H.R. 182, the Safe Skies Act (end cargo carve-out)

Had planned to for a while, but not now. What's up?

When you said something like 'what good would a union do me' the blunt fact of the matter is you have ZERO protection against the FAA if you have say an over zealous Fed in the jumpseat, an issue with your next medical, or in a myriad of other areas. If this over zealous Fed decides to go after you for a ridiculous reason good luck getting out of Skywest with a ding on your record. Also, what good would a regional only ALPA do? The dues rate would be extremely high to get the protection offered by ALPA currently.

Finally, would you be spewing this rhetoric if you were in class at day Delta and the ALPA Membership Chair came in to sign you up for ALPA?

After what I told you what happened last week, my patience is thin.
Mine too.

White Doug, I gave up on that idea a long time ago. The millions of dollars in wasted dues dollars left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.
The Trader Joe's model has something to recommend it. (I mean, it's worked for this airline for 20+ years, although that which was true yesterday won't be true tomorrow.)

Mine too.

The Trader Joe's model has something to recommend it. (I mean, it's worked for this airline for 20+ years, although that which was true yesterday won't be true tomorrow.)

The issue (and I know you know this) is that many of us on the union side of the fence get tired of carrying y'all along with our dues dollars. It's our 2% (err.. 1.9%... maybe 1.85%) and PAC contributions that are allowing ALPA to fight things like NAI, the Cargo Carve Out, the CPAP machine debacle and such. Non union carriers are fully enjoying the benefits of these wins (at absolutely no cost to themselves) as well as the pattern bargaining that got wages and other CBA wins to where they are now. The Trader Joe's model works great for YOU because YOU (and this is the royal you I'm using) get to keep your 2% and still enjoy everything we get.

The issue (and I know you know this) is that many of us on the union side of the fence get tired of carrying y'all along with our dues dollars. It's our 2% (err.. 1.9%... maybe 1.85%) and PAC contributions that are allowing ALPA to fight things like NAI, the Cargo Carve Out, the CPAP machine debacle and such. Non union carriers are fully enjoying the benefits of these wins (at absolutely no cost to themselves) as well as the pattern bargaining that got wages and other CBA wins to where they are now. The Trader Joe's model works great for YOU because YOU (and this is the royal you I'm using) get to keep your 2% and still enjoy everything we get.

Solidarity is the anti-fascism. Show solidarity even when it's not reciprocated, it's necessary.

Solidarity is the anti-fascism. Show solidarity even when it's not reciprocated, it's necessary.

I know. That's why I keep doing it. Also, it's good for my career too, so I'm ok with that.

That said, hearing people say that a non union environment benefits them when they are directly benefiting from the work of unions, is kind of frustrating.

I know. That's why I keep doing it. Also, it's good for my career too, so I'm ok with that.

That said, hearing people say that a non union environment benefits them when they are directly benefiting from the work of unions, is kind of frustrating.
I'm an inactive participant. (Don't blame me, I fund The Cause!)

And well aware. Remember, I used to work for a union airline; my departure from that carrier had zilch to do with the Association.

Like I said, you just can't fix stupid.
I bet you feel really big calling names. I happened to have graduated 3rd grade a long time ago. Every body else is trying to convince me of the error in my thought processes. In other words, they are contributing meaningful thought. You might try it some time, because while stupid may be chronic, it's best pal is adolescence in adult form.

I hope I'm not frustrating you too much... I did say this: "Look fellas, I'm not anti-union. But there are two sides to this story. I fully understand that what keeps SKW in line is (among other things) the threat of unionization."
I fully recognize the benefits I receive from unions. But total and factionalized unionization is, in my opinion, not the right path. But I've been wrong many times before. After all, I am on this forum in the first place because I value other's opinions and input.

Every body else is trying to convince me of the error in my thought processes. In other words, they are contributing meaningful thought.

Sorry, but I don't have the energy or patience anymore. I'll leave that to people who haven't watched millions get flushed down the toilet because pilots decide that they'd rather get a free ride on our coattails than contribute to the cause.

Back