High-Altitude Endorsement

I think the question should be, why do you think you need this so-called high-altitude endorsement? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you'll ever be asked for that endorsement on you resume or in an interview. I think if saw that on an applicant's resume I would laugh and toss it in the round file.

Fins,

This is a very much legitimate and legally required endorsement for acting as PIC of a pressurized airplane that has a service ceiling/max operating altitude greater the 25,000ft.

As another poster pointed out, you can find all you need to know about it in 61.31. It's listed along with other additional endorsements...such as Complex and High Performace.

The resaon why few people actually have a high performace endorsement though is because you are exempt from needing one under several circumstances. One of which is:

"Completing a pilot-in-command proficiency check under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter conducted by the Administrator or by an approved pilot check airman.".

You'll more commonly find them in logbooks of pilots who's first left seat position in a high altitude/pressurized aircraft was at a Part 91 gig.

Back