ICT - C500 down

Not sure where it went down, exactly, but I flew UPS 918 SDF-ONT this morning and we went over ICT about 4am. Clear and a million with no hint of convective weather.

I've got some time in the Cessna 500 series jets and they're probably among the most forgiving airplanes out there. Assuming weather was good like our UPS friend says and all other factors being equal, I can only guess that it might have been a fuel imbalance (I've heard some horror stories of people forgetting they were transferring from one side, but all cases were recoverable) or nose baggage door popping open. I'd be quite interested to see what comes out of the investigation.

Wow, RIP. I did some freelance PR and marketing for this pastor's publicist when I was living in Nashville a few years back. I booked the guy on a few radio shows.

I've got some time in the Cessna 500 series jets and they're probably among the most forgiving airplanes out there. Assuming weather was good like our UPS friend says and all other factors being equal, I can only guess that it might have been a fuel imbalance (I've heard some horror stories of people forgetting they were transferring from one side, but all cases were recoverable) or nose baggage door popping open. I'd be quite interested to see what comes out of the investigation.
They took off from Wichita at 10:07, were climbing out and reached about 16,500' (last report). Then the RADAR lost the plane and first 911 calls around 10:15. No real time for fuel transfer and the plane will still fly with the nose door open. This one has me baffled..........

One wing was seen falliing away from the plane just prior to impact.

EDIT: Wing found 1.5 miles from impact site

Last edited:
They took off from Wichita at 10:07, were climbing out and reached about 16,500' (last report). Then the RADAR lost the plane and first 911 calls around 10:15. No real time for fuel transfer and the plane will still fly with the nose door open. This one has me baffled..........

One wing was seen falliing away from the plane just prior to impact.

EDIT: Wing found 1.5 miles from impact site
Sweet genius, gonna be interesting to hear what made a citation shed a wing. That kind of thing is AFAIK pretty much unheard of for biz jets.

This is blowing my mind. We all know that random reports from people on the ground can be totally bogus, but finding the wing 1.5 miles away is chilling. I will refer to my first comment, what in the hell happened!? I can't imagine anything other than a severe thunderstorm, or extreme turbulence, being strong enough to rip a Citation wing off... My guess is you would be hard pressed to over G one to the point of catastrophic structural failure.

You forgot "sad veil of tears".

Honestly, a pastor in a citation. Well, at least it's not a camel. I hope he meets St. Peter with his head held high and his rolex hidden.
i'm not defending the guy, because if I ever have to put one more drop of Jet A in Benny Hinn's G-V I'll kill him, but sometimes it does make sense for a church pastor to fly around in a business jet.
Joyce Meyer for example leases a Challenger 60x... she's even said on her TV show that it looks bad on the surface, but the amount of people she stuffs into it makes it cheaper than buying them all airline tickets. She then flies on to the next city to do her revival thingy... I've fueled it back when I was line crew, and it's not oppulent.

Benny Hinn on the other hand had the nicest G-V I've ever seen... one day on his show he was begging for money to get it a new paintjob and I nearly threw up. He had a fully stocked bar and his crew said he was a HUGE POS.

Back