High-Altitude Endorsement

61.31g. find me an unpressurized A/C that can operate above 250, i have yet to find one

It is not the lack of pressurization that prevents an unpressurized aircraft from going above FL250. It is the cost of certifying that aircraft above FL250.

Mooney Acclaim 25000
Piper Matrix 25000
Cirrus SR22-G3 25000
Cessna 400 25000

Is it just by chance that all those have a ceiling of 25000?

I think the question should be, why do you think you need this so-called high-altitude endorsement? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you'll ever be asked for that endorsement on you resume or in an interview. I think if saw that on an applicant's resume I would laugh and toss it in the round file.

It is not a "so called" high altitude endorsement. As stated before, you need it to act as PIC of certain aircraft.

I am to lazy to look it up right now but I am pretty sure the AND should be an OR.
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/media/ac 61-107a.pdf

That AC addresses high altitude and high speed operations. In there, they say that
"14 CFR section 61.31(g) applies only to pilots who fly pressurized airplanes with a service ceiling or maximum operating altitude above 25,000 feet MSL, whichever is lower"

(Chapter 1 100 a)

Therefore, those oddball unpressurized airplanes that can go above 25,000 and those not-so-uncommon pressurized airplanes that can't go above 25,000 (Pressurized Baron being one of them) DO NOT require a high altitude endorsement. Should you get training for these aircraft and operations? Probably. Are you legally required to? No.

I think the question should be, why do you think you need this so-called high-altitude endorsement? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you'll ever be asked for that endorsement on you resume or in an interview. I think if saw that on an applicant's resume I would laugh and toss it in the round file.

I don't think I need it. I was just asking a question because I am studying for an oral and a checkride.

Thanks to everyone else for the replies.

So would the high alt. endorsement be something one would need to have to apply for a regional or cargo gig?

Seems to me the most likely reason to need high-altitude would be a corporate or private flying gig in something like a King Air.

would you guys shell out a few hundred to get this or would be a waste of money?

If you have the endorsement, you most likely also have experience flying high performance airplanes with a pressurization system, in which case that experience is more valuable that the actual endorsement. Imagine a 12,000 hour airline captain with 4 type ratings listing his complex endorsement in his resume...

Basically, my rule of thumb is that if you are a low time pilot, or someone who has little experience flying anything bigger than a C-172, then go ahead and list your endorsements on your resume. It shows you are at least acquainted with the semi-big stuff (Navajos, Barons, and those kind of planes). If you have turbine experience, those endorsements are kind of assumed. Adding them to your resume in that case, may come off as adding "filler fluff".

On the other hand, if you just just have the endorsement, but no actual experience flying a high altitude airplane, its really not going to be an advantage because the act of obtaining the high altitude endorsement requires an hour or so of ground school, and a flight or two, which you're going to get anyways during new-hire training. In other words, at the "big planes" level of the aviation career (turboprops and jets), logbook endorsements are meaningless.

That said, only a petty ####### would actually throw away a perfectly good resume if the person did happen to list his/her hp/complex/ha endorsements.

I snagged a gig because I had the endorsement way back when I had a CMEL and prior to going thru my first real airplane initial.

And if you have it prior to doing a type in the actual airplane, then you shouldn't have to do the high-dive.

If you ever have the chance to do a altitude chamber, get on it. Very eye opening experience.

Back