KA200 Job Offer

The only place we differ is that I seem to be the only one who is cognizant of his actions.

I'm positive if you look at your career path thus far, you can find something (a lot of things I'm sure) that you did that had a negative impact on someone else.

Did you pay for your initial training? Ask some legacy capt who was taken by a legacy with just a private pilot license. To him, you are demeaning the industry and undercutting him by paying for it yourself.

You were a flight instructor. Did you work as an employee with health, life, dental, and get paid 50K per year? If not, ask some of the few flight instructors that work at some of the larger foreign schools or even some of the nice FBOs who treat their CFIs right, and see if he feels you undercut him.

I'm sure if we looked at your career past in detail, we could find many more examples.

Paying for your 737 type for southwest, or working for 35K your first year and without health benefits for continental, paying for your initial training, time building, accepting a job for less than SOME other pilot would accept it for (ahem..freight dogging?)....

You and just about everyone else has done this in some way or another. But for some reason, someone elses way of doing it is wrong, and yours is right.

Unless you were trained by a air carrier from 0 to hero, you do not have a leg to stand on. Drawing the line right after where you see yourself as stopping (be that PFT, sitting right seat for free, or whatever) and calling anyone who crosses your line a bad person in the industry, is complete Hippocracy.

Can you not see that? Can you not see that to someone who did it better than you, YOU are the one who is undermining the industry and driving down the career.

I'm not saying I like it, I'm just being a scientist about this. Try and remove yourself from the industry when you look at it. Dont view it through your lens, but as though you were an outsider looking in.

Can you find someone that you have undercut, someone that got his ratings paid for by uncle sam? Someone that was lucky enough to go straight to a GV and skip the phase of working long hours, sleeping split shifts, and making peanuts for all that hard work?

Now can you imagine that he might feel as though you flying for your company, making what you do, working your hours, that perhaps...you have undercut him? That perhaps he feels as though you have pushed down the status quo? He might say that you shouldnt have taken that AMF job, because that position should pay more, or have more benefits, or more qol, or whatever. Your path was lesser than his, in his mind, in reference to the line that he drew.

Yet somehow, people feel as though they can judge, just because someone did a little more than they did, or did it a little differently, while trying to build their career to get to that dream job.

It goes both ways man.

There is nothing in my past that I would need to defend to most of you, but I don't get on my high horse if someone decides what is best for his/her and their family is to buy a type, time build, or sit right seat for free in a CJ1.

I would like to think if that were to happen (you undercut me and take my job) that even though I would be mad, I would realize it isn't your fault that I lost my job, that you are just working it the best you can for your career, and I would be happy to have a dinner with you before I left on my last day of work, and the first day of your new job.

Really? If I came and told your boss I'd do your job for free you'd take me to dinner?

Free dinner here I come.

Now, I shall abdicate from this battle; I am out of this thread. However, I will stand by comments I've made numerous other times on this subject: you're only paid as much as you're worth. If you're willing to work for free, well....

Good night.

Really? If I came and told your boss I'd do your job for free you'd take me to dinner?

Free dinner here I come.

Now, I shall abdicate from this battle; I am out of this thread. However, I will stand by comments I've made numerous other times on this subject: you're only paid as much as you're worth. If you're willing to work for free, well....

Good night.

My answer? Yes, I'd take you to dinner. A few assumptions however are made.

1. You're so poor, you can't feed yourself; or you're filthy rich, and you simply enjoy flying as a hobby and not as an occupation. Either way, I'll learn something from you over a Big Mac and Fries. :D

2. There is that cliche' - you get what you pay for. True in some situations but not for all. It's definitely not a given. Ask those who fly a 747 are they better pilots than those who fly C5s. As you said, you're paid what you're worth, right? Are you going to compare those two? I think not.

3. You're paid as much as you can negotiate. It's the best truism on this thread; you care to contradict that? Probably not.

. . .now, step over to the "what to charge" thread. . .and justify what you believe you're worth and what you can negotiate. ;)

Free dinner here I come.

Good night.

That offer of a dinner was for KLB, someone that I know. But if you did manage to get hired over here for less, that is your prerogative, and it if affected me then so be it. That is the reality of this world.

The point is to not be a hippocrate. You, and the great majority of every other pro pilot has done what someone in a better position would argue is undercutting or demeaning the profession. So stop passing judgment.

Free dinner here I come.

:yup::yup: I know his Boss, you wouldn't get very far, but he'd play along:D Heck I might have to drive down and watch.... Hard to turn down a free dinner though.

Back