Jet flying tips

Fly? Oh hell, "Flare/rollout armed."

bitch-please-rage-face-466x550.jpg

Do you guys have to Verbalize that?

Sent from my TRS-80

Do you guys have to Verbalize that?

Sent from my TRS-80

Yeah. PM calls the flare/rollout armed, the PF calls out what's on the ASA.

In general though, the majority of our callouts are when something is abnormal, which I prefer. Continuation of that whole "dark cockpit" stuff.

I think we're largely silent. But then I have recurrent in October so I gues I'd better figure that out!

Sent from my TRS-80

I think we're largely silent. But then I have recurrent in October so I gues I'd better figure that out!

Sent from my TRS-80

I've got an October recurrent too. We keep getting changes that nobody really knows about until transition guys come out of the sim and teach us the "new" way. Guess I gotta hit the books. :)

Energy. In a couple months when its not ISA +15, try accelerating and then climbing at Vne / Mmo. Its not worth it on hot days, but in the winter I have seen 2,500FPM+ climbing the CJ at redline. Ends up saving .1 hobbs and 100-200 lbs of fuel. Couple hundred bucks right there. Over the course of the winter, tens of thousands in savings. Personal technique only, no where does it say you have to or should practice this.

Hmmm...that must be a CJ technique, because none of the jets I've flown did anything close to "efficient" at the red line. In fact, I was never even able to get the F-15E or T-38 even to their max KCAS or Mach. Afterburner is about the most inefficient use of fuel known to aviation.

Yeah. PM calls the flare/rollout armed, the PF calls out what's on the ASA.

In general though, the majority of our callouts are when something is abnormal, which I prefer. Continuation of that whole "dark cockpit" stuff.
"yes, yes, I can see what's on the FMA, it's right in front of me, and changes get boxes drawn around them!'

Hmmm...that must be a CJ technique, because none of the jets I've flown did anything close to "efficient" at the red line. In fact, I was never even able to get the F-15E or T-38 even to their max KCAS or Mach. Afterburner is about the most inefficient use of fuel known to aviation.

Yeah I would agree on the Hornet as well. Our most efficient climb is mil @ 475 kts intercepting 0.82 Mach, ie the 2 engine clean bingo/divert profile. Nowhere near max airspeed, which I have also never been close to.

Again, it only works in the winter, try this in the summer and you will be climbing at 500FPM if your lucky. Fuel burn on the FJ44 is give or take 1,000 lbs (total) difference between mid 20's and 40's, so spending an additional 12-15 minutes at "lower" altitude does not have a major effect on our mission.

Back