Late night flight with a strange request...

[ QUOTE ]
Disagree, 602. I'd do it more diplomatically if I were you...........

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was being diplomatic. My first response was to leave the cockpit, go to the back and administer my patented "WTF are you thinking-2"x4" over the head-repeat-as-neccessary," answer
cool.gif

"Ummm, I think we're about to hit some chop, seat belt light's coming on!"

Why?
At the present state of public opinion, I think it would raise too many eyebrows in the cabin. They can wait until they're on the ground to pray if they want to be discrete.

If I were in the left seat, I think I would look in the Airline Policy Manual and find the closest match in policy that applies to this situation. There is probably not going to be an exact remedy for this exact situation in writing, (I don't think an airline would risk possible bad publicity over possibly discriminitory policies) so I would find the section that prescribes the policy on passengers out of their seats. Hopefully there is a little guidance in there to base my decision off of. I would tend to probably try and find a way to say no, but I would want to have airline policy backing my decision. Basically I just want to cover my own ass with company policy....
wink.gif
So if there is litigation or bad press as a result of my decision, I still would have made the right decision.

Dude, funny story time,
My dad was flying BACK and I mean BACk in the days, in some kinda multi engine DC-3? as a FO. It was in the 70's, I think. Anyways, the story goes like this, everything was going normal on the flight, after a while I guess the engine caught fire and the next thing they know the stewardess(used to call em that in those days) comes running in the cockpit with the Koran in her hand saying, "Captain Captain, the plane is on fire, here is the Koran, will you pray for the people?" My dad said, the next thing that happend was the Captain let out the loudest senetence of profanity there was at the stewardess. It went something like, You Go* Dam* son of a Bitc*, get that dam* book out of my sight before I stick it up your go* Dam* *ussy. It looses A LOT of its funny side in its translation. I guess he was pissed because instead of taking care of the passengers she comes running in the cockpit thinking the plane will be somehow saved by reading the book out loud. Its more funny when my dad tells the story. Ahahahah.

Don't get me started on whats going on at Kabul airport where he's flying in right now. We'll have to save that story for next years fly in!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
in some kinda multi engine DC-3?

[/ QUOTE ]
As opposed to a single engine DC-3?
grin.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist.

From today's newsletter:
[ QUOTE ]
Prayers to Mecca Delay Flight Take-off

A British Airways flight was delayed after a group of passengers began praying to Mecca and worried crew members contacted police, Scotland Yard said today.

Flight BA676 from London Heathrow to Istanbul was taxiing to a runway for take-off yesterday morning when the group started to pray.

Worried passengers brought it to the attention of cabin crew, who called the police.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “Police were called at 11.07am yesterday to a BA flight which was due to take off for Istanbul.

“The crew had reported to police that a group of passengers had been acting suspiciously.

“The police attended, conducted checks on the passengers and were satisfied that everything was ok. The flight was then allowed to take off.”

The Sun newspaper said the five were travelling to Turkey for a family funeral.

The flight took off two-and-a-half hours late.
http://www.news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2243790

[/ QUOTE ]

See...

That's what I like about the British.

They get sh*t done. Political correctness be damned!!

That's the way we should be!

Naunga

Anyone know how Saudi Air deals with this? I flew Saudi Air many years back, and I dont recall any different open floor space for prayer rugs. I do remember their flight magazine (English version) had an ad for a little world travel clock that would always give you the time in Mecca, and in which direction to pray.

since religion seems to be the common problem for wars these days and pretty much through out time, i would have to say no... can they even bring a personal item like that on board?

Tell them you have a nice patio(wings) on both sides of the aircraft for they to pray. Thats what SWA tells the smokers.

Our flight attendant called up and said "we have an arab man praying back here, just to let you know." I said "uh, ok, is there something you wanted me to do about it? Or is it just information?" She said it was just information, so I said ok, is he still in his seat, where at, yadda yadda yadda. She said he was still in his seat in the back, and I said ok just let me know if some fool back there does something stupid to him. Then I made some flippant comment about him probably not doing that on a jet... he's probably just praying he makes it home alive.
grin.gif

Couldn't he pray earlier or later? I mean, it's not like God or Allah or whoever, is going anyplace.
smile.gif

Wow...talk about controversy... I would say no as well. I mean in all seroiousness and this was kinda mentioned before, it has nothing at all to do with my personal feelings on the matter, but the fact I have to consider I have 100+ people sitting behind that door to my back that all have feelings emotions fears and prejudices of their own. Fact is something like that would more than likely cause a problem on the plane, and for the safety of my flight crew (counting FA's to) and every passenger including the ones that want to pray, it'd be better not to stir up the hornets nest.

I would tell them that allah has no place on my plane. Seriously, I would tell them that there is turbulance expected and I would turn on the seatbelt sign. You would not create a problem by doing this. Infact, I would say this is by far the best remedy for the situation. After you land tell the muslims that allah must have been looking over us because the turbulance wasn't there.

[ QUOTE ]
Would tell someone that Jesus has no place on your airplane too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, along with Budda, the Pope, etc, et al.

Equal opportunity and all...
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Would tell someone that Jesus has no place on your airplane too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Allah, Jesus, Buddha, etc. Different names for the same invisible friend.
tongue.gif

Back