Jet flying tips

Yea I'm not sure about the this climbing at Vne stuff but with jet aircraft it's VERY easy to be inefficient. Fly the profiles to a T. Climbing at 250/280/300 may all seem like CRAZY fast but it makes a big difference in climb rates and fuel burns. Also be very careful about getting too slow at TOC. You'll be tempted to try and get a few thousand feet extra up top but if you are too heavy or it's too hot all you'll do is fly slow up there. You'd be surprised how much the performance deteriorates as you get in the upper 30s.
As a Hawker pilot study up on this accident after you get through school:
http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2011/AAR1101.pdf

Sure, if you've got 8-10,000 feet to play with grease it on. Otherwise put it in the touch down zone firmly. I think of more guys in the corp world would stop trying to grease it,

TFaudree_ERAU

The only thing I can think to add is don't worry too much about blistering performance and everything happening at warp speed. It's a Hawker! :D

Seriously, good luck. You won't believe how easy Jeeeetttttttttt flying is. I spent the first hundred hours or so waiting for the other shoe to drop and to have to do some actual work.

in the cj3 i plan using a 240/.62 profile. climbing at 280/.74 has me arrive .1-.2 & 100-200 lbs les then the above plan. it takes 35 mins to climb into the 40's, but you make up for the longer time at lower altitude with increased forward speed. that being said, the fj44 engine is likely a hell of a lot more efficient then whatever is on the hawkers or older jets, and lingering through the 20's and 30's doesnt break our bank unless you are trying to fly 1600nm+

Or if you get a left generator failure at 100 knots in the sim, continue the takeoff, have your right engine start surging, then hand yourself an even bigger emergency when you call for it to be shut down... Well, just handle it and kick yourself in the ass later. :D

(Not that I know this from experience....or something...)

Huh, I was going to give the EXACT same advice! I may or may not have done that on my type ride (mine was an inverter failure - and after takeoff my autopilot didn't work...) :D

Coming fresh out of sim training, that would be my advice - follow the profile!! Examiners don't like it when you deviate from the profile. If the next box to check is a rejected takeoff, you're going to do a rejected takeoff.

If you do not do a rejected takeoff, the examiner's anger and frustration resulting from the realization that they now have to spend an extra 15 minutes in that god forsaken box is going to get taken out on YOU.

If you do not do a rejected takeoff, the examiner's anger and frustration resulting from the realization that they now have to spend an extra 15 minutes in that god forsaken box is going to get taken out on YOU.

There's a simple solution if the above happens. Inform the sim examiner that its not your fault that he's a sim monkey and you're not, and that he has to actually do his job for once and think outside the script. He/she will appreciate your honest, refreshing outlook.

There's a simple solution if the above happens. Inform the sim examiner that its not your fault that he's a sim monkey and you're not, and that he has to actually do his job for once and think outside the script. He/she will appreciate your honest, refreshing outlook.

Exactly. If only I had had that amount of fortitude... it was my first type ride and I hadn't gotten the certificate yet. Guy had anger issues anyways.

in the cj3 i plan using a 240/.62 profile. climbing at 280/.74 has me arrive .1-.2 & 100-200 lbs les then the above plan. it takes 35 mins to climb into the 40's, but you make up for the longer time at lower altitude with increased forward speed. that being said, the fj44 engine is likely a hell of a lot more efficient then whatever is on the hawkers or older jets, and lingering through the 20's and 30's doesnt break our bank unless you are trying to fly 1600nm+
Does that thing do anything quickly?

I didn't read the whole thread but if you've been flying jumpers single pilot, I think it's less about the jet and more about learning to use the other pilot. Jets just go up faster, fly faster, and land faster (if you fly jumpers you probably descend faster already judging from the crazy videos I've seen). It's not too hard to catch on but try to use the other guy whenever possible. Have him run checklists and flip switches while you fly if there is a non-normal. Have him work the radios and dig out charts. In a complex situation, the flying pilot should unload as much as possible on the other guy and learn to just fly and think about what needs to be done next. Make a plan and verbalize the plan.

There is a fancy buzzword for it all and college classes and probably a whole advisory circular. But it's all pretty simple and comes natural when forced to work with someone else. Jets are faster and can be more complex. You really need the other guy and the plane is designed that way.

Can also depend on the winds. If you have a bitchin headwind up top, getting to altitude fast doesnt necessarily mean more fuel savings in the long run and vice versa.

Often, there are drag and fuel burn consequences when operating toward Vmo/Mmo. Definitely an aircraft specific scenario that may not transfer well to a Hawker.

It's funny. There is this old (and free) book wrotten by the US gov't that talks about operating jets.

It discusses various profiles, why high speeds can affect controllability nd really kills fuel burn.

There's also one of our secret JC resources, Jimflyfast who can explain it all too.

Engineer at Boeing even. I like when folks try to argue with him about such! :)

Sent from my TRS-80

It's funny. There is this old (and free) book wrotten by the US gov't that talks about operating jets.

It discusses various profiles, why high speeds can affect controllability nd really kills fuel burn.

There's also one of our secret JC resources, Jimflyfast who can explain it all too.
I love books wrotten by the US gov't.

Back