Log Book Issues

Beechlover

Hi Folks,

Hope Everybody's Holiday Season is going great. I've been spending the last couple of days getting my collective stuff together to gear up for interviews and re-double-double checking my log book I've found some issues that I really just need to get some feedback on from folks that are smarter on this than me. Won't take much trust me. Ok here go's

- My entries while I was working toward my PPL (circa 1991 time frame)
I've discovered some discrepencies and I'm not sure how to deal with
them

Student Pilot
-- Missing Endorsements: - Pre-Solo Flight Training at Night,
- 2 Solo X-C Endorsements
- Aeronautical Knowledge Test
- Flight Proficiency/Practical Test Endorsemnt (the one that says your ready for the Practical Test!
yeah, not there

Basically kept my original logbook all these years so when I got back into training to finish my ratings, it never really seemed to be an issue except for a quick mention by my instructor that was all that was said. I do have all my ratings now up to CFI/II/MEI so NOW that I'm preparing for interviews I'm wondering if this will be any kind of issue.

Here's Another: How have you all logged your cross country time?

FAR 61.1 (3) makes the distinction between "landing at a point other than the point of departure" AND, "the point of landing being more than 50 NM from point of departure."

Soo.., This is how I've been told to handle that.., Log ALL flights to other airports as Cross Country, ALL of em.., BUT make a (pen)mark in the blocks of Cross Country flights that are more than 50 NM to distinguish them from the ones that are less than 50 in distance because these go toward Private/Commercial/Instrument rating Aeronautical experience requirements.

Just wondering how everybody else has been logging these.

Finally.., After getting my PPL in the Tomahawk/Warrior, I got qualified in the Arrow PA-28R 200 (Single Eng 200HP/Complex) for those not familiar. The endorsement I was given was a "High Performance Endorsement." (Now adays this would require a "Complex Endorsement" and a High Perf only if the engine is GREATER than 200 HP which MY Arrow wasn't) This was back in 1991 so I think the regs were different then. Tried to research this on the FAA web sight looking for Archived FARs (1991) but no luck.

So my thinking is either I got the wrong endorsement, or a "High Perf" Endorsement applied to 200 HP engines AND meant "Complex" back in 1991?

In any case when I get to the interview I just really wanna be prepared with something to address the missing endorsements. Appreciate any feedback, Thanks everybody have a great New Years!

61.31(e)(2)...you're 'grandfathered' into a complex endorsement by virtue of your high-performance endorsement, as it was prior to 8/4/97.

yeah, 61.1(b)(3) explains the x-country logging requirements. you're correct. one is to meet certain aeronautical experience requirements, once those are completed, landings at an airport other than the original departure point using either dead reckoning or radio navigation, or 'other' (e.g. loran, gps, fms) may be logged as such. i never marked mine as you described in my logbooks i flew part 135 for four different companies over the years..think they were just have a warm body, brave soul.. ;)

The missing endorsements should have been caught by your CFI and your DE when you took the checkride. You aren't on the hook for those.

In any case when I get to the interview I just really wanna be prepared with something to address the missing endorsements.

I have a hard time believing that anyone interviewing you will know what the proper endorsements are or could care less if they did.

I have a hard time believing that anyone interviewing you will know what the proper endorsements are or could care less if they did.

four different part 135 operators hired me. to be frank, i don't recall much about a single one spending a second if that going through my own logbook. again, if it's part 135 you seek, they like warm bodies, brave souls..

part 121? someone else will have to chime in.. :bandit:

I'm guessing it is his own homemade logbook or he is using one of the empty columns to make his own title for it.

empty column. since I don't have my atp, I still keep track of the 50+, but since I am always looking for a 135 gig, I want to have a column for point to point as well

In my paper logbook I log just xc > 50 miles, to keep it consistent.

In Logbook Pro (or you can use any equivalent) I created a separate column for point-to-point xc.

ASA and gleim logbooks has 2 XC columns. One for all XC and one for XC over 50nm.

ASA does? Let me relook the larger book, for the ASA-SP-30 only has one cross country column.

My electronic Safelog logs the over 50nm xc.

Someone will have to help me here, for now I'm confused. How do you log an xc if it's NOT over 50nm? Could you also explain the logic behind doing so if it's > 50 nm?

Someone will have to help me here, for now I'm confused. How do you log an xc if it's NOT over 50nm? Could you also explain the logic behind doing so if it's > 50 nm?
61.1(b)(3) contains three definitions of cross country time depending on the its purpose that the time is being used for. Looking at them should answer your question, but in order to count toward the cross country requirements for all FAA pilot certificates and ratings, except the ATP certificate, the cross country must include a landing >50 nm from where you started to count. (You don't have to land to count it toward ATP cross country requirements)

Other than that, the definition of a cross country is a flight in which you land somewhere other than where you started and navigated to get there. There is no distance requirement. While they don't count toward any FAA certificates or ratings, these cross countries do count for other things - Part 135 cross country requirements for example, which is why people try to count them.

Keeping them separate from each other is just good bookkeeping.

61.1(b)(3) contains three definitions of cross country time depending on the its purpose that the time is being used for. Looking at them should answer your question, but in order to count toward the cross country requirements for all FAA pilot certificates and ratings, except the ATP certificate, the cross country must include a landing >50 nm from where you started to count. (You don't have to land to count it toward ATP cross country requirements)

Other than that, the definition of a cross country is a flight in which you land somewhere other than where you started and navigated to get there. There is no distance requirement. While they don't count toward any FAA certificates or ratings, these cross countries do count for other things - Part 135 cross country requirements for example, which is why people try to count them.

Keeping them separate from each other is just good bookkeeping.

I still need to ask the astronaut commanders and pilots how they log shuttle hours when they "liftoff" and land in Florida. Between the pad and the runway, it's less than 50nm. . . not that they care. ;)

I still need to ask the astronaut commanders and pilots how they log shuttle hours when they "liftoff" and land in Florida. Between the pad and the runway, it's less than 50nm. . . not that they care. ;)
They takeoff at one place and land at another using pilotage, ded reckoning or radio nav....sounds like xc to me. I just want to know how they log Multi-engine time going up and glider time coming down. :panic:

..do you s'pose they have to report canceling IFR passing FL600?

-mini

Back