KSMO, a Kalifornia airport

For some interesting reading, take a look at the efforts to shut down Navy OLF Coupeville on Whidbey Island. It looks like the wackos from California that moved there don't like jets and understand politics and effective activism.

For some interesting reading, take a look at the efforts to shut down Navy OLF Coupeville on Whidbey Island. It looks like the wackos from California that moved there don't like jets and understand politics and effective activism.
How many people moved there from California and want the field closed? How many citizens are natives from the area and want the field closed?

How many people moved there from California and want the field closed? How many citizens are natives from the area and want the field closed?

Up until the 90's, the area surrounding Coupeville OLF was sparsely populated. Starting in the mid-90's, this sleepy rural area saw development that attracted many rich Californians, British Columbians, among others. If you don't trust my demographic observations, fine. The houses weren't there 25 years ago, the area attracted the interest of many non-natives, a disproportionate number from California. Sure, some locals have joined the opposition.

In my mind, if you move to an area proximate to a military airfield that has been active since the 60's and complain about the noise you are a wacko that should be ignored. In the case of Coupeville OLF, many of the wackos are from California. If you think my demographic observation has no merit, fine.

Here's an overhead shot:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=coup...Coupeville,+Island,+Washington&gl=us&t=h&z=14

Last edited:
I just don't see any proof as to my original query: How many people moved there from California and want the field closed? How many citizens are natives from the area or from other areas besides California that want the field closed? It's a simple question is all.

I just don't see any proof as to my original query: How many people moved there from California and want the field closed? How many citizens are natives from the area or from other areas besides California that want the field closed? It's a simple question is all.
I've lived here long enough to consider myself a local ("Don't bother me, I'm local"), and I would not object to SMO being closed to turbine/turbofan traffic.

I would object to it being closed to piston GA, though.

It's a simple question that is difficult to accurately answer. What methodology do you suggest?

Screw it. I don't really care what you think. The influx of Californians to south Whidbey is well established, at least to the folks that know the area. Who is leading the fight against the OLF? Those that bought land close to the airfield. Who has supported these landowners? Not surprisingly, the usual anti-military and poorly educated eco-warrior types.

I grew up there. The demographic changes were obvious. Beyond that, I have no great interest in defending my observations. The dozen farmers that used to own the land surrounding the OLF didn't give a damn for half a century. The new landowners have a problem with the noise. Many of those landowners are from California. They have rallied support from those beyond the impacted area.

Among the loudest voices that are fighting to close the OLF are those that joined the real estate party late, buying at the height of the boom. An OLF closure would allow investors to sell without taking a beating.

In my post, I suggested the fight makes for some interesting reading. If you are interested, let Google be your friend.

Last edited:
Considering the Government is shut down, I should be okay for a few days.
1b2157e533492e78297c16e6cbe1dfceb91d191.gif

What happens if an active Air Force or Coast Guard banned airframe lands? The airport, on orders of the City Council, tries to fine them and the appropriate Inspector General's office quotes the supremacy of Federal law over state and local, and tells them to go pound salt water (USCG) or cloud vapor (USAF)?

Good luck collecting, KSMO!

I may or may not know a thing or two about SMO. When I worked there, it was only civil aircraft that were enforceable. The fastest way to a carpet dance in front of the chief was to either A. publicly acknowledge a military plane flew in there. B. Try to bust a military plane.

The funny thing is to enforce this MUNICIPAL CODE violation, you have to violate the rule twice -- the second time being the violating factor. In theory, you can land once in a prohibited plane. And if you exceed 95db, you could never come back. Believe it or not, there were people that tried it with various aircraft. Was generally a sight to see...

I've lived here long enough to consider myself a local ("Don't bother me, I'm local"), and I would not object to SMO being closed to turbine/turbofan traffic.

I would object to it being closed to piston GA, though.

You're no where near SMO. But you are near CMA. Would you prefer the noise to come your way? I for one don't want to see it close to any traffic. Why should it be limited in size/type of aircraft?

You're no where near SMO. But you are near CMA. Would you prefer the noise to come your way? I for one don't want to see it close to any traffic. Why should it be limited in size/type of aircraft?
Money.

And Camarillo isn't (as) surrounded by houses, either. Traffic on the final is sufficiently south of town.

AFIS LINK ACK

Back