I lost/am losing my job HELP Do's and Dont's

A favorite of mine is hearing from somebody you haven’t talked to in AGES simply because they want help.

Them: “Hey man! How you been? How’s the family?”
My inner monologue: “oh boy, here it comes.”
Them after a tiny bit of small talk: “so how’s things at *company*?”

I might be a bit of an idealist, but the way this whole thing is supposed to work is that you get to know people who you think would be a good fit at your current place. They don’t have to be the bestest of friends, but there should at least be a relationship there, an occasional check in even if you don’t heed something.

I won’t write a recommendation where I wouldn’t feel comfortable answering a call or email from HR about the person. In my opinion, doing that waters down the intent of a recommendation and is unfair to those who really deserve it.

The best is when they do all of this, but call you by the wrong name.

I mean, sure. The conversation isn't about being a lifer is smart. Simply the lifers are gonna sit back again and tell FO's "you know those United FO's told me the same thing you're telling me, and I don't know, while they were on the street working TSA I was doing this" and they're doing it again today.

I think we're all in the same boat, looking at a furlough. I'm happy I'm furloughed and going back to SJI if they ever hire again, so I can go do TSA or learn to weld professionally like I really want, until I get called back.

I get it, lifers gonna life and not realize they shouldn't have until the company closes its doors. Precarious situation of course and entirely personal. If you work for a regional, make decent money and live in base, I couldn't imagine trying to move on. If I was at RAH now instead of C5 with a PIT base and flying a 170, I'd probably be content like a few of my RAH friends.

I commute to a regional and finally have the qualifications (hopefully) to get out whenever this all stops. If I gotta commute, I'm not going to stay at the regional if I can help it. I have a feeling that decision will be made by other forces this time, but I'm hopeful that it's not going to come true.

The lack of common sense people have is pretty surprising sometimes

Some people are simply not on the same wavelength as the rest of humanity. When I first went 121, it really surprised me how high the number of these people there are flying planes.

They don’t get. They never have. Now they upgrade and have authority basically guaranteeing that they never will get it. Shame.

A favorite of mine is hearing from somebody you haven’t talked to in AGES simply because they want help.

Them: “Hey man! How you been? How’s the family?”
My inner monologue: “oh boy, here it comes.”
Them after a tiny bit of small talk: “so how’s things at *company*?”

I might be a bit of an idealist, but the way this whole thing is supposed to work is that you get to know people who you think would be a good fit at your current place. They don’t have to be the bestest of friends, but there should at least be a relationship there, an occasional check in even if you don’t heed something.

I won’t write a recommendation where I wouldn’t feel comfortable answering a call or email from HR about the person. In my opinion, doing that waters down the intent of a recommendation and is unfair to those who really deserve it.

I love it when it’s a former colleague and you obviously didn’t like each other but you both remained professional around each other because that’s what adults do. Then they message you five years later like you ever wanted to hear from them again.

I love it when it’s a former colleague and you obviously didn’t like each other but you both remained professional around each other because that’s what adults do. Then they message you five years later like you ever wanted to hear from them again.

Flew with a flight attendant at my last job, always in trouble in one way or another. Just not a great person. Fast forward a few years I get a message from her “hey, I got in some trouble and need a character reference.”

Hard no.

Flew with a flight attendant at my last job, always in trouble in one way or another. Just not a great person. Fast forward a few years I get a message from her “hey, I got in some trouble and need a character reference.”

Hard no.
Listen, I was a little drunk and angry, and who hasn't been there! I've known you for years online what do you mean hard no! Damn you emu!

While you guys can laugh and make fun of this stuff, this whole fiasco is due to the LOR B.S. that exists in our industry. Be honest, how many guys do you know (or have you) written LORs for after just one jumpseat with them? After flying just once with them? Never have flown with them, but they are your buddy so you do it anyway? (MANY people are different characters in the flight deck than in normal everyday life). A real LOR should be someone who knows you for years and has flown with you several/many times, and someone you can vouch for. So when a guy flouts 10+ LORs, I know he’s full of ****. And proof is also in the pudding, first-year guys hired at legacy carriers are a huge demographic of handing out LORs.

It’s a stupid game. Game, but stupid nonetheless.

While you guys can laugh and make fun of this stuff, this whole fiasco is due to the LOR B.S. that exists in our industry. Be honest, how many guys do you know (or have you) written LORs for after just one jumpseat with them? After flying just once with them? Never have flown with them, but they are your buddy so you do it anyway? (MANY people are different characters in the flight deck than in normal everyday life). A real LOR should be someone who knows you for years and has flown with you several/many times, and someone you can vouch for. So when a guy flouts 10+ LORs, I know he’s full of ****. And proof is also in the pudding, first-year guys hired at legacy carriers are a huge demographic of handing out LORs.

It’s a stupid game. Game, but stupid nonetheless.
I think you're overestimating the power of LORs. For every guy that you claim skirts the system that way I can think of a million great, well connected people that can't get a call despite having mountains of LORs. And even then you're still going through the same HR gauntlet that everyone complains about too.

I think you're overestimating the power of LORs. For every guy that you claim skirts the system that way I can think of a million great, well connected people that can't get a call despite having mountains of LORs. And even then you're still going through the same HR gauntlet that everyone complains about too.

Easy solution too, just ask the applicant or recommender more about the other person.

Easy solution too, just ask the applicant or recommender more about the other person.
Same boat. If I don't know more about someone than a vague notion and they're name I don't recommend them. Recommended too many people that turned out to be weirdos.

Same boat. If I don't know more about someone than a vague notion and they're name I don't recommend them. Recommended too many people that turned out to be weirdos.

You are the part of the problem then. "Too many"? Why not just a few? LORs have lost their meaning in the pilot profession.

It's just a layer of cheese. The letter is a hole. It's just one of many layers but it is a layer none the less.

Hard no.

Same situation but different career field. This person actually worked on a couple of occasions to throw ME "under the bus" in the old job. Present supervisor came to me and asked my impression of the person. Gave them an honest perspective which was essentially skilled but NOT a team player. Supervisor <raised eyebrow> smiled and walked away. Came back later and told me he didn't hire the person. Was equally surprised they actually put me down AS A REFERENCE! They irony, which made me feel good, was my supervisor and I fight like cats and dogs. People. . .

Back