Judge allows class action suit against Delta, Air Tran to proceed

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
It's a lawsuit that now includes every passenger who's ever paid to check their first bag on a Delta or Air Tran flight.
This week, a federal judge gave lawyers the green light to bring their arguments to trial.
The two airlines enacted matching baggage fee policies in December 2008, and anyone who checked at least one bag with them since then will be getting an invitation to join a class action lawsuit.
Assuming Delta doesn't appeal, a claims administrator will start counting the tens of millions of people affected and start contacting them one by one.

Story Here: http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2015/08/judge-allows-class-action-suit-against.html

You can sue for anything.

I'd like to spark a class action lawsuit against the restaurant industry for charging for cheese on cheeseburgers. I mean lettuce, tomato, pickle and other condiments are gratis, but cheese? Come on, America. COME ON! :)

Ridiculous. If you don't want to pay a bag fee, fly a different airline, or don't bring a suitcase that measures 48x40.
Well, see, that competitive choice is kinda the point here. According to the story, the basis of this case is anti-competitive practices, to wit, collusion. When an adequate regulatory structure is lacking, the only redress left is a legal appeal... as inefficient as that process is. There is no civilized competition without toothy oversight.

Or re-regulate. If the general public really wants that level of control over non-safety related items, put their big boy (and girl) pants on, re-regulate and pay the price.

I'm sorry Mrs. McButters, I'm not working for free so you can get to Disneyworld "cheaply".

Or re-regulate. If the general public really wants that level of control over non-safety related items, put their big boy (and girl) pants on, re-regulate and pay the price.

I'm sorry Mrs. McButters, I'm not working for free so you can get to Disneyworld "cheaply".

Yes. You can't have it both ways. I find it hard to believe that AirTran and Delta were in cahoots.

Well it is strange that literally every airline in the U.S. now charges the exact same $ for checked bags.

So it might not be outright collusion, but there is no "choice" left in the market, except the choice to pay a higher airfare for a free checked bag.

Well it is strange that literally every airline in the U.S. now charges the exact same $ for checked bags.

So it might not be outright collusion, but there is no "choice" left in the market, except the choice to pay a higher airfare for a free checked bag.

Yeah. SWA fly's bags free. Spirit charges for overhead bin space(IIRC).

Well, see, that competitive choice is kinda the point here. According to the story, the basis of this case is anti-competitive practices, to wit, collusion. When an adequate regulatory structure is lacking, the only redress left is a legal appeal... as inefficient as that process is. There is no civilized competition without toothy oversight.

Matching a competitor's pricing or business practices is not collusion. It's the normal course of conducting business when the market will bear the pricing or practice. There is zero evidence of collusion between Delta and AirTran. In fact, the very suggestion of it is comical.

You aren't guaranteed choice. You're simply guaranteed that companies will not collude. If one company raises its prices and all of its competitors match those prices because they believe the market will bear the higher price, then no collusion has taken place. Collusion only takes place if there was a coordinated and premeditated effort to raise pricing together.

Kinda how DPE's in any city all raise their checkride rates at the same time, and if someone starts offering them for less it becomes a problem.

Suing people, it's the new American Way
Nothing "new" about this......

This suit doesn't surprise me; I figured it would happen much sooner. Read that the airlines made $1.8 Billion....that's with a "B" in baggage and ticket change charges the first quarter of this year.

Back