Lightning strike

moxiepilot

I wish the video was running, since it was 3 feet in front of my face. Bolt hit top right radome.

The captain squeeked or possibly yipped. She was startled. It made me laugh.

I wish the video was running, since it was 3 feet in front of my face. Bolt hit top right radome.

The captain squeeked or possibly yipped. She was startled. It made me laugh.
Are you capable of inspecting the airplane after landing? I understand 121 operations can vary quite a bit, just write it up and walk up the jet bridge and forget about it, or was it 135 where you might have a chance to look a little deeper? I only ask because in my experience the entry point can look like a pinhole but as the airframe does its job dissipating all of that energy other things have a tendency to get damaged. I recall I used to take care of a G200, the owner was on board one night when they caught a pretty good strike on the nose enroute to homebase, the airplane didn't miss a beat. After they landed in the middle of the night in that same storm the pilot sent me a message and a couple of pictures of some burnt static wicks. I went to work the next day and started inspecting the airplane for a lightning strike. The radome had a couple of what looked like pinholes in the paint and there was a couple of fried static wicks, I looked a bit further and found a couple of flight controls that had been "overcooked'. I ended up having to replace an aileron and an elevator. While I was doing this work the owner showed up and told me his side of the story, apparently a plasma sort of thing went down the aisle and freaked him out a little bit. I assured him the airplane had performed exactly as it was designed and that the pilots had assured me it never even blinked. Pinholes in a radome are important if you're not friendly with the flight crew, luckily at that time we had a good combination of personalities taking care of that airplane.

Whoo that's a story.

We do a post flight walk around and report to mx. I couldn't see any obvious damage, but that's 25' up. Didn't see any blown static wicks either.

Hopefully my finds any damage, but it is the MIA base so I'm skeptical

This was in the air safety network reports a couple days ago.

Same airline, same day, same airport, 10 minutes apart. An A321 and an A330 departed. Both were struck by lighting soon after departure. Assume Capt # 3 decided wait.

To aircraft
Date:15-JAN-2022
Time:c. 1905 UTC
Type:
Silhouette image of generic A332 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Airbus A330-203
Owner/operator:Türk Hava Yolları - Turkish Airlines
MSN:754
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants:
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Unknown
TC.gif
Turkey
Phase:Initial climb
Nature:Passenger - Scheduled
Departure airport:Istanbul Airport (IST/LTFM)
Destination airport:Amman-Queen Alia International Airport (AMM/OJAI)
Narrative:
Turkish Airlines flight TK812, an Airbus A330-203, suffered a lightning strike after takeoff from Istanbul International Airport, Turkey.
The aircraft entered holding patterns and landed safely back at Istanbul Airport 53minutes after takeoff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time:c. 19:15 UTC
Type:
Silhouette image of generic A21N model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Airbus A321-271NX
MSN:8732
TC.gif
Turkey
Destination airport:Baghdad International Airport (BGW/ORBI)
Narrative:
Turkish Airlines flight TK302, an Airbus A321neo, suffered a lightning strike after takeoff from Istanbul International Airport, Turkey.
The aircraft entered holding patterns over the Sea of Marmara and landed safely back at Istanbul Airport 67 minutes after takeoff.

Last edited:
While I was doing this work the owner showed up and told me his side of the story, apparently a plasma sort of thing went down the aisle and freaked him out a little bit.

Years ago somewhere over upstate New York, we has some ball lightning pass through the cockpit and disappear through the door. The FA said in emerged out of the door on her side and floated all the way down the aisle and out the back of the plane. Crazy stuff.

This was in the air safety network reports a couple days ago.

Same airline, same day, same airport, 10 minutes apart. An A321 and an A330 departed. Both were struck by lighting soon after departure. Assume Capt # 3 decided wait.

To aircraft
Time:c. 1905 UTC
Type:
Silhouette image of generic A332 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Airbus A330-203
MSN:754
Other fatalities:0
TC.gif
Turkey
Destination airport:Amman-Queen Alia International Airport (AMM/OJAI)
Narrative:
Turkish Airlines flight TK812, an Airbus A330-203, suffered a lightning strike after takeoff from Istanbul International Airport, Turkey.
The aircraft entered holding patterns and landed safely back at Istanbul Airport 53minutes after takeoff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time:c. 19:15 UTC
Type:
Silhouette image of generic A21N model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Airbus A321-271NX
MSN:8732
TC.gif
Turkey
Destination airport:Baghdad International Airport (BGW/ORBI)
Narrative:
Turkish Airlines flight TK302, an Airbus A321neo, suffered a lightning strike after takeoff from Istanbul International Airport, Turkey.
The aircraft entered holding patterns over the Sea of Marmara and landed safely back at Istanbul Airport 67 minutes after takeoff.

Maybe the Gods were mad that Istanbul was Constantinople.

Years ago somewhere over upstate New York, we has some ball lightning pass through the cockpit and disappear through the door. The FA said in emerged out of the door on her side and floated all the way down the aisle and out the back of the plane. Crazy stuff.
My buddy swears over central Wisconsin he had lights circle around is 402 for several minutes, then disappear. It was stormy that evening, I was flying too but experienced nothing abnormal other than getting the crap beat out of me. Weird night though, it was like you felt the charge in the air ya know?

I believe him, but it sounded fantastical.

Yeah, but now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople. The Gods may be mad, but ultimately, why it's Istanbul is nobody's business but the Turks.
Well, even old New York was once New Amsterdam. Why’d they change it? I can’t say. Maybe they liked it better that way.
Iwo Jima is now Iwo To. I think they did it just out of spite. I mean, we didn't change the name of Wake Island.

My radome got hit once knocking out our radar at night going north from DEN. We turned around and went back to DEN. Too many cells around us to continue north.

This thread has big stories. They might even be giant ones.
Passive aggressive ass hole starts questioning other peoples stories. That's a crappy way to go through life. Ask me a question about my story and I'll fill in any blanks.

Last edited:
Passive aggressive ass hole starts questioning other peoples stories. That's a crappy way to go through life. Ask me a question about my story and I'll fill in any blanks.

I'm getting the impression that you may have missed the running joke as well. "istanbul (Not Constantinople)" was a song performend by the band They Might Be Giants. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Ozzie's comment, like a few others in this thread after the post about the 2 incidents in Istanbul, was a reference to said song.

I'm getting the impression that you may have missed the running joke as well. "istanbul (Not Constantinople)" was a song performend by the band They Might Be Giants. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Ozzie's comment, like a few others in this thread after the post about the 2 incidents in Istanbul, was a reference to said song.

I know, here's another song...

My buddy swears over central Wisconsin he had lights circle around is 402 for several minutes, then disappear. It was stormy that evening, I was flying too but experienced nothing abnormal other than getting the crap beat out of me. Weird night though, it was like you felt the charge in the air ya know?

I believe him, but it sounded fantastical.

I had a Baron or some other light twin ask me if we had anything flying over the Gulf of Mexico near him. Replied in the negative. He said there was strange lights moving back and forth and changing altitude. I asked if he wanted to report a ufo. He said hell no. My guess is he saw ship lights and an optical illusion that they were moving but who knows.

Back