For All you with a CPC

teetee

You say the wash-out rate is really high with OTS. What is it with CTI? Do you find it to be the same, a little lower or significantly lower? If you really go to CTI school are you really receiving the information to pass and be able to succeed as an ATC?

My husband just finished basic. 3 people in his class passed the pre-test given the first day of class. Those 3 were not CTI grads, they were professional pilots that had worked for airlines and moved to ATC. None of the CTI grads in my husband's class would have been required to take basic if they had been hired CTI instead of OTS; however, none of them knew the information to pass basic either. It made me wonder if CTI and OTS is being classed the same in the washout rate or if it really does make a difference when they get to your facility!

You say the wash-out rate is really high with OTS. What is it with CTI? Do you find it to be the same, a little lower or significantly lower? If you really go to CTI school are you really receiving the information to pass and be able to succeed as an ATC?

My husband just finished basic. 3 people in his class passed the pre-test given the first day of class. Those 3 were not CTI grads, they were professional pilots that had worked for airlines and moved to ATC. None of the CTI grads in my husband's class would have been required to take basic if they had been hired CTI instead of OTS; however, none of them knew the information to pass basic either. It made me wonder if CTI and OTS is being classed the same in the washout rate or if it really does make a difference when they get to your facility!

We are just now getting our first OTS, but speaking to other facilities OTS/CTI washout rate is about the same.

since 1981, the wash out rate has been around 50% give or take, no matter where they came from.
in 1985 at OKC we only lost 4 out of 20, but after that we only had 7 of the 16 make it to FPL (old CPC). 2 other classes that when to ZAB at the same time lost more people in OKC and about the same percent at ZAB.

there were 3 CTIs and a few pilots in my Basics class. all 3 CTIs passed the pre-test. 2 or 3 others in the class (all pilots) passed as well. the highest scores, by far, were CTI though ;)

and yes, i realize that a year from now, nobody will be able to tell who was CTI/Pilot/Zero Experience. it's my belief that all other factors equal, controllers are born.

I have heard that sometimes someone that is going to wash out is given the option to move to a lower facility or such?

I have heard that sometimes someone that is going to wash out is given the option to move to a lower facility or such?

I think that all depends on the situation,from what I hears this is pretty rare now, if someone is struggeling right out of OKC, I doubt they would get a second chance, but if someone is at a high level facility, already cleared some of the stages of training, and shown the potential to be a controller but not at the highest level, then they might get a transfer.

Back