How often do you...

How often do you brief your airframe's go around profile/procedures during your approach briefings?

• Never

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Rarely

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Frequently

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Always

Votes: 15 19.5%

• Total voters
Brake temps? Window sliding open? Thrust not set? :)

Surely you jest. Unless you're trolling, then I gotta check that IP.

See my above post, Doug. Those would be good items to brief before a takeoff if you'd like. My problem is repeating over and over the same ole same ole until you're no longer being heard.

And you can check my IP. Going onto my vpn now.

Another over-briefed item. "Standard reject criteria" will suffice. What you reject for or when never really changes. "Below v1 I'll reject for anything." Yeah. We know. That's the point of v1.

And "standard reject criteria" is including the RTO in the brief.

I'm all for using "standard reject criteria" so long as everybody up front knows exactly what those criteria are.

My fleet has had an average of 40+ high speed RTOs a month. Those RTOs are in direct contradiction to our "standard reject criteria". Seems like a lack of understanding as to what the criteria are these days...

I'm all for using "standard reject criteria" so long as everybody up front knows exactly what those criteria are.

My fleet has had an average of 40+ high speed RTOs a month. Those RTOs are in direct contradiction to our "standard reject criteria". Seems like a lack of understanding as to what the criteria are these days...
Sorry to hear that. Your training dept needs standardization perhaps.

See my above post, Doug. Those would be good items to brief before a takeoff if you'd like. My problem is repeating over and over the same ole same ole until you're no longer being heard.

And you can check my IP. Going onto my vpn now.

No worries, you're not who I thought you might be, but you do know just for the future, VPNs and masking login data don't actually work the way you think they do, but whatever makes you comfortable, more power and all that.

I figure I'll do what the boss-man says do, because he pays me to do it his way and it's his jet.

Unless, of course, I find a few hundred million dollars in an empty can of Yuban in the front yard to buy my own Airbus, I'll just do it.

No worries, you're not who I thought you might be, but you do know just for the future, VPNs and masking login data don't actually work the way you think they do, but whatever makes you comfortable, more power and all that.

I figure I'll do what the boss-man says do, because he pays me to do it his way and it's his jet.

Unless, of course, I find a few hundred million dollars in an empty can of Yuban in the front yard to buy my own Airbus, I'll just do it.
Never said don't follow company procedure. Follow company procedure. Is it company procedure to brief how to do a go around?

In fact, just for convenience, I have the "big brief" items on the background of my surface. Most of them are "first leg" only items, but a convenient place to quickly refer to them if need be:

Screenshot (9).png

I don't see any need to brief standard profiles and normal procedures/callouts. At that point, the brief is getting long to the point the other guy isn't listening. YMMV at your specific airline for what's required.

Last edited:
The most spectacular foul-ups are typically an intermediate go-around. A little food for thought...

The last time I did a go around at about 1,000', which is something we see every once in a while in the sim, and I was STILL spring loaded to scream "GO AROUND FLAPS 2!" which came out more like, "Go ar...well...it's not really...flaps....awe **** it, *click*click*click*click* I'm flying, flight level change and heading.

Copy that. Thats tolerable for one leg. If this stuff is being read off on leg 6 then we just don't see eye to eye.

The moment the VP of Flight Operations calls and asks my opinion, I'll certainly offer one! :)

However, I don't have the non-emergency authority to choose which procedure I will not follow solely for convenience or "Doing the Han Solo".

The moment the VP of Flight Operations calls and asks my opinion, I'll certainly offer one! :)

However, I don't have the non-emergency authority to choose which procedure I will not follow solely for convenience or "Doing the Han Solo".
K.

Every once in a while when an FO gives me the TO brief I will ask, "What is CRJ standard?" Sometimes I will get the deer in the headlights stare back.

Briefing how to do a go-around is the same as briefing how to take-off.. "Ok, you'll call V1 and Vr and I'll pullback then you say positive rate.. Any questions"

Don't brief how to fly a plane please, people.

Actually it's different. Every time you go to fly, you take off. But you don't do a go around on every landing. That's why you brief it. In a 21 year career so far, I've only had a rejected landing/ go around maybe 5-6 times on the line.

Besides, if you're tier 1 material, that's what you do.

Another over-briefed item. "Standard reject criteria" will suffice. What you reject for or when never really changes. "Below v1 I'll reject for anything." Yeah. We know. That's the point of v1.
I certainly WILL NOT abort for anything below V1. I will consider an abort below V1 for any Amber CAUTION or red WARNING, and state "CONTINUE or ABORT" based on my decision.

Sorry to hear that. Your training dept needs standardization perhaps.

So, pilots not knowing their reject criteria and not following their "standard reject criteria" from the brief is a training department problem.

Gotcha. :rolleyes:

I bet that goes over really well during a carpet dance.

I certainly WILL NOT abort for anything below V1. I will consider an abort below V1 for any Amber CAUTION or red WARNING, and state "CONTINUE or ABORT" based on my decision.

At my old airline we had a dude abort just prior to V1 because of an anti-skid caution (._. )

The chief pilot's email on the matter called him a "potential darwin award winner."

Back