Judge allows class action suit against Delta, Air Tran to proceed

What boggles my mind, is people are so up in arms about air travel, that they are suing for a product that they agreed to before they purchased the service, and the government is getting involved, yet there isn't so much as a whimper as to how much money fuel companies are making.

What boggles my mind, is people are so up in arms about air travel, that they are suing for a product that they agreed to before they purchased the service, and the government is getting involved, yet there isn't so much as a whimper as to how much money fuel companies are making.

These usually work by a large law firm figuring out where a large group (the "class") was wronged. They work on contingency and often take an excessively large percentage of the awards. The "people" generally aren't up in arms and usually agree to whatever settlement comes their way.

Well it is strange that literally every airline in the U.S. now charges the exact same $ for checked bags.

So it might not be outright collusion, but there is no "choice" left in the market, except the choice to pay a higher airfare for a free checked bag.
I think Alaska charges bag fees sometimes... for something(oversize?), but I know I've never paid one, up to 3 free on every flight I've been on with them.

I think Alaska charges bag fees sometimes... for something(oversize?), but I know I've never paid one, up to 3 free on every flight I've been on with them.
You get three free bags within Alaska. If you are a Club 49 member you get one free bag to and from Alaska.

Nothing "new" about this......

This suit doesn't surprise me; I figured it would happen much sooner. Read that the airlines made $1.8 Billion....that's with a "B" in baggage and ticket change charges the first quarter of this year.

Good!

Businesses are in business to make money.

I wish they made a trillion on bag fees and various ticket charges.

Good!

Yeah but, IMO, there is a down side.
When they started charging a "bag" fee passengers stopped using the convenience (and yes, that's all it is) of checking a bag. So now, you have EVERYONE trying to carry on roller bags, which delays the boarding process and causes havoc with unloading, and makes connecting and staying on a schedule more difficult. This is especially a problem because the airlines have fallen into a "we don't want to offend anyone because of social media" policy that prevents them from stopping the idiot with the refrigerator box he calls "carry on" from trying to board the plane. OR the person with 4-5 different bag (none of which fit in the mock up next to the gate). AND this policy increased the number of bags going through the TSA checkpoints; which delays that screening process for EVERYONE, reduces the overall security of the flights, and adds to the frustration of crews, passengers, and airport employees.

Also, when they started charging a "bag"fee it was under the illusion that the increasing cost of fuel was the culprit. Passengers paid without question because everyone was suffering the same fuel cost at the pump. Now, with fuel prices at a low its not seen in a long time, that airlines justification has long expired. THIS suit is more about the collusion in fixing the amount and not about the charge itself.

The more sensible approach would have been to add $15-25 to every ticket cost and let you check a bag for free. Passengers wouldn't see the cost as a gouge and the carry-on bags would have not increased to such a maddening level.

The more sensible approach would have been to add $15-25 to every ticket cost and let you check a bag for free. Passengers wouldn't see the cost as a gouge and the carry-on bags would have not increased to such a maddening level.

The last figure I saw was that checked luggage costs the airlines less than $3 a bag.

Good!

The change fees can be a scam too "Your flight is delayed, but you can pay a change fee to get on an earlier one. $100. Thanks for your money. Oh, BTW, that flight is cancelled. Would you like to pay $100 to get back on your original flight?". Yes, that happened to me.

The baggage fees are only slightly more transparent than the resort fees at a Las Vegas hotel. I would be fine with them going away.

The one time that I checked a bag this year, I had inquired in advance that my checked bag was included with my ticket. It was. Then the flight schedule was changed to a codeshare partner, who then charged me for the bag anyway.

I think you should leave the managing to Richard Anderson. He seems to be doing a pretty good job of it.
I guess this lawsuit will settle this one as well. There are SOME guys that exemplify why the name "Richard" has the nickname it does......:)

Yeah but, IMO, there is a down side.
When they started charging a "bag" fee passengers stopped using the convenience (and yes, that's all it is) of checking a bag. So now, you have EVERYONE trying to carry on roller bags, which delays the boarding process and causes havoc with unloading, and makes connecting and staying on a schedule more difficult. This is especially a problem because the airlines have fallen into a "we don't want to offend anyone because of social media" policy that prevents them from stopping the idiot with the refrigerator box he calls "carry on" from trying to board the plane. OR the person with 4-5 different bag (none of which fit in the mock up next to the gate). AND this policy increased the number of bags going through the TSA checkpoints; which delays that screening process for EVERYONE, reduces the overall security of the flights, and adds to the frustration of crews, passengers, and airport employees.

Also, when they started charging a "bag"fee it was under the illusion that the increasing cost of fuel was the culprit. Passengers paid without question because everyone was suffering the same fuel cost at the pump. Now, with fuel prices at a low its not seen in a long time, that airlines justification has long expired. THIS suit is more about the collusion in fixing the amount and not about the charge itself.

Being charged for something by a business is called......wait for it.....doing business. Don't like the product, find another business.

Being charged for something by a business is called......wait for it.....doing business. Don't like the product, find another business.
Oh man, that's so funny!! In a perfect world where the businesses are in competition with each other, I would agree with you on this in principle.

However, in the case of the airline industry, it's not as though I can just take my business somewhere else because there is NO place else. Hence this case concerning collusion.

dustoff17 said:
Oh man, that's so funny!! In a perfect world where the businesses are in competition with each other, I would agree with you on this in principle. However, in the case of the airline industry, it's not as though I can just take my business somewhere else because there is NO place else. Hence this case concerning collusion.

Um, I'm not sure what country you live in, but here in America, we've got lots of airlines competing with each other.

Um, I'm not sure what country you live in, but here in America, we've got lots of airlines competing with each other.

The notion that air travel is anything like a "free market" is so fanciful that even you can't possibly harbor it.

Incidentally, you know if the law suit succeeds, Southwest will be getting a good screwing. Are you SURE you're against it?

Boris Badenov said:
The notion that air travel is anything like a "free market" is so fanciful that even you can't possibly harbor it.

The air travel market is TOO free in America, in fact.

Incidentally, you know if the law suit succeeds, Southwest will be getting a good screwing. Are you SURE you're against it?

Yes, I had considered that. But no reason to take down Delta along with the corn dogs. :)

Besides, I spent enough time hanging around the AirTran execs that I know this is completely absurd. I love a good lawsuit, but frivolous ones piss me off.

That's a good thing.

If that $5 footlong from Subway is actually $4.50 worth of ingredients, labor, rent, depreciation, insurance, and cash reserve, I would fire the CEO.

I think it is the only way to get people to eat their tasteless, food appearing substances.

Back