How much does it all cost?

gurisudenko

I contacted my admissions counselor at Embry-Riddle the other day, and I asked her if she had any idea how much the 1st class medical exam generally costs. She said it could be anywhere between $50-$250, depending on who you go to. Is this true? She said she wasn't quite sure.

[ QUOTE ]
I contacted my admissions counselor at Embry-Riddle the other day, and I asked her if she had any idea how much the 1st class medical exam generally costs. She said it could be anywhere between $50-$250, depending on who you go to. Is this true? She said she wasn't quite sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been paying $100 for First Class Medicals recently...

Thanks! You saved me a little time. I still have to call about 15 doctor's offices...

It's not going to get easier, huh? The whole pilot thing...hehehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/spin2.gif

If you're in Goodyear, go to:

Dr. Joe Battersby
1413 N. 16th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85006
(602) 258-3569

Hours: Daily 9 to 12 - 1:30 to 5/Thursday 9 to 12

Old school, realistic, but tends to chain smoke, but he's absolutely kickass and $85.

You actually go into the medical feeling good and come out feeling better. They're really good people at his office. I highly suggest him.

Thanks you guys! You're making it so much easier for me!

...I should come here more often. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/spin2.gif

I just got mine about a month ago, and it cost a whoppin' $65. It really depends on what the AME wants to charge.

I pay $80 for a very old man to stick a light in my eyes and a tongue depressor in my mouth and then declare me fit to fly.

[ QUOTE ]
I pay $80 for a very old man to stick a light in my eyes and a tongue depressor in my mouth and then declare me fit to fly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevermind your personal life, the question is where you get your medical! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(I kid, I kid, I'm a kidder!)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to go to Dr. Ritter. He's an AME on-field at PRC that'll give you a medical even if you walked in with half your arm missing. 75 bucks for 1st class last time I was in there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good Luck at Riddle and get ready to open that checkbook up....They are one of the more expensive flight schools....You should shop around your education too...

This begs a question

Why is everyone getting a first class medical? The second class suffices for everything you all need to be doing at this stage in your careers ... I don't even need a first class, but since I know you will all ask Yes I get a first class but only once a year, and once they require an EKG I'll only get the second class and save my employer the extra money. Side note: I get an EKG every year with the my Military Flight Physical. Is someone implying that a First Class will get you a job over a Second Class? Just curious.

Jim

I think primarily because you want to outright know you have the ability to obtain a first class medical. I don't know if it's urban legend or not, but there was always the story of the CFII who went for his ATP checkride and wasn't able to medically qualify for a class one.

I got a first class b/c ATP, MAPD, etc want you to have one for the interview/beginning of training. I probably won't keep it a first class until I have an interview with a regional, though.

If all I was doing was flight instructing (no photo flights, ferry flights, etc), I'd let it go all the way down to third class.

Also, if you're applying for jobs, regionals require you to have a first, but can be downgraded. Some charter companies want a first also. Beginning students some people say should get a 1st to make sure there's nothing that will stop them, but it depends on your AME, some barely check to see if you have a pulse, so who does that help at that stage? If their next AME is a hard-a$$, then they're SOL anyways.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you need a 1st class medical to go to Riddle?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of aviation schools require you to have a 1st class so they know that you are able to get one in the first place. Screws up their "hired" brochures if you can only get a second. Plus, it would seriously suck to pay all that $$$ only to realize you have a medical DQer for the 1st class.

[ QUOTE ]
Why is everyone getting a first class medical?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I can't answer for everyone, but for myself I had to go through such [censored] to get my 3rd class medical, that I really just wanted to know if I could get a 1st class.

That way I know what will be a realistic goal (i.e. pro pilot etc) will be later on.

I let my 1st lapse to a 2nd and decided to renew it, but could've easily let it go down to a 3rd.

Also a lot of the academies like FSI require a 1st class med for admissions.

Naunga

Get the First Class medical.

On my initial application for a First Class medical, I wasn't qualified and had to get a medical flight waiver for vision (took an entire year for the process) and had to do extra testing for a congenital heart murmur.

This was pre-solo back in 1987 and it was almost a 'career moment'. Luckily, if I had to 'wrap it up' because of my inability to qualify for a First Class physical, all I had invested at that point is a lot of dreams and a Jepessen Private Pilot ground school kit.

I got issued a Second Class OK, while waiting for the paperwork to process.

The mumur went away in 8 months, and I finally got my sh*t together vision-wise so I didn't need to use the medical flight waiver any more -- but if I was a fresh graduate of flight school with a fist full of loan payment coupons and couldn't qualify for a First Class physical, it would have sucked.

Trust me, get the first class physical day one. That way, you'll have time to clear up any maladies you might have or learn early enough if you're going to even be able to qualify to be a part-121 pilot.

I passed my first first class...er....premier first class FAA medical exam! Dr. Battersby says I'm in excellent health! Yay!

Thanks for the recommendation, Doug! Those people were awesome! Mike and I got plenty of candy and stickers after everything was said and done. Do they give YOU candy and stickers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back