Jobs in China

pilot4500

IT Architect/ Former Cirrus Charter Pilot
I was wondering who the companies are that usually hire foreign pilots in China? I have 5,800 hours total and 1,300 hours multi time, and I can't find any job in the US. That includes aviation and non-aviation jobs. Flying for the regionals really dosn't interest me as I make more money drawing unemployment. I heard that some of the jobs in China pay decent salary and I was curious if anyone had information about it.

I was wondering who the companies are that usually hire foreign pilots in China? I have 5,800 hours total and 1,300 hours multi time, and I can't find any job in the US. That includes aviation and non-aviation jobs. Flying for the regionals really dosn't interest me as I make more money drawing unemployment. I heard that some of the jobs in China pay decent salary and I was curious if anyone had information about it.

Flying is not all about how much money you make, if that`s what you love to do and you can manage to float on the regional salary why not doing it? If you need a bigger income to pay bills then that`s different a story...

I got an interview last year with Air Macau, you need ATP with A320 rating, no time in type, no jet exp. Great company, good pay, I don't know if they still hire but keep them in mind.

Your flight time is pretty good to go to China, but you need a type rating and probably time in type. Air Macau has a bit of a reputation for not being the best employer, but the will take you without time in type, and its a foot in the door. But again, it doesn't matter how many thousands of hours you have, they won't pay to type you.

Also, do some research on the Chinese medical, it takes a few days and involves a very strict vision test, psycological exam, etc. etc. so make sure you don't have any issues before you take it and it has to be done in China. There are stories of people unfortunate enough to get the type, go over, interview, get hired, and fail the medical (all on they're own dime).

Your best bet is to contact a company like RISHWORTH, PARC, or VOR HOLDINGS. They write contracts for foreign pilots in China (and elsewhere) and will go to bat for you to get you the best deal. They make they're money of course, but this is how most people go about going "over there". From what I hear PARC is the best of the three.

www.parcaviation.aero

Good Luck.

Thank you all for the replies. I will do some research on those companies as well as on getting a Chinese medical. I am nearsighted but my vision is currently corrected to 20/20. I am not sure if that will be an issue.
Swisspilot: I love to fly but not enough to do it for a regional salary and regional lifestyle. I can make the same money working at McDonalds and have a better quality of life. I am not trying to sound bitter, but I just don't think that I could get myself to work for such low wages. I would probably leave the industry before I worked for a regional.

Thank you all for the replies. I will do some research on those companies as well as on getting a Chinese medical. I am nearsighted but my vision is currently corrected to 20/20. I am not sure if that will be an issue.
Swisspilot: I love to fly but not enough to do it for a regional salary and regional lifestyle. I can make the same money working at McDonalds and have a better quality of life. I am not trying to sound bitter, but I just don't think that I could get myself to work for such low wages. I would probably leave the industry before I worked for a regional.

Go to one of the better regionals and the pay won't be that bad (minus the first year). Your total time is high, but it must not be much jet/turbo prop time. You need to get into those kinds of airplanes so other outfits will hire you.

Good luck

He's right, there are some "better" regionals worth waiting for like Compass. Also, Air Macau is an exception. Because of the high volume of experienced and type rated pilots on almost everything these days almost every employer wants about 500 in type or six months experience on the line somewhere... so be careful buying a type for one specific company or job.

There are some great paying jobs in China. All will require type rating and PIC time though. I work at Shenzhen Airlines and went through WASINC. Shenzhen is a great airline and WASINC is the largest leasing company in China.

You make 40K-50K on unemployment?

I am currently flying in China and recently took the medical exam as well as the Chinese written exams. PM me if you want some more info.

popaviator. I've been out of the industry for 9 years but looking to get back in.
TT 3,500
CRJ SIC 1,500
Was considering the China route but need some guidance. Companies to apply with, whose hiring, what testing is required, who pays for what etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
thx

I am currently flying in China and recently took the medical exam as well as the Chinese written exams

Can you reveal, in general terms, what type of flying you're doing, how long you've been doing it and what quals you had when you first went there ? Might be informative for people looking at China as a possibility to see how someone else did it.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm an experienced Aircraft dispatcher and would like to know if you ever hear of any expat dispatchers being hired in Asian or other regions? I've worked in South Korea and traveled throughout the region. Just looking for some insight, Very best.

popaviator. I've been out of the industry for 9 years but looking to get back in.
TT 3,500
CRJ SIC 1,500
Was considering the China route but need some guidance. Companies to apply with, whose hiring, what testing is required, who pays for what etc.
thx
Hey
I
TT 3,500
CRJ SIC 1,500
thx

I'm in similar situation
Let me know how you fair with getting there
I got 4500 total , 2300 jet and 1500 in CRJ and have been out of it for about 9 years
I was considering corporate route but I like idea of flying my but off for 6 or 8 weeks and than having 2-3 weeks off

Trust me when I tell you that 6-8 weeks on then 2-3 weeks off is a horrible schedule. The only long term commutable jobs are 19 days on - 11 days off, month on - month off, or something similar. Even one month - one month off can get tiring after awhile. To constantly go out for 6 weeks or more would be really bad for any kind of personal life.

oh, and Qatar Airways would hire someone with your times, but you'd need to get current first (as in actually flying an airplane, not just simulator) Forget China unless you have 500+ PIC in a type they operate.

Typhoonpilot

Back