Hawaiian Window Opening (Feb 8th)

Alaska does daily I think. Gets in around 7pm so you'd be coming in the night before. Goes home as a red eye so you'd be getting home the next day. Really no worse than commuting from any other west coast city with only one (offline) flight per day. I think they do Maui also (seasonally) so you'd have a second option some times.

In a former life this was my plan for the summer months. AS has at least one daily flight from ANC, and if you really got into trouble you could scoot down to SEA then there are flights to pretty much everywhere. The winter months would obviously be spent in HI...

I got the "reviewing applications" email but haven't heard a TBNT yet... I'm assuming I would have heard if it was the opposite.

I put my app in as per usual the last 3 windows. 3.5k, multiple Internal recs, 121 pic, NGPA twice. TBNT.

Told my girlfriend to put one in even though she has interview at her #1, she threw some stuff in the app and fired it off. 3.2k hours, no pic, no recs, 1 NGPA visit. Come on out for an interview.

Interesting experiment.

Dislike.
#diversityinthecockpit
But good for her I suppose.
I'm sorry man.

I put my app in as per usual the last 3 windows. 3.5k, multiple Internal recs, 121 pic, NGPA twice. TBNT.

Told my girlfriend to put one in even though she has interview at her #1, she threw some stuff in the app and fired it off. 3.2k hours, no pic, no recs, 1 NGPA visit. Come on out for an interview.

Interesting experiment.

Hawaiian seems to be big on personality and attitude. Number of hours, PIC, etc. sometimes takes the back burner to how well they think you will get along with instructors and the pilot group. Also, those questions that they ask you in the online application may hold more weight than you would think.

Hawaiian seems to be big on personality and attitude. Number of hours, PIC, etc. sometimes takes the back burner to how well they think you will get along with instructors and the pilot group. Also, those questions that they ask you in the online application may hold more weight than you would think.

She copied and pasted my online app answers with some small keyword variation, that really leaves one variable here.

Fairly universal these days.

Quantitative comparisons such as who has the most PIC and total have been de emphasized compared to a decade or two ago.

Some, but not all carriers (and I have no idea about Hawaiian because I don't know anyone on that team) basically use the flight time as "Is this candidate qualified?" and then qualitatively look at their application without a huge amount of regard on the quantitative things like flight time.

The internet says, "she's a woman!" however it's much more likely she's got a killer application that is easy to read that tells her "story" well.

My friend has spoken to a lot of high time pilots with loads of PIC whose applications looked like they were completed in the middle of the night using an iPhone while riding a Greyhound bus where the battery died and the applicant thought, "Well, that's enough I guess".

The internet says, "she's a woman!" however it's much more likely she's got a killer application that is easy to read that tells her "story" well.

Except he SAID they actually just copied his resume with a few keyword changes.

It doesn't sound like it's the internet, tiger. Sounds like it's an actual case of discrimination to meet "diversity." AKA the cool new thing to do.

"Said"… on the internet. Which I can say I'm going to mow the lawn, doesn't necessarily mean I did a good job! :)

Well, take it one more step and file a suit. Or work on yo' stuff, keep it positive and get the job.

Seriously have to choose one or the other in the age of social media because people are watching. Umm, Tiger? Rawwr.

I'm not making a judgement on whatever in the world happened here, I'm offering you a look over the proverbial "castle wall" of how some of this stuff works. If you don't care, don't muddy the water for those that do.

Quantitative comparisons such as who has the most PIC and total have been de emphasized compared to a decade or two ago.

Some, but not all carriers (and I have no idea about Hawaiian because I don't know anyone on that team) basically use the flight time as "Is this candidate qualified?" and then qualitatively look at their application without a huge amount of regard on the quantitative things like flight time.

My friend has spoken to a lot of high time pilots with loads of PIC whose applications looked like they were completed in the middle of the night using an iPhone while riding a Greyhound bus where the battery died and the applicant thought, "Well, that's enough I guess".

Hawaiian doesn't use airlineapps. It's on their own website. And if it's anything like it was when I applied a loooong time ago, it's simple, straightforward, and hardly any place to stumble. Unlike AirlineApps.

Sigh. Please read before responding. Otherwise, we end up with another "United Hates Leggings and FORCES Little Girls Off Jet"

Yes, I get that. The response was to "more likely she's got a killer application that is easy to read that tells her "story" well."

That there is Airlineapp talk.

At least when I filled out the HAL app a long time ago, there really wasn't much of a story-time type format that Airlineapps likes to do. It was a straightforward application. And assuming it is answered honestly to the question/piece of information asked, there wasn't anywhere to stumble on. Her app should "read" no differently than his app. Hopefully one day the time will come that DL, AA, and UA take the pilot application process all in-house and a pilot applies there. Just like it is at Spirit, Frontier, jetBlue, Hawaiian, Alaska, UPS.

Yes, I get that. The response was to "more likely she's got a killer application that is easy to read that tells her "story" well."

That's something my friend uses when he looks at a maddeningly ridiculous resume. Same source of "you are your cover letter, your resume is your brochure, your application is your biography".

At least when I filled out the HAL app a long time ago, there really wasn't much of a story-time type format that Airlineapps likes to do. It was a straightforward application. And assuming it is answered honestly to the question/piece of information asked, there wasn't anywhere to stumble on. Her app should "read" no differently than his app. Hopefully one day the time will come that DL, AA, and UA take the pilot application process all in-house and a pilot applies there. Just like it is at Spirit, Frontier, jetBlue, Hawaiian, Alaska, UPS.

Thank you for your opinion. But totally feel free to share the secret sauce with the audience on the Hawaiian Airlines application. I haven't seen it, but apparently you're an expert! :)

I would really appreciate it if someone would point out to me where the "your story" essay goes on Airline Apps. I haven't been able to find it as of yet.

She copied and pasted my online app answers with some small keyword variation, that really leaves one variable here.

The one other variable is how well your meetings with them at NGPA went.

Like @mokulele said, the biggest variable is not the fact that you don't have working mammaries, but rather what happened with the face time you had at NGPA vs what happened when your GF met with the team there. I have no idea what they do at this events but I'd guess face to face interaction plays way more into them offering an interview than just about anything on a piece of paper, other than maybe the fact that you have an ATP.

Like @mokulele said, the biggest variable is not the fact that you don't have working mammaries, but rather what happened with the face time you had at NGPA vs what happened when your GF met with the team there. I have no idea what they do at this events but I'd guess face to face interaction plays way more into them offering an interview than just about anything on a piece of paper, other than maybe the fact that you have an ATP.
I'm hoping to get some face time soon. Whenever I rode jump seat all the pilots gave me numbers and emails to help me. Hopefully a similar outcome would come from a job fair. Unfortunately, over those 4-5 years I've lost all of them besides my friend from school there.

Not to be a dick or anything, but I don't want to sit next to someone for 6 hours that thinks their girlfriend got an interview because she has ovaries.

I don't get why this mindset is so widespread in aviation.

A lot of us sit in the echo chamber of pilot lounges and cockpits and if you repeat something enough, uncontested, it becomes "fact"(-ish).

Back