Is this 91.13 Careless or reckless operation

PGT

A Mooney, around 50ft AGL, low pass over the length of the runway with the gear and flaps up?

What about a C172?

There is no way to really know what "offically" is reckless or careless... that is until the FAA busts you for it, then you would know. :panic:

not if you're making a normal traffic pattern, as if you were doing a go-around. where it would get careless and reckless would be a hot-dog pull-up, or any unusual maneuver that an inspector would judge to be reckless or endangering other traffic.

But a low pass in a normal configuration is a good training maneuver, and can be done in a safe, non-careless/reckless manner.

Was it a non towered field? .......just to play devils advocate.....

According to 91.119 "Except for T/O and LNDG....no person may op a/c below following alts.....anywhere - if pwr unit fails emergency lndg without undue hazard to persons or property on the sfc"

Would an engine failure at 50ft above the rwy create undue hazard to those on the sfc? Don't think so.

I would think it isn't careless or reckless. That is not even a particularly low buzz job.

I knew a guy - friend of my grandpa's. He was a former F-100 pilot, then CAL (until 1983 of course).

He had a Waco YOC - a cabin model (here is an example. Not the airplane in question, my friends was bright red).
YOC.jpg

Anyway, he would fly down the runway very fast at about two feet. Also, I saw him execute a beautiful slow roll on final culminating in a perfect wheel landing.

To me, that is reckless operation. A Mooney or 172 at 50 feet isn't in my opinion.

Was it a non towered field? .......just to play devils advocate.....

According to 91.119 "Except for T/O and LNDG....no person may op a/c below following alts.....anywhere - if pwr unit fails emergency lndg without undue hazard to persons or property on the sfc"

Would an engine failure at 50ft above the rwy create undue hazard to those on the sfc? Don't think so.

Arguable

What if it goes out in the last 1-2000 feet so you wouldn't have enough room before running through the fence and onto the road.

Arguable

What if it goes out in the last 1-2000 feet so you wouldn't have enough room before running through the fence and onto the road.

You never mentoned the road, school building or nuclear power plant off the end of the rwy in your original post!!! If that's the case then 50 ft above rwy until the normal rotation point and climb out. That qualifies under 91.119

A Mooney, around 50ft AGL, low pass over the length of the runway with the gear and flaps up?

What about a C172?

Mooney - alright.
Cessna 172 - would have either been a 172RG or accidentally ripped the gear off during the first attempt ...

Nothing indicates careless or reckless operation. Flying low is actually fun.
A FAA Inspector may have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with such individual, likely not on vague witness reports and maybe after seeing it him/herself but a violation would probably not be produced.

Someone trying to turn someone in, or just a scare?
Witnessing other pilots do their preflight sometimes constitutes a careless and reckless operation, but a lowpass over airport property...:confused:

So would this be a solution to all of the low pass problems?

[YT]ZIW3AHocPXI[/YT]

There is no engine to fail, and there is plenty of energy to do the "go around" into a normal traffic pattern.

As long as tower approves it, or it's been announced on CTAF and it's not busy, I see no problem with it.

An old examiner once told me a story.

Bob Hoover (the famous pilot) was inbound on a visual approach in VMC in his Twin Shrike. The DPE that told me the story was in the tower cab at that point.

Bob keyed the mike and requested clearance for a "Hoover Approach".

The Tower cleared him for a 'Hoover Approach'.

Mr. Hoover apparently then proceeded to do some sort of low level aerobatic routine down the touchdown zone of the runway, including a low level loop.

Incensed, the Tower personnel were ready to skin him alive and file all sorts of dire violations.

The DPE intervened. He reminded them that they cleared him for a 'Hoover Approach'. If they had failed to fully know what that was beforehand was not important. Once the Tower cleared it, they were liable for the end result.

Needless to say, Mr. Hoover wasn't bothered by the situation at all.

Back