JetBlue unprofessionalism on display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they have a secret strategy to make other airlines go around on purpose thus hurting their bottom line.;)

Funny story that my old man told me, as told to him by the FO that was involved.
Back when there was a big hullabaloo about user fees, GA vs the airlines etc. one of the ACPs was riding along on a corporate jet flown by friend into a large predominately airline airport. The airplane in front of him belonged to the airline he was an ACP for. Well said airliner took a very loooooooong time to clear the runway passing more than one highspeed turnoff at taxi speed, including some remarks about GA said to tower while being told to get off the runway. Said biz jet had to go around. Said ACP had a very long discussion with the CA of the airliner (it was the CAs landing).

While I'm not a pilot for B6, I think it might have something to do with the fact that we do not use reverse thrusters on landing and probably utilize the entire runway to save the wear and tear on the brakes. That is just my guess.

Lots of new airplanes do this, when the brakes are cheaper to replace than using fuel for reverse thrust above idle.

So it is no excuse to need nine thousand feet of runway at a busy airport at rush hour.

OK, I will be honest. When I read the title of this thread, I was somewhat turned off. However, I have experienced this EXACT same thing myself in IAD. 11,500 foot runway, and JetBlue rolled out to the end. I was livid. It's their runway, but it was VERY obvious they had an alterior motive. In response to Don, this time we were on *approximately* SIX mile final when they were rolling out. We still had to go-around.

I know some JetBlue pilots, and many of them are outstanding individuals. However, that experience really left me with a very distasteful opinion of the company. Hearing that this happened a second time, and hearing the comments in the Holiday Inn North (right?) elevator, it doesn't just seem like a rare occurance.

Absoluely ridiculous. The title fits perfectly.

Word, I was riding shotgun with Chicaga when this happened. I couldn't believe that they used the entire 11,500' runway.

Lots of new airplanes do this, when the brakes are cheaper to replace than using fuel for reverse thrust above idle.

So it is no excuse to need nine thousand feet of runway at a busy airport at rush hour.

Hope they never have to land on a 6000ft or less runway, then. If they use 8000+ for a normal landing, they should probably reconsider their operating procedures or they may have to discontinue service some cities.

I understand saving the brakes, etc. But there's a time and place. EWR is neither the time nor the place.

Aw heck, come to think of it in Newark, the tower tells YOU where you're getting off the runway. I've heard more than a handful of times, "Jetlink 2940 you're cleared to land 22L, make Golf sir."

so...maybe someone knows the reason why they are doing this and can pop in and let everyone know?!

maybe there is a valid reason, after all, it really doesn't sound as though they're trying to piss off any one particular airline.

Clarification

Hope they never have to land on a 6000ft or less runway, then. If they use 8000+ for a normal landing, they should probably reconsider their operating procedures or they may have to discontinue service some cities.

I understand saving the brakes, etc. But there's a time and place. EWR is neither the time nor the place.

No, by "do this" I meant that planes with newer types of brakes that are cheaper to replace and don't wear out as fast, no more than idle reverse thrust is used.

In other words brakes do almost all the stopping effort and reverse is activated into idle and ready if it's needed but not spooled up because the fuel used is more expensive than the brakes.

So I agree with you -- they have no reason to use all of the runway.

Landed in EWR tonight from LAX. I was 3.5 miles behind JetBlue and cleared to land 22L. After touching down JetBlue slowed and literally taxied to the end of the runway. Tower was yelling at JB to clear to no avail. At 30 feet above the runway tower called us to go-around and as we overflew the runway JetBlue had still not cleared. Very unprofessional folks!!! The second time around we were the exact distance behind an American MD-80 and he cleared and was holding short of 22R well before we touched down. This little adventure cost us 30 minutes and 2500 pounds of fuel, to say nothing of the potential exposure to risk.

Fast forward to the layover hotel. I ended up in the elevator with another JetBlue crew and when asked how it was going I commented on the unprofessionalism of one of their JB crews. The FO quickly shot back " Well, you guys screw us every chance you get so payback is a bitch".

I remarked in my roundtable comments about developing and maintaining professionalism. This is just one glaring example of where we never want to feel comfortable being. Very sad.....:(:banghead:

Wait a minute. What happened to "only the Captain and crew of the airplane are qualified to judge what is appropriate, and it is not the place for another crew to judge them?" That was the prevailing attitude on here when one AMR Captain questioned another AMR Captain not too long ago.

When you call out someone like you did, what else did you expect? Hugs and puppies?

Where is Fins? He is a JetBlue guy. After reading this and hearing other stories of JB taking their time on the runway I am very curious now.
I know an NWA guy who told me he had to do a quick go around in LAS because of a JB creeping along 25L which is a VERY long runway.

Other possibilities:

JB procedures may call for this particular behavior

JB pilots are engaged in some sort of job action.

Other possibilities:

JB procedures may call for this particular behavior

JB pilots are engaged in some sort of job action.

I sure hope it's the former. Forcing aircraft to go around is no way of winning sympathy for a job action. The associated problems even beyond the obvious safety factor are endless. There are far more effective and non safety compromising ways of proving a point. There's absolutely no place for this type of behavior if it was in fact intentional.

I don't blame calcapt for being steamed.

I do have to say when I worked on the ramp in IAD there were plenty of times when I had to wait to push cause JetBlue was taxiing too slow.

It must also be a company policy in all departments cause their ramp crew push v..e..r..y.. slow and spend too much time in the taxiway unhooking which should take about 3 min tops to push and unhook and airbus.

What an interesting thread.

I read calcapt's posts, and took an inner reflection (not to long though) and have seen myself frustrated in the same manner. I think his comments reflect thoughts made (lots of) and comments spoken (a few) from myself.

But I'm not here to defend him. Although he exemplifies how I expect to carry myself at that stage in my career, it's great to know that he gets frustrated like all of us.

I do, however, see several topics of note being discussed in the thread.

I will now, free of charge, offer up $5 of my $.02

First, when you're on the runway, it's your runway. If you can't hold short or make a taxiway expeditiously, it's definately your perogative.

That being true, if you expect to use all the pavement, it's a courtesy to let ATC know so the person following can increase spacing. Yet, I can name a handful of legacies, that at various times through my short aviation career, have engaged in slow taxiing, and, um extensive landing rolls as a collective.

Every organization has that 5%. Everyone.

I've flown carbon brakes for years, had a year of steel and am back to carbon. Carbon brakes like heat. So a good medium action on the brakes heats them, hardens them and reduces the wear.

Autobrakes, and I'm guessing the airbus has them, use a rate of deceleration, so unless you pop them off, it's almost impossible to use a regular length of contcete. Even the whale at MGLW will only take about 7500 and 9000 if you use the min available (not allowed at our CO) with the recommended brakes, , and I've taken 5 without heating the steel brakes in the old one.

What does it all mean? We all get frustrated. That's the best I could come up with.

Probably not the crew fault that they took their time... since their fleet was Airbus, they probably had to taxi full power to get to end since their nose gear was sideways! :sarcasm:

A wise man once told me that "you can only be the captain of one airplane at one time." You dont know what was going on up there nor is it your place to ask. Fly your airplane safely.

Thats what happens when a company is run by non-union scabs. I presume the same for VX and their shiney uniforms (I saw a crew of theirs at LAS the other day. They look "trendy".)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back