Just Started

SatelliteBeachPilot

I'm in Daytona and so far everything has been great. I am my instructor's only student and will be flying the Seminole today for the first time. Already took my instrument writtens and hopefully will be ready for my checkride in the Seminole on Friday or Saturday.

I will try and keep an update going.

I'm in Daytona and so far everything has been great. I am my instructor's only student and will be flying the Seminole today for the first time. Already took my instrument writtens and hopefully will be ready for my checkride in the Seminole on Friday or Saturday.

I will try and keep an update going.

ONLY student? Thus I am assuming enrollment is down. This rarely happens. Do you have Devon or Dave as your instructor?

ONLY student? Thus I am assuming enrollment is down. This rarely happens. Do you have Devon or Dave as your instructor?
number of instructors quitting/going to airlines is also down. for the first time in richmond, some of the instructors have less than 4 students.

So I after week one here it goes:

Monday, spent all day on the ground and in the sim.

Tuesday, flew the Seminole in the morning, ground, sim, Seminole in the afternoon.

Wednesday, flew the Seminole in the morning, ground/sim afternoon.

Thursday, flew the Seminole in the morning, sim for the entire afternoon.

Friday, touched up with some ground and more sim time.

Saturday: PASSED MY MULTI ENGINE CHECK RIDE WITH NO PROBLEMS.

I am flying down south to Naples in the Seminole in the morning and back. Have to start getting my 20 hours of sim time in this week for the instrument stuff. Feeling pretty good since I moved so quickly through the multi, only 6 days including my checkride.

If you decide to go to ATP, STUDY the Seminole supplement BEFORE you get here. If time is an issue, make sure you know the SEMINOLE before you take the time to study for the instrument written exam. I will try and keep an update going, so far it has been better then expected.

All is going good, I have my checkride for my instrument a week from Saturday. On schedule even with all the bad wx keeping us on the ground and making us reschedule flights consistenly. Can't wait to get this instrument over with and move on to my xc phase then cfi school.

Can't wait to get this instrument over with and move on to my xc phase then cfi school.

Congrats on the multi, great job. Do yourself a favor tho, slow down just a little bit and actually ENJOY your instrument training. It is probably one of the most fun and most important ratings you will get. Absorb all you can and enjoy the ride....Good luck

What is your usual time schedule like 8AM-4PM.

Ill be starting my PPL so it may be a little different but I would think the time should be close to the same. My wife and I are trying to work out our schedules for when I start.

When I did a walkthrough at DAB they discussed the buddy training system that ATP uses to keep two students on the same pace with one instructor. How does that work if we fly seven days a week one schedule for morning and one in afternoon?

Enjoy the Xcountry portion. That's what made ATP worth it. You can't get any better experience then that, now that I'm at the airlines, it's kind of scary how similar it was with what we were doing on the Seminole, as far as procedures and routes.

We had a 2008 Seminole but Jax made us bring it back, they said they needed it to put on display at a show, I guess none of the other 08' models they already have could do the trick? They gave us a 2000 model that fly's great though.

Kalikano, to answer your question... if you expect 8-4 days Monday thru Friday, you are in for a surprise. My days this week have all started at 5:30-6:00 am and gone through the late afternoon (and that's with cancelling afternoon flights). Just make sure you use your time wisely and don't sit around and do nothing just because the WX is keeping you on the ground. This past Saturday I flew from 5am-8am, then flew the sim from 8-12, had a nap, then flew from KDAB up to Jax, Valdosta, Dothan and back. I had a blast but was dead and took Sunday off to relax.

I am looking forward to the XC phase BIG TIME but right now I am just focused on this instrument check ride and taking care of one thing at a time. (I am also looking frwd to not being under an airplane expecting landing gear every morning at 5:45 am)

For those interested in coming to ATP, just make sure you are fully committed to taking your ratings further. Flying is something I absolutely love, everytime I get done flying I am grinning ear to ear. I see too many people here who really don't have the passion and look at their time here as a burden. People complain about having to make a 3 hour flight and back, Complain!! The only thing I complain about is that 3 hour flight isn't 4 hours when we have 5 hours of fuel on board. If you love flying do it, if you have any doubt, don't even think about it.

I figured it would be a crazy schedule but one can hope for an easy one like 8-4.

My name is Franklin and you will probably see me around DAB in August. I start my PPL Aug 4th.

Update:

Passed my instrument check ride on the first attempt Saturday!

Went very well and was far more prepared than I thought I was. A few of us sat on Friday with our instructors and busted out everything that could be covered on the oral exam. That's when I realized I knew a lot more than I thought I did.

Everything at ATP has been better than I anticipated, I am now 15 days ahead of my 90 day program and had the last couple days to come home and frame two bedrooms for my brother on his new house.

All you have to do to get through this program is do YOUR part and be flexible, especially with summer time Florida weather. Now that I've caught my breathe I will be doing the XC's and studying for my commercial rating. Can't wait!

Update:

Passed my instrument check ride on the first attempt Saturday!

Went very well and was far more prepared than I thought I was. A few of us sat on Friday with our instructors and busted out everything that could be covered on the oral exam. That's when I realized I knew a lot more than I thought I did.

Everything at ATP has been better than I anticipated, I am now 15 days ahead of my 90 day program and had the last couple days to come home and frame two bedrooms for my brother on his new house.

All you have to do to get through this program is do YOUR part and be flexible, especially with summer time Florida weather. Now that I've caught my breathe I will be doing the XC's and studying for my commercial rating. Can't wait!

Lets answer the question already... WHO IS YOUR INSTRUCTOR and who did your Checkride!?? Alright I know its a complicated question but I've asked before and am asking again..... thanks :)

Jesus, I never saw your last post there Meyers, don't get so stressed buddy!

Devon doesn't instruct here anymore, I'm not sure what happened there. Nick was my instructor for my multi and instrument. I was his first student for multi and instrument but he did an awesome job, knows his stuff really well. I enjoyed flying with him.

Jesus, I never saw your last post there Meyers, don't get so stressed buddy!

Devon doesn't instruct here anymore, I'm not sure what happened there. Nick was my instructor for my multi and instrument. I was his first student for multi and instrument but he did an awesome job, knows his stuff really well. I enjoyed flying with him.

haha so who did your checkride? Pete, Raskey, Clegg? hahaha :) one part answered other left undone.... :)

Good Ol' Raskey. He knows how to put the stress on you for sure. I am going to try and use him for all of my checkrides if I can.

eh Raskey is all bark and no bite..... very fair and just take what he says with a grain of salt... 20 min oral and done and the ride is what you make of it. Cannot allow yourself to let him get to you. In the end he's fair and its all you can ask.

Back