How do you land?

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
Power on or power off? Discuss.

I like to be power off when the mains touch, even in high-performance sleds just because I think the least thrust is best.

Start swiping the power off at 50 ft so that it hits idle right before the mains touch. If the thrust levers aren't at idle the ground spoilers aren't coming out (until you bounce, then bring the thrust levers to idle, which sends you smashing onto the runway).

Every flight manual I've ever come across says idle thrust at touchdown.

Having thrust applied during the flare will ALWAYS lead to floating...trust me, I've been along for the ride.

And since I always fly by the manual, there's your answer.

Close your eyes, pull back on the yoke, and when the FO (or Captain) screams...pull back more. The rest will work itself out.

Depends on the airplane...

CRJ2: Got to go to idle right at 50 ft or that sucker will float like crazy. Can't do the same in the CR7/9, or that sucker will drop like a rock.

Both of the little bugmashers I fly will float for a mile if I don't have power out when entering the flare.

Depends on the airplane...

CRJ2: Got to go to idle right at 50 ft or that sucker will float like crazy. Can't do the same in the CR7/9, or that sucker will drop like a rock.

THAT my friend is correct.....;) In the CRJ-900 I'll be just about at idle at the 10 feet callout, not any sooner.

ERJ-

There aren't any altitude RA callouts but I know over the end of the RWY we're approx 50'. All things being equal I'll bring them back so they're at idle when we touch and I fly the plane onto the ground. Ground effect, then push forward a little and bingo.

The other prevalent method is keep power on, hold the plane off, hold the plane off then pull the power back...Keep the nose up....Let the mains touch...then yank back as hard as you can to keep the nose in the air as long as you can.

172 RG manual says power out at 50' (obstacle). Don't do that. In the DA20 I'd have the power out at 1,000' AGL sometimes, and still float 2,000'. The DA42 was good with power at 15%-20% until just before flare, would give you a nice float for 300'-500' to hit your spot. I usually keep the slighest power in on the A36 until the wheels almost touch. Add all your drag factors up and It'll sink pretty predictably, just make sure you know the glide profile and keep your 110 +/- (Vg) on the way down or you'll have zero flair. The feeling of running out of elevator sucks.

There's always an exception to the rule. The Twin Comanche always seemed happier with just a smidge of power left in until the wheels were on the ground.

The other prevalent method is keep power on, hold the plane off, hold the plane off then pull the power back...Keep the nose up....Let the mains touch...then yank back as hard as you can to keep the nose in the air as long as you can.

You forgot

"...and watch the end the runway rapidly get closer and closer."

:)

Power on or power off? Discuss.

I like to be power off when the mains touch, even in high-performance sleds just because I think the least thrust is best.

Rubber or Float equipment pointed downwards. ;)
Depends on the airplane & situation, power on with everything that requires a greaser, power off with everything that involves 90-180-360 power offs.

Generally, power IDLE. I used to land the Arrow with a smidge of power to smooth out its tendency to hit like a sack of bricks. But Cessnas and especially Diamonds I land with power out.

Generally, power IDLE. I used to land the Arrow with a smidge of power to smooth out its tendency to hit like a sack of bricks. But Cessnas and especially Diamonds I land with power out.

Sack of bricks, you got that right. I found it impossible to keep the arrows' nosewheel off everytime just about. kaklunk!:panic:

There's always an exception to the rule. The Twin Comanche always seemed happier with just a smidge of power left in until the wheels were on the ground.

Power off in most small planes I have flown, the Twinkie being one of the exceptions. It is so low to the ground and nose heavy that it is easy to wheelbarrow if you don't keep a hint of power in.

Just a private pilot here, but I was always taught power to idle when you know you can make the runway.

In the Q you have to land with power, especially with flaps 15. I actually add a little power in the flare with flaps 15 since you can't flare much or else you might strike the tail. Flare a little bit, then add a little bit of power to try and soften the blow. That airplane is so hard to land.

In the Saab I landed with power at idle with Hamilton Standard props, and almost at idle with Dowty props.

Back