How do you land?

I go in at full power, pointing the nose towards the numbers. I try to come in around 95 knots if possible. Once in ground affect, I chop the power and pull back.

Then I do a power slide to a stop.

This thread has made me realize just how much I need to learn, and try new stuff. It seems that at the private level, there's all these "guidelines"....power to 2,000RPM abeam the numbers, 1650RPM base, etc. In reality, none of these numbers mean anything, and are probably just used to give pre-solo students a starting point. I'm usually throttled way back miles out. Just how I learned. I guess that's also a good way to piss off ATC....:o

This thread has made me realize just how much I need to learn, and try new stuff. It seems that at the private level, there's all these "guidelines"....power to 2,000RPM abeam the numbers, 1650RPM base, etc. In reality, none of these numbers mean anything, and are probably just used to give pre-solo students a starting point. I'm usually throttled way back miles out. Just how I learned. I guess that's also a good way to piss off ATC....:o
The numbers given to me work for me in the pattern very well. However I seem to be getting alot of straight in approaches lately, and am learning new power settings.

If your runway is greater than, say 4000 feet, please stop practicing short field landings when even slightly faster planes are in the pattern. It's all fun and games for you, but if I have to pour on the coals, that's another five minutes on the delivery time of the freight. They actually care about that. I know, I know, but they do. For the most part, controllers do a fantastic job of keeping the trainers out out of everyone else's way, but if I'm doing 250 five miles out, it's not for fun. Not to say I don't understand, I've been the guy in a 152 who gets offended that someone else is flying directly up my wazoo. But show a little courtesy. Yes, the runway is your's. No, services shouldn't be predicated on landing weight. But hey, CFIs, if someone is flying up your hindquarters, consider the possibility that it's not because they just think it would be fun to make you angry. Do what you have to, absolutely, but if you CAN switch to a shorter runway or make the first turnoff, do me a favor. Not cause I'm "better than you", just cause it's polite and isn't a hardship to you.

PS. I hasten to add that when the only aircraft in the pattern are capable of slowing down, do what you need to. You don't need to speed up for a Duchess or even a Baron, for the most part. A Falcon? Maybe let's make this one a go-around?

If your runway is greater than, say 4000 feet, please stop practicing short field landings when even slightly faster planes are in the pattern. It's all fun and games for you, but if I have to pour on the coals, that's another five minutes on the delivery time of the freight. They actually care about that. I know, I know, but they do. For the most part, controllers do a fantastic job of keeping the trainers out out of everyone else's way, but if I'm doing 250 five miles out, it's not for fun. Not to say I don't understand, I've been the guy in a 152 who gets offended that someone else is flying directly up my wazoo. But show a little courtesy. Yes, the runway is your's. No, services shouldn't be predicated on landing weight. But hey, CFIs, if someone is flying up your hindquarters, consider the possibility that it's not because they just think it would be fun to make you angry. Do what you have to, absolutely, but if you CAN switch to a shorter runway or make the first turnoff, do me a favor. Not cause I'm "better than you", just cause it's polite and isn't a hardship to you.

PS. I hasten to add that when the only aircraft in the pattern are capable of slowing down, do what you need to. You don't need to speed up for a Duchess or even a Baron, for the most part. A Falcon? Maybe let's make this one a go-around?
I always try and get out of the way of bigger aircraft. Whenever the DC-6, PC-7, and Commander would come in, I would get out of their way.:)

Ctab can vouch for me on this one: Power 29"-11" to 50ft (Depending on how much of a freight dog you are) Then start walking the power back. Touch mains then hold the nose off for as long as possible (especially if you are with the CP on a checkride), then once the nose touches, don't touch the brakes or you stop in the next ten feet and all the boxes by the door slide to the front and you have to work to get the cargo out. OR you can hit the brakes hard and use up only about 900 feet of runway.

I always try and get out of the way of bigger aircraft. Whenever the DC-6, PC-7, and Commander would come in, I would get out of their way.:)

You're the exception at UAA (its true, I've heard you do it), I've gone around about 10 times this year for 2SP. CAP is even worse, they'll land the Beaver at the lowest possible airspeed imaginable when here are three Navajos coming up their tailpipe.

Generally in the Citations we bring the power to idle at '50.
No, no, no... You're doing it all wrong.

200 knots to 4 mile final. Power idle. Speed Brakes. Flaps Approach and Gear down. Flaps to land around 500'. Speed brakes retract around 100'...flare as normal.

Works every time.:nana2::panic::bandit::rawk:

-mini

In the Q4...you must must must land with power...or else everyone thinks you're a navy pilot.

Flaps 35, you're going to need anywhere from 18%-25% power (depending on weight)...and very little flare (3/4 degrees at most)...and even then it's a combination of good luck, head tilt and how much tounge you have stuck out of your mouth (I prefer the Michael Jordan, full tounge for a dunk method).

Flaps 15...if you pull the power, you're going to hit the tail and do a carpet dance...I hear that's no fun, but I can't land Flaps 15...

Whatever the manual instructs.

Varies significantly between types, and there's really no point in being a test pilot.

I don't like to brag, but I typically drop it like it is hot......I drop it like it is.... hawt.

Red line the tach on the GS, until 100 AGL kill the power, hold pitch, flaps 10 at 105, flaps 30 at 90. Add a smidge of power for a second at 15 agl, land, make the first turn off 900' down the runway.

Thats how you can do 130 down the pipe in a 172 and not hold up traffic too much behind you.

Red line the tach on the GS, until 100 AGL kill the power, hold pitch, flaps 10 at 105, flaps 30 at 90. Add a smidge of power for a second at 15 agl, land, make the first turn off 900' down the runway.

Thats how you can do 130 down the pipe in a 172 and not hold up traffic too much behind you.

Typical KBGR procedure... :D:D

I will have to keep that in mind when doing ILS approaches to ANC so I dont make Polar, Velo, and those fancy jet pilots mad:nana2:

Engine management?

I wish you were my captain. I try to do that and he pushes 'em back up "so we don't flame out". :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

-mini
Depending on the engine that might be a possibility. On the 35s the fuel computers keep the speeds up in the thinner air.

Back