Grrr - Bombardier

Why don't you boys compare paychecks like real men. At the end of the day, I don't care if i'm flying a Fiesler Storch (look it up) if the pay and work rules are good enough.

Fieseler_Fi_156_Storch.jpg

Impressive little aircraft.

Why don't you boys compare paychecks like real men. At the end of the day, I don't care if i'm flying a Fiesler Storch (look it up) if the pay and work rules are good enough.

I fly what they tell me to fly....

Nice little plane, minus the paint job with the swastika on the tail. I'll fly it...as long as someone will pay for my tailwheel endorsement!! :buck:

Yeah. Apparently JTrain gets to be the resident anti-Semite today. Nice job dude. :sarcasm:

I dunno how other folks operate, but I don't know anybody that would put flaps 9 out until 180 knots (minimum speed for flight without flaps 9, the actual flap speed was 250 knots). I mean sure there were times when you'd be dropping the plane out of the sky like a fallen angel (coughSt.Louiscough), but unless you needed to get down RIGHT NOW, flaps 9 at the slowest possible speed seemed standard for most guys.

What's the point of trolling around at 250 knots and flaps 9 if you don't need it?

On the go home leg? :confused:

I always throw flaps 9 at 200 knots unless I am a good distance out. Safe for the flaps/plane and you aren't dancing with a stall. I don't like seeing the PLI if I don't have to.

Flying a light recon plane in North Africa getting shot at by Brits, Americans, etc. and following a crazy person -- this makes me think the pay and QOL would be worse than Mesa.

Personally, and this is just a guess, but I'd be willing to bet it's because the CRJ was never designed to be a part 121 aircraft. It's a stretched Challanger, and they didn't really make it into the airplane it was supposed to be until the -700 series.
:yeahthat:

Eh...I'm on the 700 which is a different animal (and the spoilers are even more crappy), but as a general rule I don't usually go flaps 8 until 200 knots at the most. Usually I wait till I'm about 10 kts over maneuvering speed on the speed card. The only time I'll drop flaps above 200 is if ATC decides to give us a crossing restriction, then half way through the descent tack a speed on there. But even then I try to use spoilers beforehand.

I used to pick flaps over spoilers, but now that fuel is expensive I try to use spoilers more because you can always put those back.

Flaps Up

I used to pick flaps over spoilers, but now that fuel is expensive I try to use spoilers more because you can always put those back.

Nobody says you can't retract flaps if ATC tells you to speed up.

I mean, you'd have to if they told you to accelerate past your current flap setting speed limit.

I know it's not typical to bring the flaps back up but it is an option.

Re: Flaps Up

I mean, you'd have to if they told you to accelerate past your current flap setting speed limit.

True dat! I forget what the situation was, I asked for flaps 9.....for some reason they weren't really necessary anymore and I called for flaps 0. The FO said "huh?"

Re: Flaps Up

True, but to me that seems a little bit of bad form to me.

Obviously if ATC jerks you around speed wise and you have to go faster than the max speed for that flap setting, they're coming back up. But its much easier to stow the boards than it is the flaps. Yeah, the speed brakes make a bit of noise, but its still less than what the flaps make as they come down (and on the CR7, any time they're more than about Flaps 20).

Also, on my aircraft when you select flaps 8 and flaps 20, if the autopilot is still on, it pitches down pretty aggresivily to maintain altitude. Probably less comfortable to the passengers than the spoilers.

On a related note, I noticed that when I got a flaps half speed message one time they came down at about the perfect speed and the autopilot had no problem counteracting the changing pitch without doing anything crazy. In my opinion, that's how they should be.

Messing with configuration seems like a good way to screw something up. Its just easier for me to wait until about maneuvering speed, drop the flaps down a notch, and wait until I'm slowed to the next one to drop the next notch of flaps.

Not saying you're wrong, just saying why I prefer not to. That is one of the few pet peves I have with some captains I fly with. Unless its unsafe or not in line with what the book says, don't tell me my technique is "wrong". I'm always open for better ways to do things, but that doesn't mean what I'm doing is wrong....

Yes, the 200kt limitation could be an issue considering if you lower to flaps 8 below 200kts, and then are assigned a speed over 200kts, you have to bring the flaps back up....

Doubling your chances for a flaps failure.

Yes, the 200kt limitation could be an issue considering if you lower to flaps 8 below 200kts, and then are assigned a speed over 200kts, you have to bring the flaps back up....

Doubling your chances for a flaps failure.

If I turn to the right and then turn back to the left am I doubling my chances for a flight control failure hydraulic failure?

If I turn to the right and then turn back to the left am I doubling my chances for a flight control failure hydraulic failure?

there is a reason they are picking on the CRJ flaps. i dont know if the old AD is still in effect, but at one point they had to carry enough fuel to fly to their alternate at max flaps... because the liked to fail. something about ###### flex shafts iirc.

Back