GIV Runway Excursion on takeoff FXE 8/21

Wow, I'd like to retract my previous statements but I can't. There are two seperate devices other than the pin itself that are there to ensure the pin can't fall out.
You are correct about the 2 devices, however, it has happened. If I recall, one was a construction company out of Baton Rouge. The release button had stuck, and the latch was not attached to the gear. The pin worked its way out. In the case of this accident, evidence of the ears where the pin fits being intact, and the picture of the pin on the runway appears to substantiate the fact that it can happen.

You are correct about the 2 devices, however, it has happened. If I recall, one was a construction company out of Baton Rouge. The release button had stuck, and the latch was not attached to the gear. The pin worked its way out. In the case of this accident, evidence of the ears where the pin fits being intact, and the picture of the pin on the runway appears to substantiate the fact that it can happen.
I should have been more clear, it’s obvious now that it happened. With the clip on the lanyard that is supposed to be hooked to the loop attached to the handle and the safety pin on the opposite side I find it hard to think of a scenario where that pin can dislodge itself.

I should have been more clear, it’s obvious now that it happened. With the clip on the lanyard that is supposed to be hooked to the loop attached to the handle and the safety pin on the opposite side I find it hard to think of a scenario where that pin can dislodge itself.
I zoomed in on the picture in Post #2. It's pretty blurry, but it appears that the safety latch on the end of the pin where the relesase button is located, is still attached to the strut. If that is the case, then the end of the pin must have broken off. Hopefully, the report will give us the real answer.

Looks like they picked it up by the pylons. Poor airplane, with that damage to the wing it's scrap.

My buddy in insurance is saying losses in the jet segment is off the chain this year. The CT and Naples accidents are just the most recent. He tells me if there is another one another one where it’s a “operational control” deal, the Feds are going to clamp down hard.

My buddy in insurance is saying losses in the jet segment is off the chain this year. The CT and Naples accidents are just the most recent. He tells me if there is another one another one where it’s a “operational control” deal, the Feds are going to clamp down hard.
The feds made a big deal about operational control in 135 about 16 years ago, too many airplanes on certs basically on paper only with no actual oversight by the 135. They made a fuss about it for a bit and then moved on to the next probleme du jour An older GIV isn't actually worth much, most of the capital is in the engines and the APU, the airframe is just carrying those things around at a considerable cost. Big boy toys, thin wallets should not jump in that pool.

I have a friend in reinsurance that I asked a while back about rising insurance rates in GA, he said his company left the aviation market several years prior and that others were following suit. Just way too many losses and risk.

And for operational control check this out,

Here is the NTSB report

I have a friend in reinsurance that I asked a while back about rising insurance rates in GA, he said his company left the aviation market several years prior and that others were following suit. Just way too many losses and risk.

Here is the NTSB report

Basically this. Word from older friends that if you are older than 65, insurance is really, really tough if it’s something more complicated than a Cherokee. If you’re older than 70, it ain’t happening at all unless you’re already with a carrier.

Lots of places are bailing out of insurance. Owner flown turbine is a bad market and is apparently driving a lot of loss.

Here is the NTSB report

Yipes. That’s….amazing

10 pounds in an 8 pound bag and half an inch of ice with a landing in the grass is by far the best possible outcome.

Basically this. Word from older friends that if you are older than 65, insurance is really, really tough if it’s something more complicated than a Cherokee. If you’re older than 70, it ain’t happening at all unless you’re already with a carrier.

Lots of places are bailing out of insurance. Owner flown turbine is a bad market and is apparently driving a lot of loss.

67 here. I completely understand this.

I knew a doctor that was over 70 that owned one of these for about 18 months. In that time he landed gear up not once, not twice, but three times. Probably flew it a grand total of 10 to 15 flights tops.

His insurance dropped him after the first one, he paid for the damage on the second and third one and sold it after that.
unnamed (1).jpg

Back