H.R. 182, the Safe Skies Act (end cargo carve-out)

Ya. Unions provide quality of life. Just ask xjt endeavor envoy psa tsa horizon and comair. No offense intended, but your statement is laughable. Also, you want to talk about qol? Only union airlines furloughed after 9/11 and during the recession. There's your qol. I'm not hard core anti union like some, but the facts speak loudly here. We don't just dump the fng's at the first sign of trouble. That's a union airline thing.

Oh boy.

You seem to be conflating fatigue and quality of life. If you don't like your quality of life, then get a union to fix it. The FAA isn't responsible for getting you trip trades. They're responsible for making sure that you get adequate rest. And 117 has done that.

A union doesn't just "fix" things.

Only union airlines furloughed after 9/11 and during the recession. There's your qol. I'm not hard core anti union like some, but the facts speak loudly here. We don't just dump the fng's at the first sign of trouble. That's a union airline thing.
My contention is that quality of life is eroded under 117, and that does affect rest in many circumstances.

First off, you are correct. Many non union airlines didn't furlough after 9-11. They just shut down.

Secondly, dumping the new guys has very little to do with a union. If a company wants to get expenses off their books, the easiest way to do it is remove pay roll. I suppose at a non union airline they could just arbitrarily slash pay (been done before) as a cost savings instead of removing junior guys, but that's not really much better. In fact, I'd contend that's worse.

Finally, while YOUR quality of life might have eroded under 117, many other people's has improved or remained the same. So, that leads to the question of why has your quality of life eroded. Dig a bit.

First off, you are correct. Many non union airlines didn't furlough after 9-11. They just shut down.

Secondly, dumping the new guys has very little to do with a union. If a company wants to get expenses off their books, the easiest way to do it is remove pay roll. I suppose at a non union airline they could just arbitrarily slash pay (been done before) as a cost savings instead of removing junior guys, but that's not really much better. In fact, I'd contend that's worse.

Finally, while YOUR quality of life might have eroded under 117, many other people's has improved or remained the same. So, that leads to the question of why has your quality of life eroded. Dig a bit.
Look fellas, I'm not anti-union. But there are two sides to this story. I fully understand that what keeps SKW in line is (among other things) the threat of unionization. They are in fact a necessary evil. But you would be hard-pressed to convince me that bringing a union on-property would be good for me. The only way I could ever envision a union making life better here is if there were a nationwide all-inclusive regional-pilot union. Then we as an industry could actually get somewhere. I hate the fact that SKW has taken union work (think horizon, eagle), and can not comprehend how this has hurt my fellow pilots. But again, only an industry-wide union will stop these and many other problems.
But a SKW alpa? Not helpful. Regional alpa? Now we're talking.

Look fellas, I'm not anti-union. But there are two sides to this story. I fully understand that what keeps SKW in line is (among other things) the threat of unionization. They are in fact a necessary evil. But you would be hard-pressed to convince me that bringing a union on-property would be good for me. The only way I could ever envision a union making life better here is if there were a nationwide all-inclusive regional-pilot union. Then we as an industry could actually get somewhere. I hate the fact that SKW has taken union work (think horizon, eagle), and can not comprehend how this has hurt my fellow pilots. But again, only an industry-wide union will stop these and many other problems.
But a SKW alpa? Not helpful. Regional alpa? Now we're talking.

Before I go in depth further, what is your ultimate career goal? Bluntly put, do you plan on staying at Skywest?

What's your point?

Yes, the onus is still on a flight crew member to reject such treatment. I never said it wasn't.
I guess my point is that this only happens at 135 operators because pilots let it happen. (It's like a lot of things in this industry, really)

24-hour call is, as I understand it, not permitted under Part 135; if outfits are doing that, then the pilots need to say "no".

I guess my point is that this only happens at 135 operators because pilots let it happen. (It's like a lot of things in this industry, really)

24-hour call is, as I understand it, not permitted under Part 135; if outfits are doing that, then the pilots need to say "no".

You're correct, it is not permitted. I think a lot of guys allow it to happen because they're afraid of getting fired. Personally, I'd rather be unemployed than work at a place that blatantly disregards the rules.

You're correct, it is not permitted. I think a lot of guys allow it to happen because they're afraid of getting fired. Personally, I'd rather be unemployed than work at a place that blatantly disregards the rules.
I'd imagine the discussion would go something like this with me:

"We're going to put you on 24-hour short call when regulations do not permit it, do this, or you're fired."
"Up yours, guess I'll need to find a new job if you want to do that, then."

Back