Kellwolf's Major Airline Experience

Untitled8.jpg

Improved user experience.

First FTD today. Went over the electrical system pretty in depth, talked about failures, system logic and redudancy. Spent a lot of time on APU and fuel systems as well. Did an intro to the FMS/ACARS, but I think most of it went in one ear and out the other. In the CRJ, the FMS kinda helped and steered the airplane. In the E190, I don't think the plane would FUNCTION without the FMS. Between the autothrottle settings, VNAV, LNAV, radios and anti-ice. You pretty much configure all that and more using the FMS. Tomorrow is another FTD session, two days off for Thanksgiving, one more FTD and the systems knowledge validation (aka the oral) on Sunday.

Every time I read one of these updates my jealously grows even larger. Glad everything is going well for ya there and that you were able to make the great 9E escape!!

Thanks for sticking with writing this - interesting stuff for us pogues who have never been through 121 training.

First FTD today. Went over the electrical system pretty in depth, talked about failures, system logic and redudancy. Spent a lot of time on APU and fuel systems as well. Did an intro to the FMS/ACARS, but I think most of it went in one ear and out the other. In the CRJ, the FMS kinda helped and steered the airplane. In the E190, I don't think the plane would FUNCTION without the FMS. Between the autothrottle settings, VNAV, LNAV, radios and anti-ice. You pretty much configure all that and more using the FMS. Tomorrow is another FTD session, two days off for Thanksgiving, one more FTD and the systems knowledge validation (aka the oral) on Sunday.

Holy smokes... you take a systems oral after only a week of systems classes?

Holy smokes... you take a systems oral after only a week of systems classes?

Sounds pretty similar to what I saw at FlightSafety getting a civilian type rating. The whole course there, all the way through getting an ATP and a type, was 15 days.

The CBTs are a great tool. However, after a while I find myself just zoning out. There's just so much information here. What I've been doing is running about 3-4 sections of the CBT, then going back into the FCOM II and reading the associated sections there. After that, I'll run through the same sections in the lights and switches guide. Seems to be working as a lot of the info is starting to stick. Some of the systems are similar to the CRJ, and I'd imagine they are very similar to the ERJ-145 and the 170/175.

Nerd!:D

How's it going animal?

Heh. I'm actually enjoying digging into the aircraft systems, books, etc, etc. Ask JTrain how I get on this stuff. He had to live with me when I was getting my CFI ratings. As for the systems oral, we actually take it after doing the CBT stuff and 3 4 hour FTD sessions. Believe me, learning systems in the FTD is MUCH better than learning them in a classroom via powerpoint. We get to pull up synoptic pages, look at schematics and play the "What happens if I hit this switch?" game in the FTD. I was having some trouble with the anti-ice logic as well as the ECS stuff, and today fixed it for me. Why? I was able to just play with the system to see what happened when I did what. I get confused with this automatic anti-ice and bleed stuff. :)

Last FTD session before the "oral" tomorrow. Went over basically all the stuff we hadn't been over in the previous two sessions, so this was more like a catch all. Basically, and they've told us this repeatedly, study the lights and switches guide they gave us, and we'll do fine. Every day after the FTD, they've done review quizzes with the whole class so we know what kind of questions they might ask us.

Best part is it's standardized. No "Man, I hope I don't get THAT guy for the oral." situations. From what I can gather, it's basically a Powerpoint slide show they click through to quiz you on things. Question pops up, you answer, they click to the next slide to see if you got it right.

The check airmen will read scripted Q's. Know Lights & Switches plus the limitations and you can be out of there in under an hour...or so. :cool:

Passed the systems oral check this morning. It was scheduled for 2 hours, and we were done in about 45 minutes. Basically, no surprises. Everyone was pretty straight forward about what we needed to know, and there were no surprises. We actually probably knew much deeper into the systems than was necessary. At Pinnacle, I had to know what bleed stage the starter was off, what things were connected to the accessorty gear box, which bleeds provided heat for the anti-ice, etc, etc. Here....it was "Well, it goes off the on side bleeds, then the off side bleeds, then the APU." I even asked which bleed stages did what, and it was more of a "Hell, I'd have to ask Tech Ops about all that." Basically, if you know what switches do what, then that's really all you need to know. I think anyone coming from a regional won't buy it. I know hardly anyone in my class did. When they told us "Just know this," we were all behaving like abused dogs in a shelter. The nice person came to adopt us, but we still weren't sure if we could trust them. :)

After that, we got an intro to the FMS on the 190. The way this is set up here it flows VERY well. Basically, know where to start, fill out all the stuff on the left, then all the stuff on the right, next page, repeat until you come to the last page, hit the bottom right button, repeat. Follow that, and you'll fill out 99% of what you need in the FMS. Then we did some intercepting and tracking. It's much smarter than the FMS in the CRJ when it comes to things like that. We were the lucky ones and did the FMS training in one of the sims rather than an FTD, so I got to fool around with the HUD. That thing is awesome!

Tomorrow starts the "Procedures" phase, and it seems like it's going to be considerably tougher. This is all FTD work with my sim partner working on flows, call outs and profiles.

I like that they've adopted the "If you can't control it from the cockpit or read it on a gauge, it's not all that important" concept of training.

When I went through 727 F/E ground school in 90 it was 30 days of systems and you had to build the jet and memorize checklists. Now, we don't have an oral anymore, just a written test from a question bank, and the memory limitations and checklists are maybe a fifth of what they used to be. I'm not complaining, at all, but it's amazing how far the Feds have let it go.

I know.

It's almost a joke now and people still have problems with it.

I was in the last class that had to "build the airplane" in the 757/767 and now, lots of folks just glare and o "look at the pretty EICAS message... Double rainbow, what does it meeeeeeeean? woooooowwwwww"

Sent from my free Obama Phone

Back