Gulfstream Int'l Flight Academy

Re: Gulfstream Int\'l Flight Academy

NDB? They're getting phased out. In fact, I haven't done an NDB approach (in real life or in the simulator), as far as I remember this CENTURY.

I flew Beech 1900D's, which is more or less the "DC-3" of the regional airline fleet and we had standard gyroscopic RMI's. Besides, if you were down to a fixed-card RMI to do a non-precision approach, chances are you'd be looking at diverting to your alternate

[ QUOTE ]
Mike D,

You have missed the point completely... Maybe you shouldn't have skipped the instructing part, then you would know what I am talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have partly misunderstood your overall meaning with how you wrote it, but I'm open minded to further explanations, no problemo there. Even though I'm not a formal IP in the Air Force, as a flight leader, I almost have to assume quasi-IP duties everytime I fly with an inexperienced wingman...everything from monitoring whether or not they're in the appropriate formation, to watching their bomb passes and analyzing their parameters (dive angle, air speed, bomb wire, any bank/slip imputs, their safe escape maneuver) in order to know which corrections to have them make in subsequent passes, and everything else needed to run an effective mission debrief. The mission debrief covers not only what was done right, but what could've been done better for the both (or all four) pilots in the flight.

[ QUOTE ]

When I say you should know everything before you step into the plane with the student that means everything you are to teach them (how about everything the FAA wants us to teach per the PTS). If you did not know the definition of something or how to explain something in the PTS then YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN YOUR TICKET PERIOD. Yes, the ticket is a license to learn BUT if you have the foundation down when you get the ticket then you are re-enforcing and committing to memory, not learning something new. Yes, you will learn new things when you fly and as you should. You will learn something new or learn something you have forgotten every flying day for the rest of your life. Yes, people have different learning styles and you will have to adapt to them as a CFI when explaining things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Appreciate the clarification. Sounded different to me in the original post, but that's water under the bridge. Agree overall with this.

[ QUOTE ]

My point about CFI's not learning anything new was that after a few students the material repeats itself. Yes, you can find new way's to introduce the material and flight lessons but if you ask any HONEST CFI if they do, they will say I have found that this (being one way for the particular situation) works best and that is the way I teach it.

IN MY OPINION, My knowledge and stick skills as a CFI "who does not fly the plane most of the time" are not advancing the way I would like to see them advance. This is why I say I am bored with the CFI route. I am happy for those who still feel they are getting something new every day from it. I happen to know alot of CFI's that feel the same way I do. Does this mean that they show up and act like a bump on a log with their student? NO!!! We are professionals and I will be the first one to tell you that I take my instruction very seriously especially when someones life is on the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, this I can understand a little better. Just what I said before, and what you touched on, about the whole simply being ready for some more challenge and a "move up the ladder." Understandable based on what types of instruction you're giving. If it's basic PVT all the time, other than adapting to students needs regards knowing 2 or 3 ways to teach the same idea, I can see how, for your stick skills, the same repetitive PTS stuff can get boring. Fair.

[ QUOTE ]

You think that just because I say that I am a proficient CFI and feel I have learned what I needed to as a CFI that I would push the envelope in bad WX or make a "go" decision when it was obviously a "no go" decision? FSI is "probably" the most thorough flight school in the nation and you think that they teach their pilots bad habits and to be overconfident. Come on Mike, you have to admit that was a stupid statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't a direct statement..more of a roundabout question I was hoping you'd address. Based on your previous text, it gave the impression that FSIs teaching methods made their 300 hour grads feel "as proficient" as a 1000 hour pilot. And experience-wise/judgement-wise, that just wouldn't be true, were that the case. If you say it isn't the case here, I'll take your word; however, at least to me, the former was the impression I first got from the text.

[ QUOTE ]

You and "I" will run into stuff the rest of our flying career like that. I know that and hopefully everyone else does too. Let's just hope it doesn't kill us!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Fully agree.

[ QUOTE ]
On the flip side of the coin, I can fully appreciate your desire to move up and the feeling that you "know your job" at the level you're at.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you, that was my point the whole time since the beginning. Will I learn something new while giving dual between 700 hours and the mins of a regional? Yes, I am sure I will, but will it make any difference in my knowledge "as a CFI" or my stick skills to get me through that interview? I do not feel it will and neither does most of the CFI's I associate with. Would I learn something new in a more advanced or even at least a different aircraft doing some completely different flying (hopefully hands on, you know sole manipulator)? Yes, that is what I am talking about. Can you appreciate that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Put the way you stated it here, I can fully appreciate the point.

Just so you know, I'm not here to be anyone's enemy, not even yours. My comments were based on my impression of your post. I posted what I did hoping to solicit either a retort or clarification. Appreciate the clarifications.
smile.gif

Mike

[ QUOTE ]

You must learn to fly to very strict standards while at the same time absorbing complex (and quickly read) ATC instructions, performing checklists, conducting briefings, etc. All of this very quickly, since you are moving at a very high speed. These are not things one person can do, which is why there are two of you up front.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon now, I do this single-pilot all the time.......all except for the very high speed part!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I know two guys that breed and show Arabians that live in the DFW area. Both captains (one MD-88 and the other on the 767ER and would probably be able to offer some networking opportunities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug -

cool. I may very well know the names if their horses show on the national level, but then again I may not - there's usually a few thousand people at the national shows!
tongue.gif
I'll give you a pm.

Sarah

The NDB comment was just a little sarcasim (spell check please) thrown in to give him a hard time on the NDB thing. I actually know someone who was given a fixed card NDB approach during an interview. Others have said they have seen it as well. I would be really surprised if I ever got one with most of the regionals stepping up to the new technology equipment...ILS

Well we still do LOTS of NDBs in training, and some on the line (I've done 2 in actual, expecting many more this winter). It still has a use. At MDW when the LOC goes down, all you have is an NDB. Best approach: NDB 31C circle 22L in actual and heavy winds.
grin.gif

Mike D,
Even though I do like reading and responding to JC posts, it seems that know matter how you write a post it never really gets your point across the way you want people to interpret it. Had you and I (and everyone else that has responded to the post)sat down over a beer or starbucks and explained our position, all of our points would have been understood a little faster. Alot of this is simply ones own opinion.

The thing most people either like or don't like about me is that I do not sugar coat anything. I am straight forward and to the point. Too many people • foot around what they really want to say. Usually if I argue a point with someone on here it is either because I have done my homework on it or have witnessed it first hand and have seen the results. For instance, I have spoken with the sim instructor who goes down to FSA from Atlanta and gives the checkrides in the SAAB to the ASA students. This is why I have first hand knowledge of ASA's position on the stregths and weeknesses of the students in the program. I know you and I never debated the ASA program or at least I don't think we did, but some people act like I am just some 250 hour pilot on here hoping to pay $25K and get hired.

You will usually only see me argue with someone in a post if it relates to the difference between the ASA program and PFT, if a school is screwing a student (especially me) out of hard earned money, or the difference between "most" part 61 schools and a 141 program. Other than that I am pretty mellow on here.

Anyway, I understand we have a mutual friend so maybe we will get the chance to share a beer over some good flying stories. I would like to hear about that A-10 sometime...ILS

[ QUOTE ]
Mike D,
Even though I do like reading and responding to JC posts, it seems that know matter how you write a post it never really gets your point across the way you want people to interpret it. Had you and I (and everyone else that has responded to the post)sat down over a beer or starbucks and explained our position, all of our points would have been understood a little faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

You ain't kidding. I'm dealing with this same stuff over in the PanAm forum regards Korean pilots. But then, the PanAm forum has always seemingly been on a much shorter fuse than any other forum on this board. Why? I don't honestly know.

Agree that seeing in person would definately make anything clearer. But I appreciate your clarifying your points. Of course, by luck, the way I interperted them was off or opposite to what your intent was, but all is clear now.

I could definately use a beer or two when I get back from overseas.

Regards,

Mike

Beg to differ

"it seems that know matter how you write a post it never really gets your point across the way you want people to interpret it"

Beg to differ....but I've never had any problems understanding what MattD is trying to say. Maybe you just don't like his opinions.....

Re: Beg to differ

Ummm....well technically I'm Matt D
laugh.gif

But I believe it was supposed to be MikeD

[ QUOTE ]
Lemme see here, in just under 200 hours of dual given I've experienced and engine failure in flight, had a landing gear malfunction, and lost a vaccuum pump in the clouds. In each situation I didn't panic and simply ran my checklists and followed procedures. I get countless questions from students. If I don't know the answer, I look it up. Believe it or not, you can learn a lot that way. Maybe your 300 hour wonder pilots are good sticks, but I became a better pilot by watching my students make mistakes. It's a whole lot different when you're sitting there watching with no pressure on you while your student is flying maneuvers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm missing your point: Who's getting hired? Are the airlines stupid for hiring the person they know can fly their airplanes? Does the air force require you to spend 1200 hours in a 172 before sticking you in a $30mill jet? (An A10 pilot friend of mine less than 50). We all want to be the best pilots we can be: we also want jobs. There's no other industry I know of where you are frowned upon for not becoming a college professor before you're suitable for a job.

Everything I know about flying I've learned from the wonderful instructors I've had...they have all told me they would go PFT if they had to do it over again and could afford it. I hope they're not giving me bad advice.

Back