Joe Bidden says dont fly on the airlines!

SIUav8er

Narcosis
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2009/04/biden_says_he_wouldnt_fly_righ.html

This is JUST what the airlines need right now...

The Air Transport Association of America chief calls Biden's comments "extremely disappointing":

"Vice President Biden's comment that people should avoid air travel in response to the H1N1 flu outbreak was extremely disappointing," ATA President and CEO James May says in a statement e-mailed to reporters. "The airlines have been working daily with government agencies, none of whom suggest people avoid air travel, unless they are not feeling well. The fact is that the air onboard a commercial aircraft is cleaner than that in most public buildings."

Come on. Everyone knows the VP job, as Calvin Coolidge said, "Isn't worth a warm bucket of spit."

Huh?

190707Dick.jpg

Im flying on one next Thursday. Ill be the guy in the yellow hazmat suit getting haggled by TSA at LAS.

What isn't accurate about Bidden's comment? It is pretty hard to deny that mass transportation is an excellent place to share a virus. During an epidemic or pandemic, if given the choice, I would stay away from germ tubes.

What isn't accurate about Bidden's comment? It is pretty hard to deny that mass transportation is an excellent place to share a virus. During an epidemic or pandemic, if given the choice, I would stay away from germ tubes.

I think because at this stage in the game they don't want to spread fear and panic. They must balance the health and recovery of the economy with this virus.

I agree that his advice is sound, but right now is not warranted.

I agree to a certain degree. But why leave it at not flying? Why not tell everyone to stay in their houses? THAT is the only way to stay completely safe right now.

Personally, I am not convinced of the perceived threat that the swine flu poses. Ive heard that the "regular" fly kills 35,000 people annually. The swine flu has killed, what, 140 so far? Obviously not something to take lightly, but i am not convinced that telling people they should avoid all forms of public transportation will solve the problem.

Biden has a long history of his mouth outrunning his brain, and it's one of the things I was concerned with. They had to rein him in on the campaign trail to keep him from shooting Obama in the foot.

I agree that, yes, confined spaces do tend to spread germs, bacteria and viruses faster. But I do have to agree he was on the verge of fear mongering. He shoulda tacked on "I'm telling my family not to ride the city bus," but I doubt his family's ever even been ON a city bus.....

I agree to a certain degree. But why leave it at not flying? Why not tell everyone to stay in their houses? THAT is the only way to stay completely safe right now.

For most people a normal day does not expose them to the germ sharing that sitting sealed up in a 737 for a couple of hours. I agree with Bidden, if given the choice I would stay away from mass transit, and I feel the same way every flu season.

Airplanes, trains, & buses = germ tubes.

Obviously not something to take lightly, but i am not convinced that telling people they should avoid all forms of public transportation will solve the problem.

Bidden was simply asked what he would tell his family and he gave an honest answer. It wasn't an instruction to the masses.

For most people a normal day does not expose them to the germ sharing that sitting sealed up in a 737 for a couple of hours. I agree with Bidden, if given the choice I would stay away from mass transit, and I feel the same way every flu season.

Airplanes, trains, & buses = germ tubes.

Ironic that the very people that take a lot of those buses can't afford to stay home sick.....

Ironic that the very people that take a lot of those buses can't afford to stay home sick.....

exactly... although Biden himself supposedly rides a train from his house in NJ to work in DC. At least that was one of the things I head during the campaign. i wonder if he is still riding that swine flu infested public train?

Bidden was simply asked what he would tell his family and he gave an honest answer. It wasn't an instruction to the masses.

Like was just mentioned, Joe tends to forget he's in public office sometimes. When someone at a level of government says something along the lines of what Joe said on a national television show, you can bet your petunias it's gonna turn into "VP says airlines unsafe." Once again, his mouth outran his brain.

When you're the VP and on a national news show, talking about a possible flu pandemic, it is instruction to the masses.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Like was just mentioned, Joe tends to forget he's in public office sometimes. When someone at a level of government says something along the lines of what Joe said on a national television show, you can bet your petunias it's gonna turn into "VP says airlines unsafe." Once again, his mouth outran his brain.

The President will probably send him back to his undisclosed location for awhile.:D

When you're the VP and on a national news show, talking about a possible flu pandemic, it is instruction to the masses.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I disagree. He was asked about what he would recommend to his own family and he responded honestly. I greatly prefer that to telling a lie.

Back