Have I ruined my chances?

I’m a high school dropout and received a job offer at United, and am at FedEx. You’ll be fine. Although I do think Delta refused to look at me because of that.

Heh, same - GED here when I was 16. Delta asked me a fair bit about it during the interview which was a bit of a surprise, and then didn't hire me. I can't rationalize 16 year old thinking/logic stuff to y'all 18 years later, that was over half a lifetime ago, sorry. But it all worked out and I'm where I was supposed to be, in the end, which is often how these things go. :)

Last edited:
I’m a high school dropout and received a job offer at United, and am at FedEx. You’ll be fine. Although I do think Delta refused to look at me because of that.
Heh, same - GED here when I was 16. Delta asked me a fair bit about it during the interview which was a bit of a surprise, and then didn't hire me. I can't rationalize 16 year old thinking/logic stuff to y'all 18 years later, that was over half a lifetime ago, sorry. But it all worked out and I'm where I was supposed to be, in the end, which is often how these things go. :)

Y’all never finished high school? Got a GED I assume? Obviously not my business, just curious though why that came to be, considering how successful you both are today (driven, work hard, excelled, hired at legacies).

Y’all never finished high school? Got a GED I assume? Obviously not my business, just curious though why that came to be, considering how successful you both are today (driven, work hard, excelled, hired at legacies).

Yep. GED, community college, and then I transferred to a four year state school.

I had a pretty rough family life growing up, and my dad kicked me out of the house when I was 17.

I’m proud of what I had to work through to get to where I am, but it’s not the normal path and I honestly don’t think Delta likes people that deviate from the typical career path. But I 100% ended up at the best place for me, so it’s all good!

Last edited:
Yep. GED, community college, and then I transferred to a four year state school.

I had a pretty rough family life growing up, and my dad kicked me out of the house when I was 17.

I’m proud of what I had to work through to get to where I am, but it’s not the normal path and I honestly don’t think Delta likes people that deviate from the typical career path. But I 100% ended up at the best place for me, so it’s all good!

Thank you. I’m glad to hear where you are today. Awesome work +1

Yeah, but where did y'all volunteer ?

For the OP, the puzzle has many pieces to it. Don't let that speed bump push you into the ditch. You're just about to graduate and when the time comes for an interview all these things will be considered: Academics, ratings, work history, professional growth (FO forever or upgrade, and worked in other departments like recruiting, training or ProStands) personality....

I'm a student at an aviation university right now, very close to finishing my CFI. I'll be graduating with my B.S. in aeronautics shortly and plan to instruct to build flight hours. My flying side is going great, but I had a hiccup in my academics. I had a 3.1 GPA in high school and currently have a 3.6 thus far at my university. Will that hurt my chances of getting to a legacy carrier like UAL, AAL, or DAL? On top of that, I failed my college algebra class twice (pretty lame, I know). Will these legacies look at my transcript and see that? Or are you in the clear as long as you have the diploma? I know I made those mistakes, I worked my hardest to fix them, and I learned from them and became a better person from that. However, I don't know if airlines will look at it like that.
Thanks in advance for any opinions and advice.
Humble brag?? Chesuz, kid!

UAL wishes their ranks were filled with a bunch of 3.6 aeronautics (whatever that is) grads. AA wishes its ranks were all just grads - in something. Delta? A degree with... I don't know: 6'1', square jaw, nice in a suit? Alternatively, at least 2 major assets?

Just remember to tell your interviewers that Algebra was invented by Arabs. We're not talking consulting firms here, boyo.

Carry on.

(these guys got into the state department on less.) ;)

(And, If you learn your Captain's swagger from these guys, ERAU is completely redundant.)

Last edited:
I'm 3 for 3 in 121 interviews and I don't think any of them actually asked for my transcript or diploma.

I hate to interrupt the high five-fest, but I can't tell if the OP is wound tight with crushing anxiety or if this is a Gen Z humblebrag.

A 3.6 is well above what most people get in college. GTFO and live.

I hate to interrupt the high five-fest, but I can't tell if the OP is wound tight with crushing anxiety or if this is a Gen Z humblebrag.

A 3.6 is well above what most people get in college. GTFO and live.

There was a period of time a few years ago where the only people seemingly getting hired at Delta had very high GPA's.

I, and I think a lot of folks trying to get hired 4-5 years ago, experienced rather strange interrogatories regarding our GPA at career fairs.

Delta may well have moved past the emphasis on undergrad GPA, as hiring discriminators are always being adjusted, but the idea has kind of stuck around the internet.

Whether it's this, not putting Air Lines on your resume, putting Dr. And Drive in different addresses, putting your entire training history in the application, or any number of strange talismans, what Delta wants to see on an application has always been a bit of an enigma and thus produced some strange results when it comes to forum discussions.

There was a period of time a few years ago where the only people seemingly getting hired at Delta had very high GPA's.

I, and I think a lot of folks trying to get hired 4-5 years ago, experienced rather strange interrogatories regarding our GPA at career fairs.

Delta may well have moved past the emphasis on undergrad GPA, as hiring discriminators are always being adjusted, but the idea has kind of stuck around the internet.

Whether it's this, not putting Air Lines on your resume, putting Dr. And Drive in different addresses, putting your entire training history in the application, or any number of strange talismans, what Delta wants to see on an application has always been a bit of an enigma and thus produced some strange results when it comes to forum discussions.
When i interviewed at the air line, my transcript was gone over line by line and i was questioned about several items. It all worked out in the end, we both are seeing different girls but there was some truth to that stuff. This is 5+ years ago now and I couldn't tell you my college GPA now because who cares.

When i interviewed at the air line, my transcript was gone over line by line and i was questioned about several items. It all worked out in the end, we both are seeing different girls but there was some truth to that stuff. This is 5+ years ago now and I couldn't tell you my college GPA now because who cares.

While I didn’t interview, it was a job fair in 2016, and got questioned on my 2.962 GPA in my particular degree program. He mentioned how having a 3.0 or higher would have scored better. By the end of the conversation he wished me well, I did the same, but the feeling I had was this kid (younger than me) was a bit in over his head. He didn’t really sound that experienced in the industry and had way too much Delta bro aura coming off him. One of his sticking points was why I wasn’t captain yet, he couldn’t understand apparently why there would be a 5th yr RJ FO and a 5th yr Bus FO. So of course I googled him once I got to the airport. 3 yr ASA FO straight to Delta.

Back