Longest airport walk

Wonder about T8 to TBIT at LAX and from the bottom of the A/B gates to the tip of the G or F gates at MSP. Done both in similar time. Now LAX has the North Complex, too

I've walked the Denver one a couple of times, fortunately I was not on a time crunch so it was enjoyable.

The one I absolutely despise, LAX. It never fails when I have to transit that lunatic designed facility that my arrival will pull into the gate precisely at the opposite end of my departure which will depart in exactly 10 minutes and 38 seconds. And in doing so, the jet bridge will have some technical malfunction compounded by Bubba who for some reason has no sense of urgency to deplane. Then there is Grandma, who up until now everyone has brushed by who needs help with her luggage from the overhead bin. Trying to not be a complete ghoul to my fellow traveler I help grandma with size barely fits in the overhead bin roller board. Meanwhile Kyle behind me with his flat brimmed hat is trying to push ahead like there is a passing lane to get off the plane...

Once you escape the clutches idiocracy of the arriving insane aslyum. It is off to races! Cue the Home Alone sound track! Dodging and weaving passengers I feel like it's an obstacle course for a qualifying time for some military endurance test you arrive at the departure gate. Waiting for you is the gate agent who is announcing over the loud speaker final boarding call for flight 901 to wherever. As you run up boarding pass in hand, you get the snarky remark Sir you should have be earlier to the airport...yeah no crap lady my company booked this adventure...anyways hurry down the jet way to a plane full of eyeballs wondering who it was that was delaying their early pushback. Fumble about looking for somewhere to stash your carry on find your seat and feel the sweat pouring from various orifices around your existence, gross.

Time is relative. The shorter the connection, the longer the walk seems.

That being said, G22 to F15 (or anywhere on the A) in MSP is a fair hustle.

When I was commuting to MSP, it seemed every trip ended around 19:30 at the A gates and the last flight to LAX was around 20:00 and always out of F10 or F12. That was sporting.

Time is relative. The shorter the connection, the longer the walk seems.

That being said, G22 to F15 (or anywhere on the A) in MSP is a fair hustle.
I had a few hours to connect so I thought I would give ATL hike a go.

I think I beat the suggested time between terminal; so I have that going for me which is nice.

I feel like CVG is the longest. It's a long walk to the van to see the airplane a few hundred feet away when you get there. But in reality I think ATL is the longest.

When I was commuting to MSP, it seemed every trip ended around 19:30 at the A gates and the last flight to LAX was around 20:00 and always out of F10 or F12. That was sporting.
On the plus side, while you were likely scheduled in at 1930, if you were parking at the A concourse in MSP, you were almost certainly going to be late for one reason or another, so

I have only subjective experience to contribute, but subjectivity is appropriate here, because a bad day in ATL is massively preferable to a good day in LGA, for example. My least favorite hikes thusfar have been whatever the regional gates are in PHL to the A Concourse, which happened every freaking time, and whatever the regional gates are in CLT to the A Concourse, which also happened every freaking time. You may sense a theme, here. To be fair to A Certain American Airline, DTW can suck pretty hard, too.

Edit: EINN at 2am during the pandemic was fairly hilarious, as well, but that's because they park the Yankmobiles ALLLLLLLLLL the way out on one end, in spite of the fact that basically nothing else is operating, I guess out of inertia (or maybe the rest of the gates are all sissy-A320-sized, dunno). That's a lot of empty airport to hustle through.

Last edited:
I’m glad I’m not the only one that immediately thought the tip of E concourse in CLT to anywhere else in the place.

LAX is also one of the most poorly designed places on the planet. Moreso now because if you have to fly Asia (as a passenger) you almost certainly cannot get ticketed all the way through to your destination from your origin if you switch carriers. That means going backwards to the ticket counter at TBIT which means another trip through security. That’s going to be monstrous if international actually picks up to any degree if you’re going to a country with mando quarantine. FWIW, the layout of LAX made some sense before 9/11.

The underground walk at ATL is actually quite pleasant if you’re not in a hurry, and if you do get behind time line it’s easy to hop on the train and be where you need to be quickly, which cannot be said for a place like CLT where the one and only option is your own get-away-sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only subjective experience to contribute, but subjectivity is appropriate here, because a bad day in ATL is massively preferable to a good day in LGA, for example. My least favorite hikes thusfar have been whatever the regional gates are in PHL to the A Concourse, which happened every freaking time, and whatever the regional gates are in CLT to the A Concourse, which also happened every freaking time. You may sense a theme, here. To be fair to A Certain American Airline, DTW can suck pretty hard, too.

Edit: EINN at 2am during the pandemic was fairly hilarious, as well, but that's because they park the Yankmobiles ALLLLLLLLLL the way out on one end, in spite of the fact that basically nothing else is operating, I guess out of inertia (or maybe the rest of the gates are all sissy-A320-sized, dunno). That's a lot of empty airport to hustle through.

Most places designed under the Euro-plan (Canada, I'm looking at you), have a long mouse maze to get from the gate to customs, and out to the exit.

No cheese at the end, either. Bastages.

Most places designed under the Euro-plan (Canada, I'm looking at you), have a long mouse maze to get from the gate to customs, and out to the exit.

No cheese at the end, either. Bastages.
Yeah, escaping Montreal can seem like the Bataan Death March at times.

Back