's plight? Something many of the unions try to do with "informational picketing"? Not a good way to get support by the public who's getting screwed by you, in their eyes (remembering that perception is everything, regardless if its fact).

I don't think that's true. I think what people have a problem with is some people making more money and complaining about it.

No, MWFlyer is right. Take Joe who makes $6/hr slinging burgers at McDonald's. Then take Tom who makes $8/hr at Burger King. Then you tell Joe that Tom makes more than him. Joe is gonna get mad because Tom makes more than he does doing the same job. Don't even try to tell me he'll shrug his shoulders and say "Good for Tom." Americans have a preconceived notion that pilots have half the month off, have awesome overnights and make tons of cash. Movies like "Catch Me If You Can" don't help shed light on reality. So, in a tough economy, Americans are gonna get angry that there is a group of people that make more money than they do for less work. Reality plays no part in it. It's all what public perception is at the time.

Back