Should I get an aviation degree in college?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

GrifGod

So I'm a senior in high school this year and I have my sights set on flying for one of the major airlines. I've always loved airplanes and took a discovery flight recently and absolutely loved it! I've applied to most of the big time aviation schools (ERAU, UND, WMU, Lewis, SIU, ASU, Purdue) and been accepted to all of them. I've been doing a lot of research throughout the past few months about whether to get a degree in flight, or just study something else as a back up and do flight training during summers and after college. It almost seems that it's about 50/50 now after the 1000 hour rule has been passed. It's very intriguing that 1/3 of the hour reqs are wiped out. On the other hand, if you get furloughed in this business, you're kind of screwed if you only have a degree in aviation. My solution to this is double majoring while in college. Get a flight degree, as well as a degree in another area. I was wondering if any of you have double majored and received some type of flight degree on top of something in another area? Is the work load impossible or manageable? Do you have to be really smart to do this? Do the airlines care? Is it a lot of extra money? Can you still finish flight training (get all your ratings etc.) in four years if you double major? These are just a few questions that I can come up with right now. Feel free to pm me if you like. Any input would be awesome, thanks guys!

Back