KSMO, a Kalifornia airport

The Avianti gets lots of noise complaints, but isn't really any louder than any other PT6 powered craft. In fact, coming in at 81.x dB, it's actually quieter than most. Problem is the interaction between the 5-blade pushers and the exhaust flow. Makes for a very "disturbing" noise. I believe the Avanti's signature is in F minor key which is emotionally associated with depression and death. Funeral dirges are generally F minor.

In any case, before I hear any more yammering from the anti-airport folks who routinely use aircraft noise as a proxy for their envy-induced hatred of aviation, I want every Harley rider issued a noise citation. You just gotta love the cubical warrior who shows up at an airport meeting to make noise complaints, then turns around and obsequiously chats up the hog rider. Most Harleys are in the high 90 dB range, with many well into the 100s. Aviation stage 3 maxes out at 89 dB. dB is a logarithmic scale which means that the power output of 80dB is an order of magnitude less than 90dB, and 90dB an order of magnitude less than 100dB !!

But more important, the aviation community is trying hard to make inherently noisy aircraft quieter, while the Harley community is trying hard intentionally to make easily-silenced motorcycles as loud as possible. No wonder we elect 3rd graders to congress.

Funny thing is, loud motorcycles really really really suck to ride often, or for any kind of time. Unless you're basically only a bar hopper with the thing, I have no idea why you'd want a loud motorcycle. The fatigue from the noise is considerable, enough that if I wear earplugs on a long ride I feel so so much better.
People with obnoxiously loud motorcycles own garage queens.

I busted the sensors at John Wayne in the 182. And it was way over 95. Hope they don't figure this out and ban me as we'llwe'll

In all honesty, SMO airport authority or government doing this; all they'll succeed in doing is pushing traffic and business to VNY, BUR and CMA; revenue they're restricting themselves from. But, if eventual closure of the airport is some long-term agenda of theirs, then they're on the right track to succeed.

In all honesty, SMO airport authority or government doing this; all they'll succeed in doing is pushing traffic and business to VNY, BUR and CMA; revenue they're restricting themselves from. But, if eventual closure of the airport is some long-term agenda of theirs, then they're on the right track to succeed.
And therein lies the rub. Many residents have wanted the airport closed for years now.

From the Santa Monica Patch July 17, 2013 at 08:12 AM

Rep. Henry Waxman sent a letter Wednesday to the Federal Aviation Association asking that the agency take part in a forum to discuss options for the future of the Santa Monica Airport.

“The Santa Monica Airport is just feet from many homes in Santa Monica," Waxman said. "For years, residents have had to live with safety, noise, and pollution issues at the airport."

The Santa Monica City Council has indicated it would like a 1984 agreement with the FAA and other leases to expire in 2015.

"It’s time to start having frank conversation with the FAA about SMO post-2015," Waxman said. "I am asking the FAA to participate in a forum to hear from local residents and the city about their priorities for the airport."

Several pilots, mechanics and other aviation industry officials have spoken out against any plans to partially or completely close the airport."

And....

May 07, 2013 at 03:55 PM

After a four hour meeting, the Santa Monica City Council directed city staff Tuesday to continue exploring options for the future of the Santa Monica Airport, including the possible impacts of a partial or complete closure.

In an unanimous vote, council members voted to focus on finding ways to reduce airport noise, air pollution and safety risks through revised leasing policies, voluntary agreements and restrictions. Mayor Pro Tem Terry O'Day was absent.

City staff were also directed to continue to assess the potential risks and benefits of a full or partial closure of the airport. They will bring back a report to the council in March 2014.

The council also asked staff to go back and evaluate five recommendations from the Santa Monica Airport Commission and to continue talks with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

City staff acknowledged in a staff report that although a city-wide resident satisfaction survey shows that airport impacts are not a major concern to most residents, the airport's neighbors will not accept the status quo.

During the meeting, Councilman Bob Holbrook called for change.

"I don't think we can leave it as it is. We have to make changes. We have to move forward with the future. We have to think of future generations and what would be best for them," Holbrook said.

Councilman Kevin McKeown said public testimony about health concerns troubled him and that he wanted to see a reduction of flights, particularly training and test flights over neighborhoods in Santa Monica, Venice and Mar Vista.

"It doesn't make sense to me to have some of those operations taking place in this particular geographical physical location with the number of people who live under these flight paths," McKeown said.

McKeown said he wants a 1984 agreement with the FAA and other leases to expire in 2015.

Legal concerns

Early on in the meeting, City Attorney Marsha Jones Moutrie outlined the city's legal options in the exploration of the future of the Santa Monica Airport.

Moutrie said city staff met with representatives from the FAA to convey community sentiment about noise, safety and air quality, but did not reach a deal.

“We did stress that council is coming to a decision point about the airport and the community is demanding change,” Moutrie said.

She said the city owns the airport, but the city's choices are limited by federal law and several agreements, adding that the FAA has both legislative and judicial powers.

The city believes its agreement with the FAA expires in 2015, while the FAA maintains the date is 2023.

Moutrie outlined the city's options in exploring the questions about the future of the airport and encouraged the council to consider the best options for the community. She said the city could likely not afford to put in a park. She also said that any reuse would likely be more dense.

Airport concerns

As a four-hour public hearing featuring nearly 100 speakers got underway, Los Angeles City Councilman Bill Rosendahl told the council he used to live in the flight path of the airport and that he has since moved.

He encouraged the Santa Monica City Council to take leadership and explore the question on whether the airport can be closed in 2015.

Santa Monica Airport Commissioner David Goddard said in a presentation that the city can close 2,000 feet of runway by repaying $250,000 in grant assurance funds. He pointed to Chicago's closure of Meigs Field as a successful example.

Only a small Class-B airport would be left with limited operations in Santa Monica, Goddard said.

Jerry Rubin, a Santa Monica activist, asked for a moment of silence for two people killed in a plane crash in the Santa Monica Mountains.

One opponent of the airport pointed to neighborhood and community surveys that show support for reducing air traffic or shutting down the airport.

"The community has spoken," the woman said. Others pointed out noise and health concerns, with one man explaining that he plans to get his children tested for lead exposure.

Frank Gruber, a former Santa Monica City Council candidate, called on the council to consider shuttering the airport and converting it into a park."

This mishegaas has been going on for years.

That's 'cause these assclowns live near the airport....

smo-biohazard-rally.jpg

Oh, and CHEMTRAILZZZZZ ARRRGGGG!

Considering the history of the airport and that in 1922 Douglas was using the area which became the airport, to fly and test aircraft that he was building, it's ridiculous. The first Powder Puff derby flew from there. Leer had a huge facility next to the field. Same old crap fest with these idiots. Hell, much of the housing around the airport was built for Douglas employees to begin with.

Considering the history of the airport and that in 1922 Douglas was using the area which became the airport, to fly and test aircraft that he was building, it's ridiculous. The first Powder Puff derby flew from there. Leer had a huge facility next to the field. Same old crap fest with these idiots. Hell, much of the housing around the airport was built for Douglas employees to begin with.

I don't think historical factors should rank too highly on decisions to keep airports open. Otherwise, the Hughes strip in Marina Del Rey would still be there...

The conversation should be a frank discussion over community benefits vs community costs. The discussion gets hard because the benefits tend to be skewed towards the upper class while the costs tend to be skewed towards the lower class (that condo on 2 mile final sure was cheap!) Some governments have that conversation better than others.

GREAT i dont see the BAC 1-11-200 on the list............nothing like the sound of an un hushed RR SPEY at takeoff power! but this way of thinking should not suprise any one, these are the same idots that want to ban certain firearms because of how they look. OHHHHHH that AR-15 looks EEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL .

What happens if an active Air Force or Coast Guard banned airframe lands? The airport, on orders of the City Council, tries to fine them and the appropriate Inspector General's office quotes the supremacy of Federal law over state and local, and tells them to go pound salt water (USCG) or cloud vapor (USAF)?

Good luck collecting, KSMO!

Back