JetBlue hires violent felon as a pilot

Question for you Arizona folks:

So Prescott is pronounced press-kit.

But Scottsdale is pronounced s-cott-sdale.

So why isn't it pronounced Pres-cot?

Well, Scottsdale is named after Winifield Scott, it's in the valley, hence Scottsdale.

Prescott is named after William Prescott (preskot), but the locals call it 'presskit' (like biscuit). So techically it's "scott" but the local vernacular is 'skitt'.

It really doesn't matter any more.

Tucson, not only easy to mispell, is also a magical, weird place.

I had a layover a few years ago out in the sticks (before we moved to the UA area) and I told the FO, "Now watch the bartender ask us where we're from, you'll say Denver, she'll say how nice Denver is, I'll say 'North Scottsdale' she'll sneer and I will be invisible the rest of the evening".

You could set an atomic clock with how accurate it was.

was that the time I took off in front of you at KTUS?

For crying out loud, were any of these convicted violent felons?

Spouses and divorces is usually petty crap. Not violent felons, unless a guy kills his wife in which case, yes permanent ban from being an airline pilot.

And the ATP in America is a joke. We should adopt European standards. I’d like to see pilots here take the 14 part theory exams. More strict on standards and SOPs. We have a laid back culture here. Safe, sure, but an absence of a crash does not imply a good safety culture. The accident-causing pilots of Colgan and Atlas had an ATP. Doesn’t mean much.

Aviation IMSAFE - Illness, Medication, Stress, Alcohol, Fatigue, Emotions

Divorce affects emotions. It's all about continuous improvement. I can't speak to what other countries do with their pilots. Strictly hearsay.

Didn't a European pilot commit crash by suicide?

Random neighborhoods in Seattle put the direction after the street name. 6969 152nd AVE SE. stooopid

We do this in DC. It defines which quadrant of the city the address is in. Combined with a couple other rules it’s a really efficient systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We do this in DC. It defines which quadrant of the city the address is in. Combined with a couple other rules it’s a really efficient systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well damn. You’re the first person that’s been able to explain the reason to me. Thanks!

Isn’t a requirement for ATP “be of good moral character”? I can’t reconcile that with breaking into someone’s home and nearly beating them to death with a metal baton.

If it had just happened, I would agree. But when it’s far in the past, I would say that long ago actions are no indicator of current morality.

If it had just happened, I would agree. But when it’s far in the past, I would say that long ago actions are no indicator of current morality.
No. Actions have consequences, those consequences are not given solely as punishment to the convicted, they also serve as an example and deterrent for others to consider before they also commit a crime. Committing the crime and doing the time doesn't end when someone gets out of prison for trying to kill their ex-fiancé. They ruined their life voluntarily, no one forced them to do it. You live with lots of choices you can't take back everyday, so do those guys but you never tried to kill anyone (or maybe you just didn't get caught).

No. Actions have consequences, those consequences are not given solely as punishment to the convicted, they also serve as an example and deterrent for others to consider before they also commit a crime. Committing the crime and doing the time doesn't end when someone gets out of prison for trying to kill their ex-fiancé. They ruined their life voluntarily, no one forced them to do it. You live with lots of choices you can't take back everyday, so do those guys but you never tried to kill anyone (or maybe you just didn't get caught).

We just have very different values.

Especially nowadays for something like THC.

I can't go anywhere with large gatherings of people without smelling weed. The last time I went to Vegas while walking down the strip, it was almost nauseating. I went to the Cards game this past weekend, same deal. The fact that someone could lose their career over inhaling someone's second smoke because maryjane has become defacto legal is terrifying.

However, that's an different issue entirely from the one at hand. Your beef is with the FAA/airline in that instance and you haven't committed a crime. Everyone deserves due process in some form or fashion, sure, but I think you should lose your right to an ATP if you have a demonstrated past of intentionally hurting people.

We don't let guys fly because they take <insert xyz anti-depressant here>, but we're going to permit convicted violent felons to do so?
What really scares me as a douchebag that vapes is the number of vape pens that have thc in them.

A gas station near me has a collection of really neat disposables. They also sell delta 8. The difference between d8 and other • is subtle enough I worry about the possibility of buying the wrong one then I’m boned.

Pretty sure I've landed at PHX at least once a week for the last 6 weeks.....sometimes multiple times a day. But I have never gotten to the hotel before 2300 with more than 10-12 hrs to report. I'm also pretty sure that my ashes will now be scattered on twy S right at the changeover to S ground and I'll never receive clearance to enter D for eternity. Is there anything going on in camelback after midnight? Oh the IHOP you say? And nothing else? Or the In n Out too?

As an aside, we should probably rip off the bandaid and just make it a teeny tiny pilot base. It would immediately draw hundreds if not more. Or TX. Open the spigot to Brazil ETOPS departures. I'd move there for that.

Isn’t a requirement for ATP “be of good moral character”? I can’t reconcile that with breaking into someone’s home and nearly beating them to death with a metal baton.

Is that same "requirement" required for say. . .the president of the United States? I stopped talking in absolutes a long time ago.

Pretty sure I've landed at PHX at least once a week for the last 6 weeks.....sometimes multiple times a day. But I have never gotten to the hotel before 2300 with more than 10-12 hrs to report. I'm also pretty sure that my ashes will now be scattered on twy S right at the changeover to S ground and I'll never receive clearance to enter D for eternity. Is there anything going on in camelback after midnight? Oh the IHOP you say? And nothing else? Or the In n Out too?

As an aside, we should probably rip off the bandaid and just make it a teeny tiny pilot base. It would immediately draw hundreds if not more. Or TX. Open the spigot to Brazil ETOPS departures. I'd move there for that.

Damn, is PHX that popular of a city for AS? Come to think of it, I think that AS and UA are the only ones on your side of the terminal.

We just have very different values.
I think I've told this story before but I'll tell it again regardless, it's an anecdotal example of our system. When I was in high school I had a friend named Chris. Chris was a happy, fun person to be around. Chris had a girlfriend, and one night when her mom was away they were getting into some "heavy petting" in her apartment. This all happened when we were all about 17-18 years old. Her mom came home and found them in some state of undress and called the cops. Eventually Chris was convicted of statutory rape, despite his girlfriend testifying in court and writing letters to the judge stating that they'd never had intercourse. When he came out of prison a few years later he was not the same happy go lucky guy anymore, he was a yoked • prone to violence for any perceived affront and very quickly all of his old friends distanced themselves from him because no one wants to hang out with someone like that. Prison changes people, I think there are a very few who were very bad when they went in and come out better afterwards, but I think the majority of good people who get caught up come out as much worse people than they were before they went in. I don't want Chris flying an airplane. It doesn't matter how you wish this all works, what matters is how it actually all works now.

I think I've told this story before but I'll tell it again regardless, it's an anecdotal example of our system. When I was in high school I had a friend named Chris. Chris was a happy, fun person to be around. Chris had a girlfriend, and one night when her mom was away they were getting into some "heavy petting" in her apartment. This all happened when we were all about 17-18 years old. Her mom came home and found them in some state of undress and called the cops. Eventually Chris was convicted of statutory rape, despite his girlfriend testifying in court and writing letters to the judge stating that they'd never had intercourse. When he came out of prison a few years later he was not the same happy go lucky guy anymore, he was a yoked • prone to violence for any perceived affront and very quickly all of his old friends distanced themselves from him because no one wants to hang out with someone like that. Prison changes people, I think there are a very few who were very bad when they went in and come out better afterwards, but I think the majority of good people who get caught up come out as much worse people than they were before they went in. I don't want Chris flying an airplane. It doesn't matter how you wish this all works, what matters is how it actually all works now.

And I don’t care about your anecdotes, I care about right and wrong. It’s wrong to punish someone whose sentence is over.

Back