Kellwolf's Major Airline Experience

jetBlue hit the "major" status a while back, and no. We don't consider ourselves a low cost carrier. We're a "value" carrier. We're rarely the cheapest out there, but our costs ARE a lot lower than, say, Delta. :) I think the term "low cost carrier" is a pretty poor term myself. I think SWA rode it as a marketing tool for a while, but even they aren't the lowest cost our there a lot of times.

Blee, I went with the 190 because a) I'd get off reserve sometime in 2013. Lots of guys are seeing their equipment locks on the 190 expire, so likely they will bid over to the bus as line holders. And b) I'll be here 5-6 years before I could hold the 'Bus in MCO. Soul Brotha will beat me to that LONG before I can hold it.

As for hiring, there's already one more class scheduled for Dec 5th. Based on the system bid from a couple of months ago, there SHOULD be plenty more classes coming up in 2013. I'd imagine it will at least clear out the pool. They're talking 100-150 on the low end for the hiring numbers next year. As usual, it's all subject to change at the drop of a hat. Hence the reason I was in a pool for about a year.

Today was more or less when the fire hose was switched on. It was moments of information overload interspersed with boredom. Today was FAR and Ops Spec review. MOST of our class is former 121 guys. We've got one military and a couple of corporate guys, too. So, most of the stuff we were able to get through pretty quickly since most of us had seen it before in previous jobs. Mostly, we got familiar with the FOM and how to find things in it. The search function in Adobe.....well, it ain't all that great. I've been finding the best way to get used to the FOM is just to read the darn thing, figure out where things are and use the bookmarks on the side of the page to use it. Most of the time, doing a search returns 0 results. Other times, it comes up with everything EXCEPT what you're looking for. Example: Question was "How old do you have to be to sit in the Exit Row?" Well, we all know the answer is 15, but where do you find it in the FOM. A search of "exit row" nets about 30 results. A search of "exit row requirements" nets you 0. A search of "exit row criteria" takes you right to it. So, reading it, for me, is the best way to figure it out. Downside.....the FOM is EIGHT HUNDRED PAGES. Section 1: General clocks in at about the size of Pinnacle's entire FOM. I said it earlier, though. I'm an info junkie, so for me, this is a GOOD thing. We also got our IDs today, so I can stop walking around with the JetBlue U piece of paper with my name on it.

Good thing about today being mostly review, we got out about 2 hours early, so I was able to come home and hit the lights and switches guide they gave us along with some of the systems CBT. My kid is fascinated by the E190 systems CBT CD and watched two whole systems chapters with me. He knows what antennas do what and how to put out an engine fire now. Not sure if should be proud or scared at this point. Tomorrow is more review stuff, Sunday is a day off, but with our first test coming up on Monday, we'll likely turn Sunday into a study session day.

Try ezReader. That's the one our company uses, so the Outline mode is super helpful.

Zap. rumors we're hearing are interviews in 1Q of 2013. I'd wager the app window opens up again in Jan/Feb.

Today was a bit mind numbing since most of us came from a 121 background. I can see how it's necessary for people coming from corporate and military, though. Most of the day was spent going over things like Jeppesen charts, weather and winter ops. I have to say, though, winter ops is MUCH better organized over here. We've got all airports broken down in an airport briefing guide. Basically, if you're flying into or out of an airport, this little gem will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know. Think of it as an AOI/CCI (or a 10-whatever it is in Jepps) on steroids. Ops frequencies, parking locations, de-ice procedures, how many marshallers do you need, traffic flow patterns, "when ATC tells you to descend to 3,000 from 10,000 at this point it's a hint to get down fast," etc, etc. In the CRJ, I probably pulled the QRH out maybe twice a month for something other than a malfunction. I'm going to be pulling up the jetBlue one a LOT. Between all the performance charts and flow diagrams, it's a handy piece of info. Wanna know if you're legal to depart with those pesky ice pellets? Follow the flow diagram. At Pinnacle stuff was scattered all over the place in the FOM and CFM when it came to things like that. It was EASY to forget about one little thing that would bite you in the ass. Doesn't look like that's the case here. Off tomorrow, and Monday is going to be a LOOOOONG day. Error and threat management in the morning, uniform fittings in the afternoon, turbulence avoidance, a few more things and then a test on the indoc stuff last thing.

Zap. rumors we're hearing are interviews in 1Q of 2013. I'd wager the app window opens up again in Jan/Feb.

Today was a bit mind numbing since most of us came from a 121 background. I can see how it's necessary for people coming from corporate and military, though. Most of the day was spent going over things like Jeppesen charts, weather and winter ops. I have to say, though, winter ops is MUCH better organized over here. We've got all airports broken down in an airport briefing guide. Basically, if you're flying into or out of an airport, this little gem will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know. Think of it as an AOI/CCI (or a 10-whatever it is in Jepps) on steroids. Ops frequencies, parking locations, de-ice procedures, how many marshallers do you need, traffic flow patterns, "when ATC tells you to descend to 3,000 from 10,000 at this point it's a hint to get down fast," etc, etc. In the CRJ, I probably pulled the QRH out maybe twice a month for something other than a malfunction. I'm going to be pulling up the jetBlue one a LOT. Between all the performance charts and flow diagrams, it's a handy piece of info. Wanna know if you're legal to depart with those pesky ice pellets? Follow the flow diagram. At Pinnacle stuff was scattered all over the place in the FOM and CFM when it came to things like that. It was EASY to forget about one little thing that would bite you in the ass. Doesn't look like that's the case here. Off tomorrow, and Monday is going to be a LOOOOONG day. Error and threat management in the morning, uniform fittings in the afternoon, turbulence avoidance, a few more things and then a test on the indoc stuff last thing.

When in doubt, look about... 'Cause it's better to cheat, than repeat!

Yesterday was a lot more interesting than I thought. First off was the threat and error management class. Honestly, I could have used this years ago when I upgraded at Pinnacle. Pinnacle's approach to threat and error management is death by memo and make examples of those the screw up. The presentation had a slide of how not to do threat and error management. Every bullet point described Pinnacle. It was a 4+ hour class, but I came away with a lot better knowledge of how to approach some situations. Most of the stuff I had figured out on my own as a CA. For new guys upgrading, it would have been nice to have that stuff before hand.

The rest of the day consisted of getting fitted for uniforms, a presentation in the ASAP/FOQA program (which is setup really well), severe weather avoidance and upset recovery. After that, was the indoc test, which, of course, every one passed.

Today is security. All day.

Welcome aboard. I've been here 6 1/2 years and am enjoying my time. However, I must ask you to please vote yes to a CBA when the vote comes around. I've gone from full anti-union guy to volunteering for the organizing committee for the next drive. There are things that only we can do for ourselves. Good luck in training and on the line.

Welcome aboard. I've been here 6 1/2 years and am enjoying my time. However, I must ask you to please vote yes to a CBA when the vote comes around. I've gone from full anti-union guy to volunteering for the organizing committee for the next drive. There are things that only we can do for ourselves. Good luck in training and on the line.

Thanks, man. Trust me, I've got your back. I'd much rather have a single document covering everyone rather than every pilot have to fend for themselves. I mean, the scope language looks okay in the PEA, but the question is what happens when every pilot has to secure a lawyer to fight for themselves. That and the health care is well below average for a major carrier.

Been here over a year and I'm also on the OC. Good to know we are moving in the right direction. Kellwolf, enjoy your time in training and don't worry about this stuff now. You have a lot of info to digest so get to it. Spirits on me when you make it through which will be no problem.

Congrats Kellwolf, JB is on my "wishlist" down the road in another life. Very interesting write ups, thanks!

Okay, getting caught up....

Yesterday was CRM all day long. Mostly the same stuff everyone sees at their own airlines, but this class was more focused on how to communicate the jetBlue way, I liked that several of the videos used examples from jetBlue flights including what went wrong, how things could have been handled better and what went right.

Today started early in the morning with emergency drills. We've got a nice setup up with cabin trainers of both aircraft at the training center. Beats the hell out of hoping MX has a plane in the hangar we can use to open doors. We can just go downstairs, hop in the cabin trainer, and everything is right there. Opened the overwing exits, the flight deck windows and the main cabin door. Also shown how to arm/disarm slides. We can also have up to 19 non-revs without a FA on a ferry flight, so we had to do an evacuation drill complete with yelling commands flight attendent style. Did the fire extinguisher demo and worked with some random other emergency equipment like portable oxygen bottles.

More classroom stuff after that. In the afternoon, we talked about communications and what to do during turbulence events, then it was downstair to change into swim suits for the ditching stuff. First, we had to fight fires with the PBEs on to show we could do it. Donned the life vests, inflated them then jumped in the pool. Couple of survival float drills, then we climbed back onto the A320 slide/raft. Jump BACK into the pool to climb into the E190 raft. Errected the canopy on the E190 raft, took it back down then climbed out of the pool to go get changed again.

Back up in the classroom for HAZMAT training. We basically don't do hazmat except for dry ice and the occasional spillable wheelchair battery, so that was easy. Then out early so guys could commute home since we have three days off.

One more classroom schedule on Monday for international operations, then we start with FTDs next week. In the meantime, I've been going throught the home study stuff for systems that they gave us. I'm looking forward to getting hands on with the E190. Coming from the CRJ, this looks like it's going to be a sweet airplane, and the HUD is out of this world crazy.

Nice write up. It is good to see the day by day perspective. The HUD is every bit as nice as it seems...makes you ten times more lazy than glass but its still great.

Do they still have free beer at the hotel?

Nice write up. It is good to see the day by day perspective. The HUD is every bit as nice as it seems...makes you ten times more lazy than glass but its still great.

Do they still have free beer at the hotel?
Yes. Yes they do. Athough I have yet to spend a night in the hotel room since I only live 20 minutes away from the OSC.

Haven't just been twiddling my thumbs this weekend. I've been diving into the CBT stuff they gave us on the E190. I'm chomping at the bit to actually do things associated with the airplane now. The last week was good, and I have to say the emergency stuff was actually fun since it was a lot of things I'd never done before. I'm just ready to dive into the 190 at this point.

The CBTs are a great tool. However, after a while I find myself just zoning out. There's just so much information here. What I've been doing is running about 3-4 sections of the CBT, then going back into the FCOM II and reading the associated sections there. After that, I'll run through the same sections in the lights and switches guide. Seems to be working as a lot of the info is starting to stick. Some of the systems are similar to the CRJ, and I'd imagine they are very similar to the ERJ-145 and the 170/175.

Also started working on call outs and flows. Luckily, I've been riding up front a lot on jetBlue aircraft, so I already mostly knew the company call outs. They seem to be pretty similar (if not the same) on the Airbus and E190. I'm a visual learner, so the flows are a bit more challenging. The way the material presents the flows are all in text. There is one picture in the book that shows the flight deck with arrows, and that's only the acceptance flow I think. However, things like the before start and after landing flows....no pictures. So, I snagged a picture of the "cockpit poster" on line, and I'll probably draw my own arrows on it with Microsoft Paint or something like that.

More or less the last day of classroom lectures today. In the morning we learned how to use the weight and balance/performance program pre-installed on all of our laptops. It takes a lot of things that were done by dispatch at Pinnacle and puts it in the hands of the pilots. For example, we can request specific runway takeoff and landing numbers and tweak them as needed. Nice thing about this is rather than have a release that's 12 miles long, you can just request what you want when you need it. Plus, you can get up to the minute changes in weather put in there rather than have numbers that were generated 4 hours ago. Word is we're going to Aerodata soon, though.

After lunch, it was on to international operations. I rather enjoyed this since I've never done any of this before. I don't really count Canada as "international." :) Learned how to determine when to call what controlling agency when entering their airspace (ie Cuba), position reporting, flight planning and restrictions on the A320 and E190 and using HF radios. Looking forward to doing some Oceanic flying.

Tomorrow starts the first FTDs focusing on systems.

More or less the last day of classroom lectures today. In the morning we learned how to use the weight and balance/performance program pre-installed on all of our laptops. It takes a lot of things that were done by dispatch at Pinnacle and puts it in the hands of the pilots. For example, we can request specific runway takeoff and landing numbers and tweak them as needed. Nice thing about this is rather than have a release that's 12 miles long, you can just request what you want when you need it. Plus, you can get up to the minute changes in weather put in there rather than have numbers that were generated 4 hours ago. Word is we're going to Aerodata soon, though.

After lunch, it was on to international operations. I rather enjoyed this since I've never done any of this before. I don't really count Canada as "international." :) Learned how to determine when to call what controlling agency when entering their airspace (ie Cuba), position reporting, flight planning and restrictions on the A320 and E190 and using HF radios. Looking forward to doing some Oceanic flying.

Tomorrow starts the first FTDs focusing on systems.

WATRS oceanic is pretty straightforward. Fixed airway routings, fair amount of radar contact with NY and Miami. Definitely read up on track bailouts, because the north/south routings can cause some confusion on whether you turn east or west.

HF radios in RJs. What is this world coming to?

If the 190 is an RJ, then you have to consider some of the older DC-9s RJs as well. Hen you're doing BOS-SJU, "regional" doesn't seem to cut it anymore. Besides, if 100 seats is the new cut off for RJs, we're all doomed.....

Although, pretty sure the CRJ-900s at 9E also had HF radios.

Back