JetBlue unprofessionalism on display

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptBill

Landed in EWR tonight from LAX. I was 3.5 miles behind JetBlue and cleared to land 22L. After touching down JetBlue slowed and literally taxied to the end of the runway. Tower was yelling at JB to clear to no avail. At 30 feet above the runway tower called us to go-around and as we overflew the runway JetBlue had still not cleared. Very unprofessional folks!!! The second time around we were the exact distance behind an American MD-80 and he cleared and was holding short of 22R well before we touched down. This little adventure cost us 30 minutes and 2500 pounds of fuel, to say nothing of the potential exposure to risk.

Fast forward to the layover hotel. I ended up in the elevator with another JetBlue crew and when asked how it was going I commented on the unprofessionalism of one of their JB crews. The FO quickly shot back " Well, you guys screw us every chance you get so payback is a bitch".

I remarked in my roundtable comments about developing and maintaining professionalism. This is just one glaring example of where we never want to feel comfortable being. Very sad.....:(:banghead:

Maybe going slow is a JetBlue thing. We are always forced to slow behind them on final going into IAD, they also taxi extremely slow. Im not the only one to notice it either, a few of the captains I have flown with say the same thing.

"Landed in EWR tonight from LAX. I was 3.5 miles behind JetBlue and cleared to land 22L"

Personally, I see anything less than 5 miles and I'm ready for a go around. You never know...

"Fast forward to the layover hotel. I ended up in the elevator with another JetBlue crew and when asked how it was going I commented on the unprofessionalism of one of their JB crews."

And you expected what? You make a comment like that in an elevator and what sort of response are you hoping for? Honestly, what would you say in their shoes?

"I remarked in my roundtable comments about developing and maintaining professionalism. This is just one glaring example of where we never want to feel comfortable being. Very sad..."

I see this post as you bashing a Jetblue crew who had no chance to tell their side of the story and an elevator encounter that's in the same boat. Sometimes crap just happens out there is the real world. You might want to cut your fellow professional aviators a little slack here at Jetcareers, lest this become a Jetblue bashing thread. I think that would be way out of line. And quite unprofessional...

Heck, I think the title of your thread is unprofessional enough.

OK, I will be honest. When I read the title of this thread, I was somewhat turned off. However, I have experienced this EXACT same thing myself in IAD. 11,500 foot runway, and JetBlue rolled out to the end. I was livid. It's their runway, but it was VERY obvious they had an alterior motive. In response to Don, this time we were on *approximately* SIX mile final when they were rolling out. We still had to go-around.

I know some JetBlue pilots, and many of them are outstanding individuals. However, that experience really left me with a very distasteful opinion of the company. Hearing that this happened a second time, and hearing the comments in the Holiday Inn North (right?) elevator, it doesn't just seem like a rare occurance.

Absoluely ridiculous. The title fits perfectly.

Personally, I see anything less than 5 miles and I'm ready for a go around. You never know...

I was based at MDW for my first year in the airlines. So anything less than 2 miles and I'm ready for a go-around. Anything over 2 miles I'll take a sip of coffee and wonder what I'll be having for dinner. ;) :sarcasm:

Hmm, any perspective I try to imagine this in you end up looking more unprofessional than they do...

we all make mistakes I guess.

You got paid right? So I don't see what the problem is. If your talking smack to one of my friends, I'm not going to let it slide. So you were basically asking for it.

" Well, you guys screw us every chance you get so payback is a bitch".

What might he have been talking about here? Have a lot of CAL pilots been denying jumpseats to JetBlue pilots? I'm neutral ether way but just curious.

Fast forward to the layover hotel. I ended up in the elevator with another JetBlue crew and when asked how it was going I commented on the unprofessionalism of one of their JB crews. The FO quickly shot back " Well, you guys screw us every chance you get so payback is a bitch".

Not to start a completely separate argument here, but I have to wonder.

When JetBlue pilots volunteered to fly transcon turns without a relief pilot but more than 8 hours of block time, how was that not screwing CAL pilots and also tens of thousands of other pilots in the entire industry? If that had resulted in a change of the 8 block hours rule, they'd have screwed a LOT of other pilots.

And, by flying the A-320 at lower wages than had ever been paid for that aircraft before, how were they not screwing UAL, CAL, DAL, AAL, NWA, and other pilot groups that had their A-320/B-737 payscales compared to the competition's (jetBlue), thus leading to a paycut? Seems like they screwed over the industry there too.

I do not intend to pick on jetBlue at all.

Hopefully the crew on the runway was dealing with some kind of abnormality and just didn't tell that to tower. And hopefully the pilot in the elevator was a bad apple and the other pilot talked to them about their childish retort later on.

But it does become quite obvious that jetBlue pilots have done their share of screwing other pilot groups and they are no less guilty than the rest.

You got paid right? So I don't see what the problem is.

The problem is that many of us truly care about the success of our company in grandiose terms, as opposed to caring about our own personal gain. Yes, a go-around may gain me personally an extra 15 dollars, but what does it cost my company as a whole? The extra fuel, the interruption to the US airspace system, and the delay to the customers in the back of the airplane? All of those are things that professional pilots consider, not just our own paychecks twice a month.

Landed in EWR tonight from LAX. I was 3.5 miles behind JetBlue and cleared to land 22L. After touching down JetBlue slowed and literally taxied to the end of the runway. Tower was yelling at JB to clear to no avail. At 30 feet above the runway tower called us to go-around and as we overflew the runway JetBlue had still not cleared. Very unprofessional folks!!!

This is a recurring problem with these guys. I was a split second from going around in RSW last week because of JetBlue's crawling speed down the runway while tower was screaming at them to off the runway. The next day I watched a legacy carrier go around at the same airport because of a JetBlue flight doing the same thing.

You must be too used to flying in the middle of the night instead of during push times. In ATL, anything more than 3 miles is unusual. In MSP, 2 miles isn't unusual at all. Five miles is ridiculous.

"Fast forward to the layover hotel. I ended up in the elevator with another JetBlue crew and when asked how it was going I commented on the unprofessionalism of one of their JB crews."

And you expected what? You make a comment like that in an elevator and what sort of response are you hoping for? Honestly, what would you say in their shoes?

I would apologize for the unprofessional actions of my fellow crew members. Of course, I've never seen my fellow Tran pilots engaging in such behavior, so I've never had to worry about it.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the go-around wiped out any profit the flight may have made on its own.

Tough to really call a single flight profitable or unprofitable when so many passengers might be connecting to points onward but the point is, gas isn't cheap and vectors back to final at a place like Newark aren't quick.

That JetBlue flight should have a very good reason for needing to roll to the end of 22L at rush hour. They fly into EWR enough to know better than to do that without a good reason.

That JetBlue flight should have a very good reason for needing to roll to the end of 22L at rush hour. They fly into EWR enough to know better than to do that without a good reason.

This is an actual (word by word) quote from SAN ATC after we landed one night and made the first turnoff: "If you guys could always do that, we could really move some traffic here!" This is from a controller that puts airplanes 2.5 miles entrail and LAUNCHES departures in between. Impressive!

That's what I loved about branded. We'd SAFELY move airplanes from A to B, AND help out as much as we could. We never took chances or jeopardized safety. We just flew planes the way they were meant to be flown. I've done plenty of go-arounds. But the ones that really bother me are when pilots purposefully mess up the National Airspace System for their "apparent" gain.

We all need to realize how our apparently "small" decisons can snowball into something extremely large down the road.

I thought this thread was going to be about inappropriate FA pictures. I'm disappointed to say the least. :D

My family flies JetBlue a lot, most of the time actually, and I have noticed that they always seem to taxi to the end of the runway and they move very slow on taxiways. I find this kinda funny cause JetBlue is apparently all about moving things faster. Maybe they do that because they need more time to "prep for the next flight while the previous one is still in the air" or whatever they it is that they do.

Fast forward to the layover hotel. I ended up in the elevator with another JetBlue crew and when asked how it was going I commented on the unprofessionalism of one of their JB crews.

Good for you! More people need to confront these scab scumbags. Personally, I think you held back more than I would have said!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back