Kapa crash

Yes, sounds like it was Key Lime 182. It's sobering listening to the LiveATC recording. The pilot reported an engine failure immediately after takeoff and stated he was returning to KAPA. Tower then advised him he could use any runway and asked if he could make the turn. The pilot only responded with "Standby."

Yes, sounds like it was Key Lime 182. It's sobering listening to the LiveATC recording. The pilot reported an engine failure immediately after takeoff and stated he was returning to KAPA. Tower then advised him he could use any runway and asked if he could make the turn. The pilot only responded with "Standby."

Where did you find it? Was he already talking to KDEN when the engine failed?

He's been identified in the media already, so I have no issues telling you that the pilot was a career LEO in Aurora who transitioned into aviation, and became one of their checkairman, as well as Director of Safety. Flew all the pistons, right seat in the DoJet, and recently checked out in the Metro as well.

He was always a guy I liked seeing on the ramp because he had a great sense of humor and was willing to tell it like it was. Never try and play dumb with the guy because he'd call you out for it.

He also handed me my one and only pink slip, which at the time was richly deserved on my part.

One can easily go back and look at my posts and see that Key Lime and I did not part on good terms, but DS was not one of the reasons why. Really good guy who I enjoyed working with who will be greatly missed. I'm really glad I didn't have to be on that ramp this AM, nor this evening.

The 404 had 375hp per side. I would think it would do fine empty on one engine but take a good foot to keep straight. Sounds like he knew what he was doing. Thoughts and prayers.

I am very sad to hear about this. I was in GJT tonight, watching a Key Lime freight guy load up and thought about this accident. I can't imagine how those guys feel, being such a small pilot group and all. RIP...

As a former amf-er, I sincerely feel for him, his family, and his work-family.
RIP. And may peace be found by those close to him.
Tailwinds

Back