GIV Runway Excursion on takeoff FXE 8/21

Looks like the nose wheel steering linkage pin was left out or fell out......
Gulfstream accident FXE.jpg

I can't see them getting that far out with noticing. If it indeed came I out...I'm betting it happened during the take off roll.
Sometimes the push button on the end of the pin can jam due to corrosion (south Florida?), and if the safety catch is not attached or non existent, the pin can work its way out during taxi or takeoff. I think there have been a couple of incidents like this.

I tried to taxi a G-IV once after the steering failed, it's supposed to be possible but it's not much fun. I shut down and asked for a tug.

I'm assume it's free caster without the pin. So they'd notice if it were missing.

I'd also think that the rudder effectiveness would be good enough that it would be enough to keep it straight at the speed that they were going. The tire mark starts with 2000ft remaining.

I would be interested to read what comes out of this one.

I'm assume it's free caster without the pin. So they'd notice if it were missing.

I'd also think that the rudder effectiveness would be good enough that it would be enough to keep it straight at the speed that they were going. The tire mark starts with 2000ft remaining.

I would be interested to read what comes out of this one.
Trying to taxi without the pin installed and not noticing isn't believable. I've also never heard of one of those pins backing out, it has a push button release, a lanyard that retains that end and a safety pin with a lanyard that prevents the pushbutton from releasing on the other end.

Just speculation, but I have heard of 145 shops disabling aircraft until they get paid. South Florida G-IV with 14 people on board? Should be interesting.

That ground controller is difficult to understand. And I have an “English Proficient” limitation.?

NOTE: I am NOT drawing a conclusion here……

A couple of weeks ago in my 1st solo flight in the new plane (Phenom 300), I taxied out without connecting the nose wheel “link”. The plane handled PERFECTLY from full stop and being parked between two other aircraft. Also taxied PERFECTLY through slow movement and THREE turns. I had NO clue it was disconnected until I started taxing a little faster. When I did, the nose wheel started to “shudder”; it was pretty violent but very short-lived because I got on the breaks really fast. As soon as it started shuddering, I knew EXACTLY what was happening and just how bad I screwed this up.

Having done this, I can’t imagine how bad it would be if I were at Takeoff power. My bet is that it would have vibrated itself off the plane.

The pin is missing, more extraordinary is it appears both torque links are as well.
I’ll bet ALL of those pieces were ”debris on the runway”.

P.S. STUPID design by the way. You would think for this much money, they could engineer gear that doesn't require babysitting!!

That ground controller is difficult to understand. And I have an “English Proficient” limitation.?

A couple of weeks ago in my 1st solo flight in the new plane (Phenom 300), I taxied out without connecting the nose wheel “link”. The plane handled PERFECTLY from full stop and being parked between two other aircraft. Also taxied PERFECTLY through slow movement and THREE turns. I had NO clue it was disconnected until I started taxing a little faster. When I did, the nose wheel started to “shudder”; it was pretty violent but very short-lived because I got on the breaks really fast. As soon as it started shuddering, I knew EXACTLY what was happening and just how bad I screwed this up.

Having done this, I can’t imagine how bad it would be if I were at Takeoff power. My bet is that it would have vibrated itself off the plane.

P.S. STUPID design by the way. You would think for this much money, they could engineer gear that doesn't require babysitting!!
The Phenom doesn't have a tiller and a basic walkaround isn't babysitting.

P.S. I can probably find you a G-IV for less then the cost of your junior jet and that particular setup has been working since the'60s. Nice job on your first solo by the way, sounds like you're a top shelf pilot.
Edit: I've never seen a plane with breaks, brakes on the other hand...

The Phenom doesn't have a tiller and a basic walkaround isn't babysitting.
Really? Thank you, I guess I got distracted looking for the tiller! Thanks Captain!
You missed the point of my post, I already admitted my mistake during “a basic walkaround”
The crap engineering requires the babysitting!!

In the posted Davis video, the passengers are stating that he didn’t have any control of the plane.

The Ground Controller is Bahamian. It isn't too difficult to understand. But I'm based out of FXE and have flown in the Caribbean often enough to understand the different accents.
I’ve flown the Bahamas a lot as well. It could have been the excitement of the situation.

P.S. I can probably find you a G-IV for less then the cost of your junior jet and that particular setup has been working since the'60s. Nice job on your first solo by the way, sounds like you're a top shelf pilot.
Edit: I've never seen a plane with breaks, brakes on the other hand...
You as well. If only to be as good as you……..
P.S. Yeah, autocorrect gets us all……

I’ve flown the Bahamas a lot as well. It could have been the excitement of the situation.

Yeah. It could have been due to his excitement. I'm suprised that they get excited anymore honestly. There seems to be a disabled aircraft out there on a weekly basis. FXE is one of those rare GA airports that have emergency response on the field.

Really? Thank you, I guess I got distracted looking for the tiller! Thanks Captain!
You missed the point of my post, I already admitted my mistake during “a basic walkaround”
The crap engineering requires the babysitting!!

In the posted Davis video, the passengers are stating that he didn’t have any control of the plane.

You as well. If only to be as good as you……..
P.S. Yeah, autocorrect gets us all……
It's not crap engineering, the reason the links are easy to disconnect is to keep the steering from being damaged when it's being towed. If you're going to taxi an aircraft checking to ensure the steering is properly attached isn't asking much, but maybe you're a professional differential braker and nosewheel steering on a jet is just a luxury for you.

but maybe you're a professional differential braker and nosewheel steering on a jet is just a luxury for you.

that was the Lockheed T-33 jet. No nosewheel steering, only differential braking. Those that have, and those that will, who over-caster the nose strut and get stuck in-place, requiring ground crew to straighten it out. :)

FYI: There are literally thousands of jets out there that don’t have this design and they that aren’t damaged while being towed. This nose steering design has been around since the 10’s……

that was the Lockheed T-33 jet. No nosewheel steering, only differential braking. Those that have, and those that will, who over-caster the nose strut and get stuck in-place, requiring ground crew to straighten it out. :)
There's lot's of small GA planes with catering nosewheels also. I can recall taking off in a DA-20 (Rotax) with a slight crosswind and being grumpy about trying to take off and applying brakes at the same time.

Back