Introduction

Pitotheat1

Hi folks!
I just wanted to introduce myself to all at JC. My name Ed and I am currently stationed in Germany working as a Blackhawk pilot. I’ve made the decision to “cross over from the dark side” and obtain commercial fixed wing pilot status before I fulfill my service obligation. I am committed to this goal and believe me, so is my wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Unfortunately I don’t know of any part 141 schools here in Germany so it looks like I’ll have to wait until I return to the U.S. In the mean time I am looking forward to the conversation, gouge, and insight along the way here at J.C.!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome!

How fast can a Blackhawk fly from Germany to Las Vegas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh man I wish it was that easy! 193kts. That it due to structural limits but believe me that's fast enough when you're 30 ft above the ground and maybe ten feet above that palm tree that just went by. Lot's of fun flying that way though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oh man I wish it was that easy! 193kts. That it due to structural limits but believe me that's fast enough when you're 30 ft above the ground and maybe ten feet above that palm tree that just went by. Lot's of fun flying that way though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

193? Thats pretty cool!

Welcome to jetcareers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
193kts. That it due to structural limits but believe me that's fast enough when you're 30 ft above the ground and maybe ten feet above that palm tree that just went by. Lot's of fun flying that way though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I really miss about the Marines. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nothing like screaming up the Potomac river at 50 ft AGL and 190 kts.

Or hanging halfway out of the hellhole while doing a external lift.

Or hovering off the Virgina Beach boradwalk checking out the girls.

Or.....

Welcome aboard.

FYI your helicopter PIC time counts toward your comercial liscense.

It may be easier to get you comercial rotorcraft with instrument (should be a no brainer), then add on your fixed wing ratings. Then you'll be dual rated, and can go anywhere.

Unfortunaly many airlines don't count any helo time toward their mininmums. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

If I may clarify, 193kts is the max but I have never nor likely will risk my crew to find out if the aircraft will fly that airspeed at that altitude. It’s an elusive airspeed because the balancing of the blades have to be right on and the aircraft has to be light.

Thanks USMC,
I'm racking as much instrument and PIC time while I'm here. I'm not sure about this but do I need to take a ride to get a Commercial Instrument rating or can it be done by test?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks USMC,
I'm racking as much instrument and PIC time while I'm here. I'm not sure about this but do I need to take a ride to get a Commercial Instrument rating or can it be done by test?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pitotheat1

Welcome to JC. I used to crew Blackhawks so I know exactly what your talking about. Where in Germany are you?

Best of luck, and treat your chiefs right... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

"Welcome aboard.

FYI your helicopter PIC time counts toward your comercial liscense.

It may be easier to get you comercial rotorcraft with instrument (should be a no brainer), then add on your fixed wing ratings. Then you'll be dual rated, and can go anywhere.

Unfortunaly many airlines don't count any helo time toward their mininmums."

I think your turbine time counts also but I might be mistaken

Really great to ave you aboard. Are you allowed to post any pics of your blackhawk?

Brian,
belive it or not I really don't have many pr pics of the aircraft. Just some stuff from downrange that I shot myself.

[ QUOTE ]
Really great to ave you aboard. Are you allowed to post any pics of your blackhawk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey brian, I have some I'll show you when we go flying ok...

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks USMC,

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I am mistaken your instrument rating dosent diffrentiate between comercial and private. It does however restrict you to the catagory and class of aircraft (helicopter).

In your case you should get your CPL rotorcraft and instrument rotorcraft. You should just have to take a quick checkride.

When you switch over to fixed wing you can skip the private and go straight to comercial airplane single and multi engine land.

When you get your multi engine you would have to add Airplane to your instrument rating, this covers both singles and twins.

To get your CFI you have to take seperat checkrides for each type of aircraft.

That's what I would do if I were in your shoes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rember advice around here is worth exactly how much you paid for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
He can count his turbine time even if they don't produce thrust? Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The FAA dosen't know or care about wether the airplane has a recip or turbine engine except for flight enginers.

For example, if you are signed off to fly a C-182, you are perfecly leagle to hop into a Caravan. They are both single engine, high performance aircraft.

Theoreticaly you could get your PPL multi in a senneca, and fly SIC in a 747.

I didn't say it was wise or safe, just legale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The airlines do care, but it would be up to them to decide how much helo time to count. Some count it all, some don't count any of it.

WOW, very cool to have you on the boards. Do you think you'd have the time to write a perspective (see www.jetcareers.com main page) about your path to the Blackhawk? I've always been very facinated about Army aviation, and have been tossing the idea around for years to pursue service in some form or fashion as a US Army Helo driver.

I can see a sweet career developing... US Army MH-6 or UH-60 pilot to NYPD Aviation... ok I'll stop dreaming.

Anyhow, I'd like to hear about your experiences. I had two buddies from college who were Army Reserve CH-46 pilots. Sadly lost one overseas from a SAM missile. They were both commanding each of the Chinooks in the two-ship flight.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey brian, I have some I'll show you when we go flying ok...

[/ QUOTE ]

Allright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back