Jet flying tips

Autocorrect: Takes innocent words and makes for fun screenshots on memebase, overlooks the obvious.

<scumbag autocorrect hat>

It's funny. There is this old (and free) book wrotten by the US gov't that talks about operating jets.

It discusses various profiles, why high speeds can affect controllability nd really kills fuel burn.

There's also one of our secret JC resources, Jimflyfast who can explain it all too.

I have a hard copy of Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators floating around here somewhere... I actually bought it for my Aerodynamics class in college. One of the very few classes that was worth what I paid for it.

Here's a tip: go to the bathroom in the terminal because it's awkward walking past passengers to use the pisser inflight ;)

Only awkward if you forget to check the flight time remaining or don't have a general idea of where you are. :)

Only awkward if you forget to check the flight time remaining or don't have a general idea of where you are. :)
We have to do the walk of shame past 50 pax to get to the lav, then when I'm in there for 10 minutes I get conscious because they know I'm in there blowing it up!

The only thing I can think to add is don't worry too much about blistering performance and everything happening at warp speed. It's a Hawker!

Hey, I flew right seat in a BitchJet once...and you don't have much room to talk. It sounds louder at idle on the ramp than it really is.

We have to do the walk of shame past 50 pax to get to the lav, then when I'm in there for 10 minutes I get conscious because they know I'm in there blowing it up!

Better than listening to the flight attendants gab away on their jumpseats 3' from the door. :)

Awesome advice so far. Especially the part about flying the sim slow. I guess we will be using Simcom in Orlando for the fun stuff. Thanks for the replies. After being with my old company for a while, I was so apprehensive to leave just because of the comfort, but it's good to move up finally.

Curtis, the plane is based in VNY which will mean a little drive for me. Just going to take it as it comes at first. If the commute sucks I will probably move closer.

The Hawker is a decent airplane. It's fairly comfortable, so long days don't leave you feeling as beat up as some other airplanes out there.
As far as tips or tricks go the one thing that stood out to me the most when I started flying them is the brakes, I had to sneak up on them at first until getting used to them. Baggage space is horrible, so if you haven't played tetris in a while you should probably brush up on your skills a little bit.
The rudder bias system is great, but as previously mentioned at first you may accidentally push back against the rudder pedal when it kicks you in the foot.
I'll agree with the others about the flare, if you try to hold it off too long not only are you going to have the nose waaaay in the air when you touch down, you're probably going to end up slamming the nose down shortly afterward. As a side note... it's kind of funny to watch someone try too hard to hold it off and pull a greaser of a landing, they end up looking like they're riding a getaway horse. :)
Congratulations on the new job!

Good point about the brakes. Press em down a little in anticipation of stopping; they take a little "charging up" before working. If you step on em without charging them up, you'll probably give everyone whiplash.

Awesome advice so far. Especially the part about flying the sim slow. I guess we will be using Simcom in Orlando for the fun stuff. Thanks for the replies. After being with my old company for a while, I was so apprehensive to leave just because of the comfort, but it's good to move up finally.

Curtis, the plane is based in VNY which will mean a little drive for me. Just going to take it as it comes at first. If the commute sucks I will probably move closer.
What part of SoCal do you live? I fly out of LGB but live up in SZP.

One more thing I don't think has been mentioned. Be smooth! In the sim, put it where it needs to be, don't bust a maneuver for the sake of smoothness. In the real plane, smooooooooth is your goal. In the part 91 corp world you tend to fly the same people almost every time, don't have the reputation for being the guy who makes people sick. Prior to level off's no more then 1,000fpm. Some auto pilots/planes are different, but that advice seems to work for me so far.

Biggest Sim Trick.

Remember it is a video game first and plane second. No matter what you are doing in a sim, it is looking for a certain set of numbers. E.g. certain fuel flows always = x speed, x degrees pitch up in a steep turn makes you look like a hero, etc.

each sim has it's own personality too.

Well I don't fly a jet I did go from freight to a fancy plane last year. A lot of my flying was in non AutoPilot planes or crumby AP planes. Most of my checkrides were hand flown beginning to end in the past. In the King Air 350 sim at Simuflite, it was very different in that the autopilot did 95% of the work. I assume most complex planes and type ratings will be the same. You will have to do V1 cuts and memory items and fly a few approaches by hand but essentially you will be letting the AP do most of the flying for you. Even the approaches you hand fly will be set up for you and flown with the AP, then disengaged just outside the FAF and you just have to fly for 2-3 minutes by hand. It sounds easy but going from hand flying to managing an AP on the center console was a hard transition, it was hard to let go. The point is get to know your AP ASAP as it is the most powerful tool you have and managing it is the majority of what you'll be tested on. You might want to get some sim time too before going to training.

Congrats on the new job.

Well I don't fly a jet I did go from freight to a fancy plane last year. A lot of my flying was in non AutoPilot planes or crumby AP planes. Most of my checkrides were hand flown beginning to end in the past. In the King Air 350 sim at Simuflite, it was very different in that the autopilot did 95% of the work. I assume most complex planes and type ratings will be the same. You will have to do V1 cuts and memory items and fly a few approaches by hand but essentially you will be letting the AP do most of the flying for you. Even the approaches you hand fly will be set up for you and flown with the AP, then disengaged just outside the FAF and you just have to fly for 2-3 minutes by hand. It sounds easy but going from hand flying to managing an AP on the center console was a hard transition, it was hard to let go. The point is get to know your AP ASAP as it is the most powerful tool you have and managing it is the majority of what you'll be tested on. You might want to get some sim time too before going to training.

Congrats on the new job.

Absolutely. Have the box and the automation down pat, and you've got a big leg up in the sim. Just fly profiles.

Then get in the airplane and actually learn to fly it. ;)

Fly? Oh hell, "Flare/rollout armed."

bitch-please-rage-face-466x550.jpg

Back