Is it just a little boy's dream or a real job?

No Doug really, while other people are actually working for a living. I'm driving a desk which is code for surfing the web all day. lol It's great. How do you think I had time for JC...well before I got pregnant, couldn't sleep and ended up on JC at 1:30am?! lol

well before I got pregnant, couldn't sleep and ended up on JC at 1:30am?! lol

JC got you preggers?! ArrroOooO? :)

(I know, I know!)

I am lucky enough that I will have a regional job as soon as I finish training with a look into a major job 2 years after that. Although I can't say for certain, I'm pretty sure even if that wasn't the case, I'd still be flying and giving everything to try and get to the airlines.
What kind of set up do you have that gurantees you this path?

Qantas cadetship:nana2:

Job gets boring after a while too. The only thrill anymore is the ever-so-rare approach to minimums.

Job gets boring after a while too. The only thrill anymore is the ever-so-rare approach to minimums.

Cruise is pretty damn boring. . .and at 23 an hour, really isn't enjoyable.

But. . .the other portions are, and can be, enjoyable.

Even for me as a disgruntled union cheerleader.

Cruise wouldn't be so boring, and it won't be boring in the future - when I'm making a wage I'm comfortable and happy making.

After graduating from ATP, it dawned on me that I didn't really want a regional job.
After departing my Miami CFI gig this past Friday, I realized just how bad it is right now and I was about to go flip chicken at Pollo Tropical and work on other things in my life, but alas, I got the call, hired at a new flight school. So my aviation career continues.
I left the ATC program to go be a pilot. I said good bye to a government pension, a job that desperately needs people for the next 20 years, for a roller coaster job market of ups and downs.
WHY???
Because I felt like it. It was a childhod dream, it's been conquered, now it is a job, one that I enjoy once that engine is running and the wheels lift off the pavement. If I never step foot again in a cockpit, I will feel sad, but at least I won't die saying, "I wish I went and did that."
Flying also takes my mind off other things in life that I find lacking, it is my therapy.

23 dollars an hour for sitting and watching the clouds go by?
Geesh...Some people would do that for free... :D :sarcasm:

Actually, after you factor in time sitting ready reserve, waiting for the darn airport shuttle, preflight/postflight, etc. It probably really comes out to darn less than $5 an hour. LOL :rolleyes:

Actually, after you factor in time sitting ready reserve, waiting for the darn airport shuttle, preflight/postflight, etc. It probably really comes out to darn less than $5 an hour. LOL :rolleyes:

I'd be happy with $5/hour for something i enjoy vs. $30/hour i utterly detest :p

I'd be happy with $5/hour for something i enjoy vs. $30/hour i utterly detest :p

Yeah, well thats what alot of us thought too. You can't tell me you'd enjoy waiting for an airport shuttle for 40 mins? And your time on this planet is worth alot more than $5 an hour. I always thought it was nice the guy/gal behind the airport counter at McDees made more than me. But hey I loved what I was doing, right? :sarcasm:

Just because you start out making low wages does not mean you will be stuck making low wages for the rest of your career. I don't think a McDonalds employee makes the same as a major airline Captain making over 150k a year.

Again, You will have to work to get to where you want to be. You will have to live poor sometimes but eventually if you really want it bad enough you will get to the position you want to be.

There are plenty of pilots who made it and are doing very well right now, for some reason they don't post much on this forum though. All I see here is a bunch of pilots who whine about unions and low pay.

Whats funny is a lot of people talk about flying being boring after awhile. If you truly love to fly it will not get boring. I think some people joined this profession thinking they would look good in a pilots uniform.

Whats funny is a lot of people talk about flying being boring after awhile. If you truly love to fly it will not get boring. I think some people joined this profession thinking they would look good in a pilots uniform.

For what it's worth - I really, truly believed I loved flying. It was my passion. Then I got bored with it and left the profession. Some people keep the love and passion for flying, some lose it. I guarentee you, when I was at your experience level I felt I loved flying at least as much as you do. It really can happen to anyone. Once this happens though, some choose to stay in the profession, and some choose to leave based on their personal circumstances.

Oh, and I for one have never, nor have I ever wanted to wear a "pilot's uniform.":)

Oh, and I for one have never, nor have I ever wanted to wear a "pilot's uniform.":)

Especially the hat. I firmly believe it is what led to my eventual hair-loss.

BUT...I wore it every day just like the company wanted me to. I guess I have a thing about responsibility and integrity.

23 dollars an hour for sitting and watching the clouds go by?
Geesh...Some people would do that for free... :D :sarcasm:

My point was that if I am getting paid a wage, such as $23 an hour ... I'd want to find it enjoyable.

I suppose every cruise is enjoyable so long as metal doesn't start sheering. ;)

There are plenty of pilots who made it and are doing very well right now, for some reason they don't post much on this forum though. All I see here is a bunch of pilots who whine about unions and low pay.

Trust me when I say(and others may agree or not) that the uniform is the last thing you want to be wearing when your commuting or greeting them after/before a flight. I cannot even begin to tell you the stupid things people have said to me when I was in uniform.

Like Ian stated, everyone loves flying thats why we all went through hoops and bounds to get where we were in the airlines. Perspectives change due to experience, thats just life.

As for not getting bored since you really love flying? Its like saying you wouldn't get bored sitting in a car for 4 hours? Especially with "George"(autopilot) at the helm...

Back